Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. desotot

desotot

Like DD says, they are the same.

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

There isn't a riveted on tag, about the size of a business card, on the upper firewall near the passenger door with vin info? When I had the body off my frame, the vin was stamped a few times from front to back along the passenger side rail

3. Bounder

Bounder

OK here's the info off the tag on the firewall. 74 H 50 63xxx so is H the assembly point? The "H" I find is for the winsor/walkerville plant in Canada and I don't think they make Mercurys there. And of course it had a remanufactured flattie block in it.
    Boy Life's a whoopin then you die!

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

this pic is from 1984 is my last custom merc,it was a '51.Had Lincoln taillights,all smoothed out..man i miss it..hopeing to get another before i die..

Attached Files:

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Bounder,
    Typical 1950 Mercury VIN: 50LA10234M
    I think the number you gave is off of the trim plate (or something like that). On my '51, The VIN tag and the trim plate are riveted on the firewall next to eachother. They are both about the same size. Do you have both?

http://forum.love-fords.org/content.php?187-1950-Ford-Mercury-Lincoln-VIN-highs

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Bounder;\Here are photos of where the VIN# is stamped on the pass. side front frame rail of my 51 Merc. 49 and 50 are the same.
    For the purposes of posting this photo I have changed the numerals in my number for public viewing. There is one "star" followed by the year "51", followed by assembly plant "M" Metuchen, NJ. followed by five numerals, followed by an "M" and two stamped stars. The stars are close enough to the numerals so that no other numbers can be stamped in. I don't know what the "H" means in your number. I couldn't find that assembly plant code. Click on pic. to enlarge.

Attached Files:

7. Bounder

Bounder

I really appreciate the help. Just got the title out and looked at it, and the number is the same as above. 74H50XXXXX. I will look at the frame rail tomorrow and see if I can find any other series of numbers. Doesn't really matter but I would like to know. Plus like 19Forty said that doesn't look like a VIN number. I'll keep Ya posted.
    Thanks anyhow!!

8. Bounder

Bounder

Okay finally got to measure between the frame rails, they are 29 1/4 inches apart. Is this correct?

9. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I am looking to get a consensus on what radiators are being used to replace the stock flathead radiator, with the stock frame on the 49-51 mercury. I am running 350 SBC. Any help is appreciated!

Posted while on the run with Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Bounder

Bounder

Same question here 51 except I'm using a 351 w. And what brand if new, I've seen on here that a 76 dodge pickup works.

11. Moving right along thanks to Jeff Myers. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395413238.213269.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jason's Merc is going to be too kool, Looking forward to seeing it at LSR.
    Jeff Myers has worked his magic again.

[​IMG]

13. My local buddy Joe van B sourced and installed this radiator for me, mid 70's Dodge. I have SBC [+ non-stock frame]. Please note where the radiator is located, relative to the stock holes for that u-shaped radiator upper part that I don't have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Got a new house with a bigger garage so hopefully a lot faster now once I get my Merc in there. Have the back glass coming and 4 original rims for the tires. Original 49 pot metal handles are being welded then I will get them rechromed!!

15. Got my flathead all broke in, 173 torque 93hp @ 3,400. Now how do you post a vid?

Also started taking everything off the body so i can get it blasted.

16. Picked this one up yesterday for this little lady! Anybody else thinking "spoiled"? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395495306.922653.jpg

17. Bounder

Bounder

Well I'm back and the number stamped on the frame is 0074H50-63xxx. H should be the assembly point, right? I'm finding the H is for Windsor/Walkerville Plant in Windsor, Ontario says they made trucks from 1903 to 1953. Guess they made at least one mercury if my VIN is right. H was later used for Lorain, Ohio but too late for my car.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  18. Bounder

Bounder

Finally set the motor in, tomorrow we'll measure for the radiator. If I can figure how I'll have pictures.

19. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I was thinking "Blessed"!!!

Posted while on the run with Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Raising 'em right, Ether! Is that 3 or 4 Mercs for ya now?

21. Taking everything off of the body, all I have left is the rear quarters. Having a problem with the bolts that go up from inside the wheel well, the cage that holds the nut is rusted out & it is just spinning. Any good ideas how to get to the nut & hold it or how to get it off-out. Then I am going to have it blasted.

22. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Vise Grips or the Fire Wrench.....

I have just been working on the trim, door guts, and chrome pieces. Here is sneak peek....
    [​IMG]

23. http://youtu.be/_MOZ-wH7NTM See if this works. My 1949 Flathead first start up & broke in. Also took everything off the body, getting ready to take it up to the Blaster's. Need to get supplies so when i get it back i can DP90. Got my Rockers last week.

24. Starting on a 49 2 door with a big block chevy.

Attached Files:

25. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Just started tearing it down.

Attached Files:

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

Pretty good.....Needs to be lowered still.

Attached Files:

27. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Got New Shoes on the big girl and all of the stainless has been polished and cleaned up. Time to put the AC and wiring in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  28. Got the car all blasted & Dp90. Now bodywork starts.

29. Got the car set on the frame now to bolt it all together

Sent from my SCH-I915 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files: