Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Impala SS 409/425hp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mechanic58, May 1, 2014.

1. models916

models916

6 cylinder radiator. Weird button on the left of the dash trim.

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Actually it's not, If your estimating solely from BJ your making a mistake but that's your business.

From the pic's I agree the guy is off his rocker thinking he can get that much for it, Hell even if it was a matching number car on top of what he wants you still have to figure in restoration costs and such and like others have said parts are real pricey.

3. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Looks like a 409 fuel line on the frame.

4. Something doesn't smell right with this whole deal...if you're still interested in it, I'd bring an "Impala professional" with me to verify. Too many funky things going on with that car not including the owner!

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

Welp, he ended the listing (think I mentioned that already) and re-listed it with a dollar starting bid and no reserve. 3 day auction. It ends tomorrow night and it's up to about $4400 now. I had one phone call with the guy on thursday last week. I was planning to go look at it lastnight or this afternoon. He wouldn't respond to me to confirm the appointment. He also stopped responding to my emails. Either he knows this car isn't legit or he's just too lazy to do the homework to prove it. He's fixin to who-do someone I figure. I HATE being lied to. "How long have you owned this car?" "I can't remember". "Where did you get it?" "I can't remember that either". BULLSHIT.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not saying this guy is or isn't being truthful, but if someone asked me where I got a car and what I paid, I'd tell them to shove off. My come backs would be, "What's it got to do with you? You think it's stolen or something? Why do you need MY personal information? The topic is, what's it worth to YOU." If that car was only 60 miles from me, I'd have already looked at it. Phone calls and emails can be helpful, but to a car seller, it can get annoying. You're no better than the tire kickers, who got bored at home and wandered onto the for sale section of the news paper. If you're REALLY interested go look at it. See if it's real or not. If it's not a real numbers matching car, that engine and body could still make a bad ass car. '64 Impala SHELLs are hard to find here in Houston and I have not seen too many 409 short or long blocks even listed for sale. If it IS real and you missed out by not going to look at it, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass and making another, "The one's that got away." thread

EDIT: I found the ad and called a friend of mine. He's already bidding on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-I...c3ffb0b88&item=121332501384&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  7. mechanic58

mechanic58

Did you even read this thread? I never asked this guy how much he paid for this car - he divulged it without me even asking. All I did was ask him how he arrived at his original $22,500 buy it now price. He started spewing off numbers for all the shit he'd bought for this car, etc, etc. And I tried to make an appt. to go look at it and he blew me off. I am not just going to show up at this asshole's house, un-invited. That's a good way to get shot around these parts. And as far as where the car came from - I think it's a very valid question. If YOU were buying this car, wouldn't you want to know the history of it? 425hp 409 Impalas don't exactly turn up around every street corner ya know.

8. JD Miller

JD Miller

9. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

1962 is when they started stamping the last part of the vin before the suffix code. The prices of the 690 & 583 head castings have come down with the new aluminum heads. You can pick up a nice set of 690 or 583's for 1500.00.

10. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

SBC shroud L6 radiator. The idler pulley was used on manual steering cars. Can't see if it has power steering or not. It is a SS Car Vin.41447S http://www.348-409.com/6064vin.html

11. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

Or HP 327 but, yes it is the correct 3/8" line that runs under the A-arm and through the driveline tunnel.

12. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

The tach was an option even on SS cars. Someone added it at one point and appears did not do a good job of cutting the hole. Can't tell from the pic if it is a 327 6000 or 409 7000.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If I was buying a car, all I'd need to know is how much. Then, we go from there. While I misunderstood you asking him what he paid, you did write that you asked him where he got it. ME, I'd find that rude and personal, over an email or phone conversation. Those would be the questions "I" would ask in person.

My first phone call or email would have been, "I saw your ad and I'd like to come look the car over. I may be interested." That's it. No reference to history or anything else that would show my enthusiasm. Anything else would be after a greeting in person. Maybe I'm old fashioned.