Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hurst Racing Tires Back In Production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODRUBBER, Nov 6, 2005.

1. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Well here we go!!! Finally have digital camera!!! And almost know how to use it!!:eek:
    And have PHOTOSHOP 7!!! And have no idea what I am doing!!! :eek:
    But its a start.:)
    Adams Hot Rod Rubber "HURST RACING TIRES" 503-656-1572

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. old beet

old beet

Lookin good Cody!!!!!!....................OLDBEET

3. QQMOON

QQMOON

Cody let me know when you will be making 1200x16

4. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Suddenly I have a craving for pie!

Nice looking tires, seriously!

5. rustyparts

rustyparts
    from Clinton,Mt

Yes!! those look kool.Can't wait till you get some 16's.

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Are you grinding in the white walls, because when I look at the picture, the white wall doesn't look very even at the bottom of the picture??

7. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Yes, all of the tires you see here are ground. They sidewalls are ground on a tread laying machine. This machine was designed for laying the uncured rubber on the casing when recapping a tire. But they are also used and sold with a atachment that buffs the sidewall with a grinder and special stones. We have one of these machines in house but it needs repair. So I have been using a tire shop in Portland Oregon that buffs them for me. They have the exact machine but with a bigger horse motor on the grinder. They have been buffing tires for 25 plus years. And what I have found out is different casing buff to a different with witewall. For example the 30x10R15 Goodyear buffs to only 2" the 28x8.5R15 Michelin buffs to only 1 1/2" and the 29x7.5R15 Uniroyal buffs to 2".
    The quality is not perfect becuase the white rubber is not applied evenly when the casing is built, so the outer lip will sometimes have spots that are not even.
    Thanks Cody

8. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Nice, do you have any idea on shipping cost to Michigan? What width rim would be needed for the 30X10" ?

9. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Shipping to Michigan proably would be around $50.00-$60.00 pair. I have found Fed Ex ground to be the cheapest carrier. If you give me an exact adress I will give you an exact amount tomorrow. I have had the 30x10 mounted on 10" rim's and they looked goofy, I think the sidewall should have an 90 degree angle and the rim pulled the sidewall out. I have also had them on some 8 1/2" rim and they looked great "nice shape w/little buldge" I am sure 9 or 9 1/2 would look good too!

Thanks Cody

10. Tony

Tony

Are you guy's grinding the lettering off the back side's of the tires as well?
    My bro in law had a set and they still had the lettering on the backside from the casing's that were used to recap..
    Or are they not recap's now?

I loved the tire's, but hated the lettering..and when i start to build my 5 window these are what i was thinking of running..

Thanks.
    Tony

11. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Thanks, the shipping sounds reasonable, and 8 1/2" rims is what i planned to run. I should be ordering a pair after the "holidays"

12. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Right now we are buffing only certain tires. On some of the tires like the 30x10 the "A side" wich is usally the balckwall side has no lettering at all, except for the small print at the bead of the tire. I can buff all the lettering off of any tire if requested. Even if you dont want the whitewall but need the lettering remouved it can still be painted tire black. Thanks Cody

Attached Files:

13. Tony

Tony

Thats cool.
    Those look great. And it's good to know you'll grind them on request too.
    Thanks a lot for showing me the pics..

Tony

14. If any of you are thinking about running these tires, I'll tell you I'm totally 100% happy with mine, mine are the 2 groove cheater slicks, got em on the coupe with a 4 speed, sure makes for some fun stoplights!
    You won't be disappointed, I met Cody @ Hot Rod Reunion, his passion for this is stronger than most I've seen in the aftermarket biz, seems like they're in it for the long haul, not just here to make a buck.
    that's my $.02
    Skip :cool:

15. oneyed

oneyed
    BANNED

I waited months to get a set from NW I also tried Moon. Finally I went to Radir for a set and I had them in a week. I just hope the next time I need a set they will be available. Just remember Hot Rod guys are loyal to who helps them out the most. Otherwise the tires look good.

16. Way to go Cody !
    Nice to see ya up an runnin:)
    We met at Arlington....You and Me are gonna talk in the New Year:)

17. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

will you guy's do the bigger Pie Crust in a 29X7.5X15..
    no one dose.. and for us guys that are trying to build period correct
    60's hot rods it sux..we have to run Originals and have a slight chance of dieing......

They look really cool tho...but to wide...

Can you post a side pic of the "954"?

