Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Ford 4 Door Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KomoG2, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Are your bumpers and grille painted, or just really dull?

Either way, rechroming them would go a long way to improving the car's look ... lower the car, get some proper tires & wheel covers, shave the front door handles, and put a proper paint job on it. At that point you've got all the essentials.

2. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Chili- Will take some pix that are over halfway decent next week. Probably Wednesday.

Ghost- Family ties are the best way to source parts, if not the best, often times the cheapest... lol

Skankin- Painted. Its a rattle can paint job rite now. Itll stay that way for a while cuz im a broke college kid living at home.

Wanting to know how I can improve the stance more and the handeling with out doing a whole front clip swap. Like modern spindles, s10 or so, and power disc brakes?

3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I feel ya on the budget constraints. At least spray over the spiderwebs & stuff though. While you're at it, paint your wheels too. Even a quick rattle-can job will be an improvement.

As for lowering, you can cut coils out of the front and put some blocks in the rear. You should be able to drop 2-3" that way pretty easily.

4. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Bull shit. There was plenty of mildly customized four doors running the streets and in high school parking lots.

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I'm going custom with my '54 four door Chevy. Keep up the good work un ratting that Ford.

6. 4 doors are cool. Good luck with project!

7. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

8. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Wow, ok been really slacking on here for a few months now. Heres a pic of the air cleaner I managed to get done a while ago. Gutted the old mesh and associated crap, and replaced with a paper element, paint and new hardware.

Attached Files:

9. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

10. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

It sounds like you are looking for Jamco's ball joint conversion kit with disc brakes.

You can get "skinny" boosters for under the floor power brakes too.

nuthin wrong with 4 doors.

11. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Ok so, been super slack on posting anything about the 50. Been working on my daily driver a '69 Buick Skylark and other assorted TJJ sister site stuff that haven't been taking up a lot of money. Just time. Anywho, I still want to do disc brakes all the way around. I read some of you guys like scarebird for the front convertions, I'm down with that. How about the rears? Explorer rear end, ranger? Something cheap but reliable. Anyone help me out??

12. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

We do the front - nothing from us for the rear...

13. In my 50, I have a 8" out of a fairlane and I'm running explorer disc brakes.

14. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Anyone else using something different for getting disc brakes on your rear end?

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

LAME. Besides, 4dr shoebozes look way better than 2dr ones IMO.

16. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Dod Dish Deluxe, couldnt have said it better myself!

17. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

So I finally did something worthy of posting on here today. I dropped my tank, blew out my fuel line with air and found a cool paint color that I have a question as to origionality.
    [​IMG]
    Only half of this came out of the tank.
    [​IMG]
    And these are of the color I found behind the tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Ok so I drove my car to work today, did great! But on the way back after a mile or so it started getting hiccups... Like momentary cut outs of power when ever I tried to accelerate from a stop light. Also made a vacuum like sound when it happened. Anyone know what the heck is going on with my car?

19. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Vacuum leak? Or accelerator pump starting to go?

20. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Alright, havent posted anything in a long while. I moved from Florida to Arizona and had to ship the 50 out here. Other than costing me a relative arm and a leg everythings cool. I took it to a shop because thats one of the firsts things I like to do when in a new place, find a good shop for stuff I cant do. Took the 50 in for an alignment and they basically they cant align it until i replace basically from the kingpins to the pitman/idler arms and make sure my Jamco Upper A arm mount plates were tight.

My question is what are my options for staying in a slim to none budget, be able to replace al these parts suspension and steering and be able to do so relatively easily? Any words would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

21. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Alright guys, I've got a line on relatively inexpensive air bag system off a guys truck here in town. I want to put it under my shoebox. But I have to replace all ball joints in steering and tighten up my steering box. I have searched through here and found a lot of information that helps me out. I do although have a question of advice. I want to know what would be the best way to go about upgrading the front suspension so I can more easily bag the front. Also I live in the mountains now so I've got to have it be reliable. I've got stock suspension all the way around and don't have a very large budget at the moment- damn gun shows take a bit away every time one comes around. Thanks in advance for all the help

22. It's been awhile. How's the progress?