Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods anyone ever convert a 5 window coupe into a 3?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Apr 26, 2014.

1. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

looking for pictures of 32-34 5 windows converted to 3 window coupes.i don't think i've ever seen it done.

2. Fogger

Fogger

Since both the 3W and 5W bodies are desirable it would be a mistake to spend the time and money to convert a 5W into a 3W. On the '32 the 3W body is completely different from a 5W. Unless you have the skills of a master metal bender it's a concept and attempt that should be ignored!

3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

axle idzardi had a 33-34 five window that had the quarter windows filled and looked kinda cool

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all you would need for the conversion is a complete 3 window body.

5. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

I would take either , trust me. Just wondering if it's been done and looking for examples.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe when the Stock Car guys in New England were running out of 33-34 Coupe bodies in the 1970's they tried it, I wouldn't today. Bob

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It looks wrong... The only one I saw that looked acceptable was a 32 5w at bonneville that had sedan doors on it ... The b pillar was pushed back about 4" it looked kinda like a Chevy 3w ... The tin pieces are worth too much these days to make a bastard type car

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  8. What have U been smokin????????????

9. there was a thread started a couple of weeks ago about a 5 window a guy just bought that had the quarter windows filled. The theme was whether or not it was an old mag/cover car. Find it and have a look. Its been done many times but has not looked good. Mostly because they just filled in the quarter windows. I agree.....its an idea worth forgetting. Tim

10. The post is called "help, looking for history on 32 coupe"

11. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Thanks. I will check it out.

12. It should be an easy task for photoshop. After you decide you don't like it you won't have to spend the time to do it in metal.

Charlie Stephens

13. Uptown83

Uptown83

I knew a guy that did convert a 33/34 5 window in to a 3 window. Its a complete car now. It was sold. Dont have any pictures though. Wish I did.

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I remember that coupe, and it was cool. That is the only 5 window I have ever come across with the quarter windows blanked out to make it a 3 window.
    Personally, I would leave a 5 window as it was made. Better to make a 3 window out of a tudor body if you can't find a real 3 window.

15. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

I'm not building one , just wondering if has been done. Not everyone likes a five window. Remember tons of these cars have been cut up over the years.

Stogy likes this.
  16. I have a friend that is doing just that. The coupe was an old stock car and was extremely rough. He wanted a 3-window so this was his chance. Some of the lines aren't exactly like a 3-window but its going to be pretty cool.

mick

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  17. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Looks killer!

18. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Why would someone want to change a 5 window into a 3 window?..........I also think your smoking the new Obama Mary Jane..............run an ad and trade it to someone for a 3 window, but don't ruin a 5 window......................"THIS IS AN UNPAID ADVERTISEMENT FROM SOMEONE WHO OWNS AND LOVES 5 WINDOWS"

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

blanking out the side window doesn't make it a 3 window, it makes it a 5 window with the side windows filled in.

the coupe posted above, that guy is making a 3 window from a 5 window.

20. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why not remove the glass and install a louvred panel..would look freakin cool.....I have a 2, 3 window coupes....

21. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

What is this worth?[​IMG]

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

What is the condition of the subrails, how badly was the firewall removal done? Is the other door there? Bob

23. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

I would keep it a 5 window. On another note, I did some measuring on a Model A sport coupe and if I put on sedan doors, shortened the body behind the doors and extremely modified the back roof of a sedan to fit on it, you could build a Model A 3 window. Planned on doing that until I found a coupe top for my sport coupe. Now it will be a traditional 5 window coupe build. Fenders? I don't know yet.

24. Pete

Pete

It's been done many times.

Stogy likes this.
  25. Pete

Pete

I thought this was a hot rod forum.... I think most of you guys should be on the Ford barn.

Stogy likes this.
  26. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

That a boy, peter

Stogy likes this.
  27. oldfordnutt

oldfordnutt
    from Modesto,Ca

Question is why, one can be seen in legendary custom cars & hot rods of Gene Winfield by David Grant, page 10. Also on cover of Rod & Custom June 53. By the way that guy now drives a 3 win.

28. Pete

Pete

My question is why not..
    For instance.. If I had a beat 34 five window and a pair of 2 door sedan doors... Ummm pretty easy to turn that into a 3 window.

I've seen folks on this board do much worse. How about a very nice 32 4 door into a coupe.. Yup, I'd do that do.

Just sayin.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Pete

Pete

I'm pretty sure koolcat didn't say he was doing it but simply asked if it had been done and if so.... Post some pics.