These are the best looking new slicks I've seen yet.

thanks
    evel

18. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Here are some pics of the 954 this tire has had the sidewall buffed to create the whitewall. It measures out to 2" wide. I also included a picture of the A side wich is the blackwall side and notice how that casing has no big lettering on the casing, The UNIROYALS I use for this mold come that way. The only promise right now in a big skinny tire is in that 30" mold. It may go 8" wide with heavy pie crust but no narrower. This 954 is a syle of pie crust. From what Ron Hurst told me it is the earliest style circa 1959 the others were made around 1962. The price on a pair of 954 slicks with sidewall buffed is $300.00 pair plus shipping.
    Thanks Cody:)

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  19. Magnus B

Magnus B

Hello

The tires looks really super great. It'd be nice to se them mounted on rims with various widths so we can see hoe they look. And maby on a car so we can se how big and wide the seem in relation to a car.

I'm mostly after a 30x8-15 or since thay aren't so bulgy looking maybe a 30x9-15. So I hope you vill try to make a tire a little narrover than tha 30x10.

Thanks, Magnus

20. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

YO MAGNUS!!
    Here is a picture of a 30X8R15 slick that was made a few years ago by HURST. We are trying to locate the correct casing so we can build this tire. Beleive me I want to start building everything narrower but casing sizes are the problems. Tall narrow casing are hard to come buy in the correct sizes.
    Thanks Cody!!!!:)

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  21. Magnus B

Magnus B

This tire is exactly what I'm looking for. I hope you can find a casing for it.

Thanks, Magnus

22. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Hey Thanks Alot for the info! We really can not get enuff!! I will be looking into it. Cody:D

23. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Howdy!! Some of you guys have been asking me to start posting picures of these tires mounted on rims. So here is some pics of our 10.00 mounted on an 7" rim:eek: I beleive this is to narrow it seems to crown out the tread and you cant lower the air pressure in an radial tire to much, say 25 psi, radial casing require air pressure to work properly. I have a bitchin set of tourque thrust that are 8 1/2" wide but I dont dare try to mount those with my hand machine. Will take one of those in next week and have it done on one of those EURO machines so I dont screw the rim up. I hope this gives you an idea of how it looks anyway. And how nice that tire does look mounted. I have had these tires mounted on 8 1/2's before and that is the perfect with for this tire. I have also had them mounted on 10" wide rims and it looked terrible, it was actually bulging out the sidewall, 9's may work but havent tried that either, 8 1/2's give the tire just the budge in the sidewall that looks correct. Thanks Cody

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  24. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I too am looking for a 30X8X15 so just know the demand is there should you find the casings. I am impressed by your service thus far just by reading this post and seeing how every request for pics or info has been posted.:)

Matt

25. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Howdy Guy's

Here is my latest creation, This tire is called the CASLER. Ron Hurst told me that there were 33 of these molds machined in 1961 by ACE molds of SO-CAL. And I believe we are proably the last ones with it in operation. It is a 26 5/8 x 7 x R15.
    Dad and I have built 4 of these since startup and this is the first one that we have been happy with. Our problem is the flow on the sidewall is not perfect so we are trying different casing sizes and manufacture's to achieve the correct size of buffed casing. This tire here is damn close we should have this thing figured out soon. But it might require a hard to get casing size&brand%style. Again this thing is not in production!!!! But you guy's will be the first to know about it. Thanks for your time!!!! Cody :)

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Now that is very cool !

27. monsterflake

monsterflake

that casler's kinda small for a 15, but it would make a nice 14 (hint,hint)...

28. Farmallmta

Farmallmta
    from P.V. Ks.

Hi, Cody. Are you referring to the Clapp whitewall grinding machine of the 1930's-'40's? I have one of these and have been grinding Firestone 721's with it with nice results. Depending on the problem you're having there is probably a way around it. What machine are you using and what problem are you having?

Clay

29. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Howdy Clay,
    Here are some pics of the machine that we have, The motor is 1 hp but is in dier need of replacement, there is the first major problem, second is the stone that I am using, I believe it is too wide and should not have the taper in it. It is also fairly worn and should be sent in for garnet to be replaced. I am not sure about the spelling but "garnet" is the abrasive coating on the grinding wheel.:eek: The name on the machine is SALSBURY and I believe it was made in this form for whitewall buffing/stud instalation/and tread laying. We have three of these machines one is for parts and the other is used everyday in our retread shop in laying the uncured rubber on the buffed tire casing. The only other problem wich I am not sure how to get around is there is only a certain amount of white on the casing that we are using and it never goes all the way to the rim. So it does not look like a traditional Bias whitewall.
    Thanks for the response.
    Cody:)

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  30. movingviolation

movingviolation

Hey Cody,

Lov'n those tires my friend! They may be just what the doctor ordered!!! In the building stage of a 50's rpu, however tires are a problem here in Canada... Can i give ya a call and see if we can make a deal happen?? Wide white pie cheaters.........ohhhhhhhhh how sweeeet it is!

Leon