Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chain Drive? anyone know this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

My camera died 30 minutes into the NSRA nats this year:mad:

Only got one pix of this car -- unbelievable! blown flattie, 3 into 4 exhaust, chain drive, more

Look for yourself!

Attached Files:

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

A waste of a perfectly good V8

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Can that move under its own power or is it just a pile of parts? Last time I looked a flathead had three exhaust ports per side.

4. JimSibley

JimSibley

Im wondering if it is even truely a flathead. Couldnt it be a sbc in flattys clothing?

5. tunglegubbin

tunglegubbin

I think it looks cool, engineered difference is always welcome.

Mechanical engineering pushed so far it's art.
    Who cares if it works well, how good drivers were any of Roth's cars?

And of coarse it's a flathead.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That car is another creation of Steve Grimes. It's been discussed here a couple of times before. He builds a cool little modified every couple of years and has them at all of the national shows. I think he has 4 or 5 by now and he never sells any of them. Someone put up a picture of his garage some time ago, wall to wall lakes modifieds.

He just gets an idea for a new one, a friend builds the chassis and he's off and running. The last one before this had a v860 and no radiator up front. It also had a cool little black convertible top that just pulled back to exit and enter. If you ever see him, stop and talk. He's one interesting guy.
    All of his cars run and drive. This one is a real flatty running through a toploader with a banjo flipped upside down so you still have 3 speed forward. On the ends of the axle there is a sprocket with a chain running back to drive the rear wheels. The 4 pipes are coming off a log manifold that is common to the three stock exhaust outlets. Clever and it makes you think.

Frank

7. JimSibley

JimSibley

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

The motor mounta are the exhaust manifold 'logs'. Pretty trick. I can't ewait to see it in person.

9. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

You're looking at the front of the engine -- notice the distributor. That's where the early one's had them.

Dang rechargable camera battery picked a really lousy time to die -- this is only pix of the car I got!

10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

do a search for columbus goodguys coverage and you will find more pics there. There are also some good shots of it at columbus on hotorod hotline.

11. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

I like it .I think I know a thing or 2 about flathead and don't think this was a miss use of a flattie.They say flathead people are a little strange, but I never seen it.I hope the builder keeps up the good work.

12. Plowboy

Plowboy

Steve is a hell of a nice guy too. He will sit with you and you will pick your brian for new ideas. He is interested in anything out of the ordinary, and loves to see the "how you did it" pictures.

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i have been stashing parts for a double chain drive race car...

'14 reo engine, '13 white od tranny, and other various goodies to make it go like stink (75+)

14. the-rodster

the-rodster

15. the-rodster

the-rodster

16. The car is very innovative with an old stye traditional look. Very cool, I'd like to see it in person.

17. repoman

repoman

Yeah, that thing belongs on the end of a chain connected to a boat.

WTF?

Why don't they belong in a T? Looks like something some crazy innnovator in the forties/early fifties might make.

18. The car is a good inspiration for using modern parts in a.....street rod.
    Striipped down roadster with cartoony short features with oh, maybe, a Caddy northstar drive train or possibly a crotch rocket engine. It's kind of a backwards modified idea. Hmmmmm....

19. I seriously wonder about anyone who can't recognize and appreciate the sheer thought & talent that goes into something this complex.

You don't have to like it, but damn, at least give the guy props for building something that most here could/would never dream of.

Some pepole have to pick everything apart I guess. :rolleyes:

JH

20. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Highly unlikely, I just checked my sbc..it only has one waterpump :D :D

CC

21. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Oh sorry my mistake, it has red wheels and a flathead, it must be “Traditional”. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

22. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

A little 'outside the box', but that's some cool shit.. as was mentioned, the inverted rear drove the chains plus had some spring loaded bogie sprockets as tensioners. His cars are 'different' but always loaded with ideas and are mechanically though out very well...

CC

23. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Despite the remarkable engineering, I just can't get past that fake blower. Poor sense of humor I guess.

24. Winfab

Winfab

Very unique and creative. Thinking "outside the box". Maybe nobody ever showed him the "box". I think I remember the car from a couple years ago...was it sort of lavender color?

I do have one question for those who saw this car in person. Does the steering wheel stay tucked under the dash, or am I missing something?

25. Hakoval Traedz

Hakoval Traedz

imo, it's genius art and master craft--too bad it has an alternator, or it could be traditional too.

26. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Anybody recognize which manufacture those wheels come from? I love the smooth dished outers- not crazy for the small cap centers.

27. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've never seen his cars in person, but I love the pictures I've seen of them.

Some guys draw cartoons of outlandish cars, others build models. This guy actually builds them in steel and makes them run!!

I think he deserves a medal.

29. Exactly! I can't believe how many dumb asses don't like this car. It truely represents hot rodding at its best without being a trailer queen. "Dare to be different" is what it's all about for me.