Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Is the Yoder power hammer more versatile than the English wheel?

Ago

2. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Ago,
    Yes, with die changes you can shrink very well with a power hammer. Ewheel is primarily a stretching tool.
    We should have a thread on shrinking and stretching, would be good for more people to understand what is actually happening!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  3. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Modified my clamp to peel rolled lips on wheelhouse and door skins.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    jakespeed63 likes this.
  4. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

made 3 of these wheel stands from an old shop cart base I saved from the dumpster. Beats paying the 180.00 $ price I found on line

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    jakespeed63 likes this.
  5. Voh

Voh

Got my shrinker/stretcher stand all squared away lastnight. Will still tear it back down for paint.

I took the other half of my semi wheel, and mounted the "bender" setup on it. Unbolted the bender portion and made a new flat top for it. Pedals are MII strut rods that were the wrong angle for my MII setup. Has big return springs from an attic stair and turnbuckles for adjustment. I will still add pedal pads to it.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398258852.426354.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398258917.813728.jpg

6. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Here is the english wheel all finished up. Super stoked on how it turned out.

[​IMG]

7. v8juice

v8juice

That english wheel looks awesome

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Now knock out the parts.

Ago

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

The E-wheel looks awesome. Nice job!

10. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

53chevtrv your english wheel turned out awesome

11. Very nice, hope you're as happy with the performance as you are with its appearance. Have fun with it.

12. rodl

rodl

If the english wheel works as good as it looks - you're on a winner!

13. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I made this Chicago pneumatic type one planishing hammer. I love love love it.

Attached Files:

RMFH and 53chevtrev like this.
  14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Upgraded my engine hoist release using an old wore out swivel head ratchet handle.

Attached Files:

jakespeed63 and Zapato like this.
  15. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

that hoist release is nice,a finer adaptation of mine,gives me an idea for the non pin style jacks..

Merlin likes this.
  16. freezerburn

freezerburn

That English wheel is fantastic, mucho likeo:)

17. Here are some tools I made more than 40 years ago, a little crude; but they sure have done a lot of work over the years. They are out at my kid's place now days and are in pretty much daily use there. Made the hoist cause the one at the rental place didn't fit under dropped axles.
    roller.jpg hoist.jpg brake.jpg

View attachment 2642779
    View attachment 2642779
    View attachment 2642782

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  18. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Built this a few months back.. The internals were done by a guy on metal meet named Rick. I made everything else .. Basically just a copy of his design. I added a 3/4hp 3 phase gear motor which is run by a vfd. I added a foot pedal and a forward and reverse switch. I also started making my own dies on the lathe out of s7 tool steel. The bead roller has an adjustable top shaft which moves in 1 1/2. The side plate are half inch which are really beefy ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856813.961685.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856829.326780.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856845.576475.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856867.959737.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856878.512565.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856898.343240.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856923.859797.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856939.159776.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402856953.943315.jpg and do not flex at all.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App! Using iPhone 6

19. NONHOG

NONHOG

stump%20006.jpg stump%20003.jpg stump%20004.jpg
    Thanks but its not perfect. But it turned out o.k. I used my skill saw and cut kerf's till I could chisel what was left. Then waited a really long time and sanded with 36 grit then 80 on my air sander.
    I practiced with a piece of fir and the skill saw and I still messed up.

rockable likes this.
  20. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Love this thread I saw something like this here I think so I built one. Works great

Attached Files:

Dieselcatfish likes this.
  21. BarryA

BarryA

Made a quick bullseye pick. I can swap out the heads (made from grade 8 M16 bolts- approx 5/8")
    20140616_101058_resized.jpg
    I have seen so much torn up, thinned metal from bad 'picking-and-filing' that I have avoided using the method to any great extent, but sometimes there are hard to reach lows that need to be bumped up accurately - this tool makes it a lot easier. Just avoid using sharp points....

Mike Park and Ulu like this.
  22. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

NEW toy, I have been working to perfect it's operation, NOW stacked into a more compact footprint, I cut the gearbox off, put a pulley off a tiller, a adjustor off a lawnmower, a motor off the pocket bike project here, a 50 chain down to the "army truck" winch there on the frame. RIGHT now it is on a small trailer I kept around to make a motorcycle trailer with, but it will end up on a section of 2x2 to slide into a class 3 trailer hitch. To use it, drop it on a trailer ball, it pulls the lighter "one" to the heavier tie off point..

