Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes a good point set?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59IMPALER, May 3, 2014.

1. My '53 Chevy's Pertronix just died with 3500 mi on it. My Buddy's Pertronix just died with 1000 mi on it, while his other cars' Pertronix is 8 years old. I went to Pertronix because real mechanics were saying nobody makes a well-made, durable point set anymore. What company is still proud enough to put their name on the box?

2. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Echlin and Blue Streak

3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Yup, those two.
    I haven't had good luck with Pertronix either. That bein said, I'll bet its my fault.
    Carry a spare, if it dies, it needs another set-o-points.

4. RDR

RDR

59 Impaler,
    Yep, Blue Streak or Echlin.
    I went through 3 Pertronix in my 52 Chevy in 100,000 and doggonit....no points seemed to run as good as the darned Pertronix...
    I did find out what my problem was after the second burned out module...If the key is on and engine not running..kiss it good by,..burned up.
    They failed to tell us that!
    Now they say that the Pertx II won't do that...but never owned one.
    Why Pertx don't just sell the module I'll never understand...
    Oh well, lose another customer....

5. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I have been told that Petrx needs the proper coil used their coil and have not had problems.

6. 3030

Def need the right coil and don't leave the key on as RDR said.

7. If you leave the Key on with a points set you stand a good chance of burning them up also. Why would anyone do that at all? If you must go with Points by all means go N.A.P.A.

A very happy multiple units Pertronix customer.

8. 3030

Some people just make mistakes

9. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

N.O.S. points on ebay or pertronix my pertronix is 8 yrs old .dont leave the key on!

10. Crane makes a points eliminator module similar to the Pertronix and it's actually a few dollars cheaper. They advise you to also use their coil as well. I like their piece better than the Pertronix unit.

11. pontiac

pontiac

I run Blue Streak points in my 52. I've changed the points 4-5 times in the past 10 years/80,000 miles.

12. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Crane XR-i conversion, has a dashpot adjustable rev limiter built-in also, which Pertronix does not. Several friends have used them, without problems.

13. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Pertronix on all 4 of my wagons -- more then 15 - 20 years now -- no problems at all :cool:

GOOD tip bout NOT leavin the key on when not runnin tho -- thankee -- sometimes when we come in off the road on HOT days and the Merc's overheat beeper is "singin" I'll leave the ignition on to run the lectric fan to help er cool down -- [ the first ten min after you shut it off [ any motor vehicle ] it "cooks" hotter as the coolant stops circulation ] -- in the future, I'll have it on "accessory"

I was walkin thru a parkin lot once, on a HOT day, when a car I was passin --- jist settin there -- BLEW a radiator hose w a loud BANG and a cloud of steam :eek: [ I musta jUMPED a coupla feet in the air ] seen it several times since --

Pertronix is the BEST thing since sliced bread! :D

I reMEMBER the days of points - condensors w NO regrets!

matchbook cover was the ticket -- anyone remember matchbooks?
    carried a portable dwell meter & and "adjuster" for GM too

So MANY "rescues" by day and in the dead of night beside the roads --

If I didn't have the part needed -- I'd go and GET it -- as for the woman in this story -- http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20137782,00.html -- who later became a neighbor on my street -- anuther story in itself ;) :)

Back in the day, I had a fella that kept my stock cabinate filled for me -- seems like it was *Apico* parts -- genaric, but GOOD quality! -- I guarnteed my tuneups for 10,000 miles

I carried points, condensors, rotors, and dist caps for GM, Ford, Chrysler products AND some foreign makes -- along with spare resistor blocks and rotors for HEI systems -- the most common failure parts -- [ they're all STILL in Beulah's storage compartments -- as is MOST of her equipment carried for 40+ YEARS ]

lookin to the day she'll be LIVE agin

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  14. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Have used a couple of the Cranes.No failures.
    Do like them better than the Pertronix

15. I have only run Blue Streak points systems in my car and I drive the shit out of my car everywhere. All across the U.S., Canada, etc. Snow, Sleet, Ice, Rain, etc. They have always done well by me so far (knock on wood). The set I have in now have been there for around 3-4 years now and it is my daily driver. Mind you I have a Y-Block but I'm sure the quality wouldn't change.

16. 62rebel

62rebel

wish I could get Sorensen parts again. we sell Standard (they have the Blue Streak stuff) and NAPA sells Echlin. simple drill; carry a spare set of points, a spare condenser and a spare resistor in a Ziploc bag with a point file and feeler gauge. every Falcon I've bought (every old car for that matter) has had three or four sets in the glove box... I SHOULD have been cleaning and keeping them, but I chucked them. I usually install a Duraspark II on Fords when I build them, but even they are getting hard to source and prone to failure when overheated. I'm more likely now to keep the point ignition than change it out.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Bought two sets of Napa Echlin heavy spring points & condenser last summer to the tune of damn near $50....ouch!

18. No answer on your points question, BUT, GMC BUBBA knows his way around electronic ignitions. Give him a call and get fixed up.

19. I still run a generator in the '53. When sitting at a light, the signals get slow and the lights go dim, of course. Is this system starving the pertronix for juice that could lead to early failure?

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd bank on it.

Seems like the previous generation has all jumped on the HEI/MSD/Petronix bandwagon...despite their occasional failure.
    I tried a Petronix on my F100 (350 Chev engine) but packed my trusty old Mallory and primary wire behind my passenger seat. (I'm a history/data devotee)

Sure enough, about 60 miles out (on the way home from Billetproof/Antioch) the fire went out. Removed the Petroned Delco, dropped in the Y-L, connected the ballast resistor and set timing...and drove home.
    Reset timing the next morning and trusty Mallory Y-L remains there. 30K miles or so, same points.
    My son has sent in his MSD 6A 3 times in 10 years...twice warrantied, once he had to buy it.

Too much resistance / low voltage electronics make for condemned area underhood.

21. I've always bought Blue Streak point sets. I've tried Borg Warner, Delco sets in stock cars and always went back to Blue Streaks. The engine always pulled strong up to 7k RPMs and no miss.

Bob

22. Larry T

Larry T

Just because a set of points will rev to 7000 doesn't necessarily make them good points for the street. For them to rev that high, they have to have a pretty stout spring on them to keep the contacts from bouncing. That makes for pretty quick rubbing block wear and that throws dwell out of adjustment.

I've used Accel for racing (to prove a point) and like Blue Streak or plain old Standard for the street. I used to use Delco UniSets when they first came out, but haven't had ANY luck with them lately.

23. ........I didn't think they still made these. Where do you find them?

24. Larry T

Larry T

Part number is D1007. If I were going to try to use them (I won't anymore), I'd looks for some NOS off that auction place. But I'm pretty sure that most parts houses can still get them. They are imported now, if that make a difference to you.

And maybe the auto parts houses don't handle them anymore. I haven't bought any in several years.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Never had an issue with Blue Streak.

26. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

My Standard Ignition[ Blue Streak ] have been in my car since 91 and 100,000 miles...no problems

27. no55mad

no55mad

Does anyone know what NAPA points/condensor (part #'s) will work in an older crab type Mallory dual point distributor?

28. .......Thanks. I used those all the time but, that was 30+ yrs. ago. I'm sure the imported ones aren't the same.

29. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Just posted yesterday answer toa old post........

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558974

Jim

30. BUHOG

BUHOG

Get them at the swap meets for just a couple of dollrs