Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical what bearing to use in shorten 49-54 GM column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, May 5, 2014.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am thinking of using my stock column in my 53 wagon ( so I can use a factory vintage corvette wheel) what bearing are folks using in the bottom (that can be welded to column housing). I plan to shape the shaft to fit a in a 3/4 D universal to connect to my rack (using a Mustang II aftermarket front susp.

2. 327Eric

327Eric

I'm shooting from the hip here, because I don't know anything about 53's, but I just went through the lower bearing on my 59 El Camino. It had a 5/8 shaft. the bottom of the column has 2 holes drilled at opposing angles, to allow adjustment. replacement bearings are available, for about 100 bucks. Being eternally broke, I found one out of a 67 Chevy truck at the junkyard, that I cleaned up and greased. I found both of these bearing assemblys were the same, and also worked on a column I shortened from a 71 Chevy truck, for another project. seems to be the same as my Chevelle column too. Hope this helps.

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-...-column-automatic-transmission-1959-1964.html

3. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Use the same one for the top with a spring and locking collar below it to keep the spring in place. That way you can always remove it if needed.

4. Orchard Hardware over here in So Cal carry these items.

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

That bearing in the picture looks right...you need 3/4" id, and I think it's just over 1.5" od. to fit in the 1-3/4" od column tube

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

thanks everyone but why a spring . So you use a bearing with a lock collar to keep from welding it in.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I think the spring goes under the steering wheel, pushing against the top bearing (the original design of many Chevys is like this). Then the collar against the lower bearing, holds the shaft from moving up into the column.

8. Heres a couple pictures of how I did the modification on a 51 I use to own.
    As Squirrel mentioned,the bearing might be a bit smaller than the tube.
    So at the end of the column tube it tappers into a smaller diameter. Utilize that by shaving it down(and keep the cut square) with a cutting wheel or grinder blade and test fit the bearing until it fits snug.
    Now go back on the tube and cut to shorten tube to desired length.

Attached Files:

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's the exact same bearing and collar I used on my Austin when I cut the stock column to adapt to the Corvair box. Got mine at my local Ace Hardware store.

10. Rocket88

Rocket88

I made my own with a hole saw and some 3/4" Teflon.