Register now to get rid of these ads!

haneline gauges (speedo problem)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRBOB34, Jul 10, 2010.

1. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Hi Guys!
    Any one have haneline gauges? Problems?
    I'm new at this message board thing!
    I have a problem that no one can solve??
    I have a Haneline speedo (electrical) in my 32 ford,
    I also have a msd 6a blaster coil ,unilight dist.
    The speedo works for a while then goes crazy.
    Haneline claims its interference from the msd.
    I have put a capictor in line one that msd sells.
    I changed the grounds put them right to the battery.
    No help!!
    Has anyone had this problem?
    What can I do to fix it??
    2 calls to msd and haneline and still have the same problem??
    I played with it all after noon, now, it won't work at all??
    Thanks! Bob

2. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I used shielded wire ,but I still get the physo speedo at times from my audio system I think. But only when really cranked up

3. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

shielded wire for the sender?
    or the msd?
    Thanks

4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Shielded wire on the sender from transmitter to gauge

5. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Thanks!
    I put tin foil ,then a rubber heater hose around that wire, only under the dash.
    It didn't help, I will try a shielded wire all the way back. I will call Haneline
    Monday ,cause it doesn't work at all now??

6. metalman

metalman

I used Haneline in a customers car (he supplied) a few years back. Had the same issues with the speedo + the temp gauge. Haneline customer service is WORTHLESS!!! The sent me a new sender for the speedo (more $$$) to try and fix it, worked worse. Finally told me they couldn't help anymore (the were just guessing at cures, found out they just put the components sourced somewhere else together, they don't know what makes them work!)and was quick to point out that the gauges were out of warrentee since it had been a year since my customer had bought them, didn't matter we had just installed them. Did I mention their tech support is worthless? Finally got Dakota Digital ( I happened to be installing some Dakota gauges at the same time and noticed Hainline instructions were copied Dakata Digital with the name whited out, put 2 & 2 together) to send me the right speedo sender and helped me make it work.
    The wire to the speedo from the sender is VERY sensitive to interferance so you are on the right track to shield it.
    I will NEVER use Hainline again myself.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I believe I would go and get myself a mechical drive speedometer ...

[​IMG]

No electrical issues ... a speedometer cable from a 74 Monte Carlo with cruise control ( from the factory ) works perfect with the old Stewart Warner type speedometers. Below is a photo of the rear of a old speedometer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The speedometer cable from the Monte Carlo attachs to a Chevrolet transmission and then fits the rear of a standard type screw on sppedometer rear :) Nice, easy and no issues. The old SW speedometers are available new from Speedway and others or older, used units show up on eBay for 60/70 dollars or less.

8. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

On the shielded wire I use twisted/shielded and don't forget to ground the shield at each end.

9. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I have not used these guys in the past either!
    I know they have a new phone number.
    I'm thinking, they may have been sold ??
    I'm like the the metalman: I have owned these gauges for a few years.Now
    they have only 176 miles on them. and like I said before:
    the speedo doesn't work at all!!
    Thanks Guys for your help!
    I will post how I make out!

10. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Haneline told me to send speedo back for testing and maybe repair?
    I will see what they say! I have talked to several other gauge makers,
    and they don't have this problem!

11. Weasel

Weasel

Yes Haneline was sold to Nordskog last year.

12. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Well I sent the speedo back!
    Well what do you know they tested it and it doesn't work! After waiting a week!
    haneline said said $185 and 59.95(dealer cost, give me a deal!) for a new pulse generator.
    But ,It won't match the other gauge. The paint is a little different shade!!
    So then, they will sell me a new tack for dealer cost ( to match )??
    I think I will just buy something else ,That I know will work!
    I guess they think I am made of money!!
    I have been building cars for over 30 years and never had a gauge problem!
    Not good business!

13. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I put a different set of gauges in the 32.
    They work Great, No Problems.
    Haneline could have made me a better deal. the gauges were only in the car 1 month! Never worked right from the start!
    What kind of a warranty is that???
    I will never tell any one to buy Haneline again!
    They could have changed this outcome!

14. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

Hate to see Haneline maligned unjustly here. I installed a set of Haneline gauges in my 31 pickup. They looked and worked great from the start. When I wanted to exchange the set I'd bought for a different set, their customer service was great. They exchanged them without question. If you have trouble with lots of people, maybe the problem is you.

15. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I haveHaneline in my 48 chevy and I have struggled for one year to finally get them working again and it was Dakota Digital who worked with me tons to solve my problem. I still don't know what really fixed the speedo but I'm guessing it was moving the ground twice. Dakota makes the signal box for using a 91 700R4 with the Haneline electronic speedo. If Haneline didn't have the 3 in 1 gauge, I wouldn't have bought them, then again, I'll never buy them again. Good luck on your problem.

16. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I bought a set of Hanelines also. Their customer service was horrible. Had an issue with the fuel gauge. Finally bought a cheap fuel gauge and swapped the guts. This is the only way it would work.

Never again would I buy another Haneline product.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  17. metalman

metalman

Really. Unjustly? Are you referring to the original poster or to all of us that had non-working new gauges and delt with their really poor tech support and warrenty? You had good luck with Haneline it sounds but I'd say you were one of the lucky ones.

18. I've got Haneline in the A Coupe, yep the speedo fluctuates up and down then works perfect for a few miles then nothing... AARGH ! After reading the previous posts above I'll try sheilding the wiring as I like the look of the gauges and don't want to change them.

19. flat 39

flat 39

I had the same issues. Installed resistor plug wires and twisted shielded cable to the speedo. I also had to install the Dakota Digital box to make the T-5 electric sender to work correctly. After all of that, it is working correctly.

20. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I am having problems with the 5" 5 in 1 gauge for my 1950 Ford. Water temp is sorta working, gas gauge sorta works some of the time and never goes to full even though I made sure that it was the correct ohms for full and empty and verified the float.
    Speedo needle floats at 5-10 mph then jumps to 80 and sometimes will just dance. Tried several grounds, verified clean power and ground. It even does it when I have the wires disconnected to the speed sensor. The car has put on over 50 miles just trouble shooting!!
    Talked to a lady at the new number for Haneline and I got quized on the grounds, after I told her everything I did, she said a tech will call me back. So we will see what happens.
    BTW, 12volt, new wiring harness, 100 amp altenator, 8BA flathead with a C4 trans and a factory electric speed transducer.

21. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Just to give an update and give some closure on my side. It may help someone with there fluctuating speedometer needle.
    After trying everything I found on the net, nothing seemed to work. I found a really good trouble shooting article from Dakota digital and narrowed it down to electrical system noise. Grounds good and no interference from the speed sensor so it had to be something. Sitting there it hit me. Spark plugs and or wires! I have a set of morroso build a wire kit from summit for the flathead and stock plugs. After making sure the wires were a suppression kind, I found out the plugs that I thought were resistor plugs were not! Damn that autolite number system and parts person.
    I went to NGK's website and used the decoder to make a plug that will work, got it from Napa and bam! No more speedo problems. I also switched to Pertronix drop in ignition awhile back and that's when I changed the plugs to what I thought was resistor plugs.
    Remember to always start with the basics, it would have saved me months of headaches and never assume something is correct.
    Good luck on your future troubleshooting if this doesnt help you.

22. rext

rext
    from kentucky

what is the new number? The number on the instructions is wrong

23. Ment to post this a while ago.... found & fixed my problem... loose spade terminal on the alternator. Has been working purrfect since.:cool:

24. I have a set of Haneline 5 in 1 in our 50 Chevy. The speedometer dances around at about 60 MPH. I'm sure it's noise on the speed sensor lines but been too lazy to try to fix it.

Had the same issue with a Stewart Warner electric speedometer in another car and fixed it with twisted shielded sensor wires with good shield grounds.