Pull in the belt tensioner and it pulls like a big wrecker.

Sorry, I lost the other pictures, My wife sent them to walgreens by net, they are gone off the computer?? ANOTHER F-ink mystery about computers. Some days these things are as frustrating as getting older and blinder and more frail.

Attached Files:

23. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

In a previous post a member made a toe in gauge that was pretty cool so I decided to make one.

Attached Files:

24. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That is really nice but suggest you add a fairlead.

25. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Yes, planning on it. I had a ramsey winch in a box behind a 41 chev bumper, it has a guide there on the front. Also mounted to a 2x2 to go onto a trailer quickly, or stored out of the weather in a building.. the motor went out on the Ramsey winch, Summit has them for $91 thou.. Not had a real use for it in a bit. It was kinda bothersome, would suck the bottom out of a battery in a 100' pull.

Also, A " 8 foot aframe" with outriggers... to bolt on with two bottom swivel bolts, tilt upward after threading the cable to it.. and a instant "crane" to lift truck cabs and other light bulky things.. I didn't invent this idea, but watched in amazement as a old farmer in Illinois load a small tractor with one on the back of his truck. THE tractor was three to four thousand pounds. (I ain't building nothing that heavy) Last truck cab I swapped I used my outdoor cherry picker with a 14 foot piece of 2x2 stuck into it and a chainfall.. (up near vertical) I was sweating bullets. and dodged one that day. I've turned over them cherry pickers a few times, and my current one has 13" tires on the front outriggers, splayed real wide to go outside a vehicle's footprint.
    I have a 24" Ibeam & trolley I put into the ceiling of my shop.. when I can get to it for projects in the way.

Attached Files:

26. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I have been collecting bits and pieces for a couple years now to build me an English wheel.

Started off with the purchase of a very nice 8" caster wheel from a vender at Stirling ,had a you g

lad working a co-op placement at my work who had a father with a nicely set up machine shop at home.

he took the urethane tire off the caster,turned it up on the lathe and polished to a high lustre, next I found

a nice length of 4"x4"x5/16 " thick tube for the main frame(may as well make it hard to lift and move,right?)

Adjuster is a down pressure adjusting jack (5000lb) from an airport runway broom( that's what I work on day to day)

Bought the anvil wheels from Princess Auto because I couldn't begin to build for the $19/ wheel with axle and

bearings installed... My great friend Tanner Buckley from 660 Industries built the lower anvil carrier,it's all

Machined in three pieces so that I can shim side to side to make for perfect tracking etc... Very nice job.

I made the front legs so they will remove by unbolting and then eventually when get reorganized yet again,

I will have a tube mounted to a wall in the shop so I can install it, swing it out of the way for the sake of space

when not in use and the legs are for when I need to bring to Pugsys workshop etc... And when others need it.

I am thinking about Jays roof chop already... At any rate,here it is I painted, will play with it for a while to see

what needs to be changed or modded before making it purdy, might even see if I can find a Pinstriper to

make it right,lol....oh yeah, was looking for the right adjuster wheel and looked in my surplus today to realize

a BMX wheel with knobby tire was perfect for bumping the pressure up or down easily with the touch of a knee..

yup,its a biggun! 34" throat ,big enough for anything I will ever need!

27. RamJet1

RamJet1

Sounds really cool, Chris, but for some reason, I can't see your images.

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This is super gay but it is serving its purpose. I need to blast my stock exterior insert trim on my deuce sedan. Its to long to fit in a blast cabinet and there rare enough that I dont trust a heavy handed sand blaster to fuck them up so I cut two slots in the end of a tote to slide the trim thru then I drilled a hole big enough to slide my spot blaster in and there ya have it min DSC02747.JPG DSC02748.JPG i blast cabinet. Takes a bit of time but what the hell I have time.

29. Don't know what to say Ramjet,just checked them and can see just fine,even not logged as me on the PC? I usually post and view from the iPad..

30. Bugguts

Bugguts

Super gay? I like your ingenuity. Nice use of a tote.