Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pic request: F100 Unibody door jamb/rocker area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by afazz, May 3, 2014.

1. afazz

afazz

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I bought myself a '62 Ford F100 unibody pickup. It's pretty rusty, there are a LOT of sins under the decade-old red oxide primer lol. But it runs and drives well enough, so it will make a nice summertime cruiser.

[​IMG]

Anyway, my door jamb / rocker / step area is completely rotted away. I peeled away some aluminum flashing, drywall screws, silicone adhesive, and ancient Bondo to reveal quite the hole:

[​IMG]

Can somebody provide some detailed photos of what this area should look like? I have searched high and low, but I cannot find any detailed high-resolution photos. It looks like I can recreate the area without much trouble, my hobby is metal shaping and I'm up to the challenge.

2. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

carolina classic makes the lower pillar patch. they ain't cheap. they are also the ones who make the GOOD front cab mounts. rock auto has/had the backers cheap(i ordered them for my 62 a coupla weeks ago. i ordered my step plates from NPD. i also ordered 1 rocker from NPD. the steps and backers are pretty nice and i think are Sherman Metal parts. that rocker is fucking terrible. $30 wasted. i may use it on the right and work with it since it's here but i'll find a different vendor for the other one.

my truck needs floors, front cab mounts, lower pillars, my backers/steps/rockers look better than yours but still bad enough that they are easier to replace than patch up right. all in all about $700 worth of panels and then some more that i'll have to make for those to join to in a few places. the only reason i'm willing to put all that in this truck is because it;s a big back window short bed and i bought the truck for what those panels cost. with my recent metals purchase i've now hit the $2k mark. but that includes the truck purchase price, jag xjs front swap, explorer rear, and i've got a supposedly rebuilt aod in the deal to.....

4. afazz

afazz

Thanks for the link and the info!

Luckystiff, in my search I heard many people echo your comments about the cost and quality of the repop parts. I decided to make my own! Here are some photos in case anyone is interested:

New inner rocker:
    [​IMG]

I was able to save the last inch or so of the factory rocker, I blended it in the vertical area which is hidden under the step plate flange:
    [​IMG]

New step plates, before I bent the flanges:
    [​IMG]

And after:
    [​IMG]

New kick plate and cab support:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A-pillar transition:
    [​IMG]

B-pillar transition:
    [​IMG]

And complete!
    [​IMG]

Now onto the passenger side!

luckystiff likes this.

5. Nice work...love those unibody's

6. luckystiff

luckystiff

afazz,
    i don't know how much trouble they were but your B pillar transition patch looks good and NO ONE makes that piece and LOTS of people need them. I do. looks like your better at panel making than alot of folks i'd bet you could sell those patches.

the A pillar piece Carolina Customs makes and they are nice. they are also pretty pricey. same with their floor pans. EMS has been talking about slick side replacement metal for a few years. that b pillar patch and the high version of the trans cover are 2 items no else makes and both would probably sell well...