Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 V8-60 Bantam Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greg in Jax, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Not bad. Will think about the windshield and rear fender opening. As for the headlights, They are sitting on the fender in the photo instead of being properly mounted. The originals sit up higher as in the attached photo. That is the way they would look in the photo. What do you think about that? Greg

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Stan, you are right about the headlight size. These are the 682s that are popular with a lot of rodders and take 7" sealed beams. Outside diameter is 8". The correct lights for the Bantam are 6 3/8 inches in diameter. I have been looking for something that is a better fit, have not yet found it. Will look at Peo Boys, but 5" is probably on the small size. Take a look at the photo of the green and yellow roadster. Those are what I need, just about impossible to find. Thanks! Greg

Attached Files:

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I agree, looks great Greg. I would prefer the Austin fenders on mine too but I doubt a change is in the cards at this point.

Here's my headlights, chrome aftermarket things that came with it.

Paul

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Blowby, Yup your grille definitely needs a grille badge. Got your PM. Watch your mail next week.

Lee

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hey, a shout out and thank you to Grandadeo Lee for the grill badge, my truck finally has an identity! They must have changed the mounting holes in the grill at some point, mine has one in each of two grill bars thereby rotating the badge 90 degrees. Easy enough to rectify. Wish I had something to offer you in return Lee. If you ever get to San Francisco let me know.

Paul

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Exactly what the grille needed. Making new mounting holes for it will be the easiest work that you have done on the truck yet.

7. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Paul, sorry about it not lining up right on your grille. Since it's NOS maybe it's still under warranty and we can exchange it. Seriously, I'm glad after 40 years of sitting in a box of stuff on my dresser it's found a proper home on your Bantam. Happy Motoring. :)

Lee

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Greg,

That is a great looking little car! I still think the lights need to be down in front a little more.

9. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I don't know what to say about this other than those are really attractive little car's. This project is so wicked talk about a little sleeper.

10. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I listened. I just got some 6" diameter headlight shells that are also a lot shorter. Will get some photos up on the thread in a week or so when I am back in town. Thanks again for keeping the comments coming!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Excellent little car.

12. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Making some progress. Drive train is complete, with the top-shift T-96 transmission in place and everything in final position. Pedal assembly and brake m/cyl in final position, body finally mounted, doors lined up and closing properly. 6" headlights on hand (with 5 3/4" automotive sealed beams to go in them), better condition Austin front fenders obtained and Austin beavertail rear fenders mounted. Rear bumper located and mounted for fit, spare tire mount reinforced. Photos show the current state - the front fender is just held on with vise grips, so not quite perfect but you get the idea. Sills not mounted between the front and rear fenders (see earlier pictures with Austin fenders), because I have to modify them to fit the Austin rear fenders. I think that this takes into account all of the (valuable!) comments from members. Comments? Thanks! SSPX0168.jpg SSPX0169.jpg SSPX0170.jpg SSPX0171.jpg SSPX0172.jpg

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  13. There was a pair of Bantam headlights on Ebay while the HAMB was down... was hoping that you had seen them.

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice and well built . Looks like a lot of fun.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think that's the best it's looked since you began posting pictures. I'd suggest you consider bobbing the front bottom of the rear fenders to get rid of the "hook", although that might change depending on what the missing sill looks like.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I saw them, but they were not Bantam. They were British Austin, and I have a pair. These 6" Ford tractor lights turned out pretty well, and I found a pair of 12V military sealed beams that fit them.

Thanks. Here is what the sill piece looks like.
    with_1934_Fenders3.jpg

volvobrynk, AHotRod and jimcolwell like this.
  17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Uh-huh. I like the beavertail curve at the back of the rusty rears -- complements the front fenders nicely -- but I do think the front of them needs some help.

18. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

This is how the fenders tie into the sill panel. I can't mount the sill panels until I modify them to tie into the front edge of the rear fenders. 31-American-Austin-142-Rdstr-DV-09-AI-01.jpg

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D The more that I see of that Bantam,the more that I believe that there were two of them around Vero Beach where I grew up.They are cute little buggers.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That looks right. If that's what you're going for, you're golden.

21. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

What wheels are you using? Looks like 1500 MGA 15".
    cheers,
    Stewart.

22. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Very early Sprite 13". The have the same 4X4" bolt pattern as the original Bantam 15" wheels and gave me a little bit of a drop.

23. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Greg,
    Are you going to slant the wind screen back? Looking good!

24. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I still have not decided. I will do some playing around with it and post some photos. Thanks for your post!

25. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Greg,

I've been watching your build for some time and I like your car more every time I see it. The Austin fenders do compliment the build very well and with the sill will look great. I remember my 39 Plymouth had the bobbed fenders, which looked great without a running board or a sill, but otherwise. In fact, that was one of the nicer parts of my car. Are you still considering the running boards you had mocked up earlier?

Personally, I like the current rake of the windshield as well as the height of it. Which headlights have you decided to use, the teardrop shaped ones or the others? Also, I would love to see what a bumper like mine would look like on there.

I can't wait to see the next progress updates!

26. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I played with it for about an hour today. Thanks for the suggestion, but I am leaving it as it is. The cockpit area is too small and the steering wheel too close to make it look good with any more rake.

Leaving the windshield as it is, as I commented above. No running boards with the Austin fenders, they are narrower than the Bantam fenders and it just did not look right. Going with the Ford tractor lights in the last photos. They are about 3/8" smaller than the original Bantam lights so they fit the proportions pretty well. A pair of the 682s are yours if you think you can use them on the woodie. Thanks!

volvobrynk and rg171352 like this.
  27. just cut off the chokes like the so-cal lakester.

28. Skirts also look fantastic on these cars. AAnd it's a removable option that can fit any fender shape. An easy thing that completely changes the look of a car

29. totally missed the whole skirt picture thing.

30. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

Carb_Clearance_2.JPG Carb_Clearance.JPG Carb_Clearance_1.JPG Carb_Clearance_1.JPG
    Excellent idea, plenty of room to breathe now. Who needs a choke in Florida, anyway?

volvobrynk likes this.