Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making your paint look old???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fitzee, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustysconny

rustysconny

And here I thought my car was a piece of shit. Maybe I won't paint it afterall.[​IMG]

2. SleestakJones

SleestakJones

I saw in the tv guide that on the Christopher Lowell show tonight he will be dabbleing with "fauxpatina" or "fauxtinkleing" as you call it.
    ...just plain gay.

Attached Files:

3. I am angry at myself for clicking on this thread. I KNEW it would be dumb, but did I click on it anyway? (sound of smack on forehead) Yes. Damn it.

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Shhhhhhh. Don't tell any one my little secret. I use cheap paint. Farm & Fleet enamal. Custom mix any color you want. $22 a gallon. Put it on with the brush. You can spray on the F&F paint with your gun if you want. Thin with up to 10% laqure thinner, paint goes on pretty thick, dries real slow and is a bitch to clean out of the gun. If you spray it on, it leaves you with that cool low gloss look everyone wants. Its actually brighter and shiny if you brush it on. :confused: Keep what you dont use sealed up tight. No wash, that's what those Califorinia Dusters are for, wipe off the bird shit with a wet paper towel- good to go, no wax, no fuss.

After a year, it starts to fade.

After 2 years it starts to chip pretty easy. Touch up the chips with what was left over from the gallon. Instant 2 shades real classy.

After 3 years it chips real easy and its pretty well shot and begins to look like real aged paint. Touch up at this point is probably a waist of time, but it gives you a cool three shade paint.

After 4 years its time to repaint, or just forget it... But it is pretty easy to change colors if you were tired of the first one. Price has only changed $3 in 4 years. If you want the rust through look, use the spray bombs, they won't "seal" the body as well as the real paint you brush on. Now, remember, don't tell anyone. :rolleyes: Gene

5. Thumper

Thumper

Cat piss will rust anything

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks great, i mean it sucks ass:D

7. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

My 50 Ford looks pretty much like a beater with several colors and surface rust. Soon it's going to get the top chopped and I'm afraid I'm going to have to do some fake old look paint on it to cover up the work. I don't want to paint the whole thing right now. I guess what I'm saying is I don't think that's wrong. So I like to see and read how people do it. Jeez, I feel like I'm on Oprah!

8. Mojo

Mojo

I think it's funny as shit that everyone tries to make their car look like it was pulled out of a barn after sitting for 40 years, but then everyone pisses at trying to make a paintjob or aluminum wheels look old. What would you do if you had a patina'd Ford like pictured in Bones post, and it was missing the front fenders, but you had some good ones laying around that were painted shiny red? Would you pop them on, and live with it, or would you try to make them match the car?

Like said, i'd use cheap paint, some type of citric juice (actually, citric acid will kill a paint job, maybe park it under a leaking tree)... i'd paint it thin on the top surfaces, so it will fade and sunburn. Also, I wouldn't prep it for paint at all. I have a car that's shedding its paint because it wasn't prepped right. I'm also thinking maybe oven cleaner might be good, it burns the hell out of paint, but if you go too much, it would make it fall off.

And Nads, I have a babyface, growing a beard makes me look older.

9. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Don't mind FITZEE he's just a NEWFIE anyway.
    haha Canadian jokes rule. Fauxtina is gay.

10. JimSibley

JimSibley

I did the chop, patch panels and the door on my 29. i liked the way the car looked but i wanted to lose the just worked on look.

Attached Files:

itsmee and iceteacharlie like this.
  11. fitzee

fitzee

This was a interest topic,seems I woke up sleeping dogs.Sorry if some of you dislike the idea.Seems your enjoying yourselfs.What is it with the "it is so Gay" What a faggy word to be using!!If it is fucked up or the shits well that is your take on it but it looks "gay" seem you guys need to come out of the closet cause the only people I hear using "it is so gay" are FAGS!!!

Thanks for all the cool pics,might give it a shot and see what we come up with.right now the old F100 is made up from 5 different trucks.Might just bang a solid color on it just to keep the fags happy!

12. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

i like it

13. This summer I saw a 'glass car with holes ground into the lower sill areas and faux "rusted". Why in the hell would a guy do that?! It was a '27 roadster style body with opening doors. That body cost well over $800 unfinished if he bought it new. A real rusted body would cost the same in these parts and need no work to acheive that "look". I happen to like 'glass, but why in the hell would a guy do that? Oh well, this thread just reminded me of that car, which had been convieniently filed under "no need to revisit"

14. 46stude

46stude

Fauxtina on a fiberglass car is gay, especially w/ rust holes ground into it!!
    I have nothing against 'glass & nothing against the fauxtina paint,
    but the two together is pretty stupid if ya ask me.

I like the "found in a field" look, but I live about 100' from Copano Bay, & salt
    water kinda eats cars up at that range if theres bare metal or rust present.
    So if I want that look, I'd have to fauxtina it so that it didn't disintegrate in 5 yrs. :rolleyes:

15. wyatt

wyatt

what fitzee said..

16. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Finish it like a blue-ribbon show dog, then drive the hell out of it for twenty or so years. It will have a very authentic look.

17. My truck was painted about 5 years ago with Spectra rattle cans, it looked great for the first 3 years cause it was parked in the garage in about a million peices, then i finally got it on the road and drove it for one summer, then it snowed real bad on haloween night and the salted and sanded the roads so i drove home from my buddy's haloween party in all the slop parked it in my driveway and left it there until spring. When i dug it out the snow bank in march to drive down to the march meet i realized my truck was rusty, My chrome lug nuts where rusty, my rocker panels and fenders were rusty, not rusted out but "aged" and i thought it looked terrible. Then i realized it was the "cool" thing to do so i left it like that because it was the first time my truck was ever up with the latest fad, and it was caused by cheap paint and laziness. Now it is resprayed with Tremclad flat black, but i think by the time spring rolls around it will probally be metal flaked green with dark green scallops. Yea thats right, after 5 years i am finally gonna paint it

18. Are the rolling bones cars gay?

19. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Not the cars but I don't dig the paint.

20. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Interesting topic. I agree with a previous post. Build it right. Keep it for twenty years and the scars will write a book.

21. guiseart

guiseart

Just drive it for about 20 years... it'll look old before ya know it

22. tat2

tat2

Tim, Your wife did a great job! That pickup looks really cool!

23. This is a six year old thread. Beleave it or not, people are still doing this.

24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Old paint:eek: needs fixing and faking it is:eek: to each his own is so ture.

25. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

old thread alert!!!

26. no55mad

no55mad

Put a plastic tarp on it (loosly tied down) and park it where it sees lots of dust and wind.

27. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

This is the most awsome post i've seen yet!:D LOL

28. I agree that made it worth dredging this old shit up.

29. I have a '32 Ford 4 door sedan with plenty of patina. I would like to redo the fenders and gloss black lacquer would definitely clash with the rest of the car. A complete paint job should come after the driveline and that won't be for some time. About a month ago I was looking unsuccessfully for the old HAMB thread on patina to pass on to someone with a '32 truck that had a lot of patina but needed a little sheet metal work.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'll never understand it and I don't want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.