Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric Pump Noise Reducer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33WIRE, May 5, 2014.

1. 33WIRE

33WIRE

Saw this on another site so thought I would try it for my Carter 4070 vane pump. Use a GM trans mount, cheap; about 5 bucks. Totally isolates the pump in rubber from the frame. You can still hear the pump but not like you have a can opener running on the seat next to you.

Attached Files:

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Rubber isolator pads. They sell for $1 ea. and are much smaller, and clean looking. They also come in various sizes with either threaded studs, or threaded holes. I used two 1/4" stud style to mount mine and eliminate the noise.
    [​IMG]

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JFYI, you may have to reposition your pump as they are supposed to be mounted with the motor down. :)

4. 33WIRE

33WIRE

My pump is an old one and stamped into the top of the motor says " this end up". The new ones mount with the motor down and have push on connections that will fall off. Mine has studs with nuts....Greg

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought my first one over 10 years ago and figured they always the same. :eek:...:cool:

6. 33WIRE

33WIRE

This pump is probably 25+ years old; regardless the pump is way below the stock Model A tank so head press from the tank will fill the motor if it needs to. I have a new one too for backup..probably sit in the trunk forever! thanks....Greg

7. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

if i dont hear my pump i start worrying,

8. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

My 4070 Carter was makin an odd noise that happened to coincide w an engin falter that I noticed when "launchin" from the CHP lot on the Coronado side of the Coronado bridge some time back -- I began my "launch" thinkin maybe I'd just gotten some bad fuel - had just gotten some bout 20 min earlier --right AT the point of no return, I aborted "takeoff" as I didn't wanta be stranded on the bridge myself:rolleyes: after doin more then a hundred rescues ON the bridge fer others - I KNOW firsthand how complicated things kin git how FAST!:eek:

backed down the inside fast lane w everythin LIT UP - back to the bridge plaza -- my pump's on the outside of the frame under the driver's side rear door - put a screwdriver to it and listened -- BAD pump!

IF I'd continued out onta the bridge, likely, I'da been featured in the local news media fer causin a traffic tieup --

Called a tow -- aGIN :mad:

if it had been Beulah, SHE has a spare pump in onea her storage compartments -- coulda changed it out right there @ the plaza -- Beulah'd had pump "issues" a coupla times over her 40 year history [ why she carried a spare ]

only come home on a tow ONCE in her career!

The Merc's been FOUR times now in just a coupla years

ah well