Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How many are running Original Seat Frames?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, May 2, 2014.

1. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

misc jobs 004.jpg misc jobs 005.jpg misc jobs 003.jpg Being I'm in the seat frame business its always a treat to look over an original seat frame. To most it is the biggest obstacle in the way of seeing what you really drug home. Typically that dirty old thing it is hurriedly jerked out of the car and discarded directly into the dumpster. Now you can see what you really bought home and focus on the real things like the floor.:eek: But before you do that take a second look at that seat frame, take a really close look!!! Any good hardware? How about Hinges? Sliders? Loose change? :eek: All these things are becoming very valuable to the person looking for them. Ive made a lot of money selling these little bits and pieces on ebay from original take outs that were destine for the dumpster by the owners. Just a thought...

With all the cars being crushed, modified, and just sitting and rotting there is a real shortage of original seat frames. If you don't want it I bet there is some one lurking somewhere that would give their Eye teeth for a chance to snatch up a good original seat frame. For those of you who have looked for an original you know exactly what I am talking about.

A few things to consider is the condition of the framework its self. If its old enough to be a wood seat frame and the wood is in good to great shape it can be salvaged fairly easily. With some basic sheet metal skills a good wood frame can be sandwiched with sheet metal to make a very strong and safe seat frame for your traditional hot rod. Even if modifications are required replacing whole wood sections it might still be cost effective to consider it. Many of the wood frames can be combined with new tube frames that will support new seat hardware like the newer zig zag springs while keeping that original look.

Most of the vintage metal seat frames are in good enough shape where they can be modified with just a new tube or two being replaced. With a little extra support added even new zig zag springs can be installed. At first glance it could look like trash but with a little time and thought you might be able to save hundreds of dollars down the road by some simple modifications. It seems like every week someone is sending me a frame to recondition that needs a few modern upgrades. Most of the time they ship it to me and I do my thing to it and ship it back for a lot less than a new complete frame. I'm always hearing that they didn't know there was anybody who would rebuild an old seat frame. The cost savings is what really seals the deal in their minds. I'm always digging into different seat frames to see how I can replicate the original with new stuff and was wondering how many of you guys are still running a stock frame? Would you do it again? Any pics? :rolleyes:

This is one I got my hands on today out of a 40 Chevy... Think I can build a knock off of this seat that will have all the modern features but look very close to original!

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    Cosmo49 likes this.
  2. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I love the look of original seats. I kept the seat frame in my 39 ford but the springs were in bad shape so I replaced with a wood base with elastic webbing and foam. I am not liking it. I will keep and eye on how this turns out.

3. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

I got original seat frames and seats -- thought I would replace them, but I liked the way those big springs take up the bumps so I kept them...

4. Cool thread. As a furniture upholsterer for 27 years, I had a friend approach me with a broken "A" seat.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399036274.273198.jpg
    When you have a seat built for a 40 hp car, then put 400 hp in it, the brackets that hold the back put a bit of extra stress on the seat!
    But we won't toss it, we'll fix it. But still the old timey way because coil springs just work so well and he wanted the original look.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399036072.575486.jpg
    You'll see how short the original back support is on the right side. The leverage of the back bracket broke the seat frame. So I made a longer leg for the bracket and welded them together. Now we have four bolts in each leg, not 2.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399036841.844722.jpg
    Removed all the small wire spring from the coils which holds them in place and repaired the edge wire. Then, hand tie them in place making a nice sturdy unit ready for many more years of service.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399037145.842037.jpg
    Cover in burlap, stitch it down. Cotton padding, muslin, and upholster...... presto!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399037322.635236.jpg

It is cool to bring these things back to life, better than new sometimes.
    Done the original way without glue or foam.

5. I have original seats in all of my cars. I went through the phase of throwing them out and installing bucket seats. But nothing seems to fit as properly as an original, even if you have to rebuild all of it.

6. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I am a big fan of original seats, they just look right. All my cars have originals. Being too young (47) to have gotten bored with them "back when", I love the look and feel that is not like modern. Its a history lesson of sorts.

7. I modified a Minivan center seat for my Model A, but I had to do the floors anyway so making mounts was not a problem. It was a lot cheaper than trying to buy a completed seat designed for a Model A.

I had to rebuild all of the springs in my 59 ElCamino and it was a pain in the butt, but I am cheap would rather figure out how to fix it than buy replacement parts.
    But the original seat is the best fit and mounting.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

As a former bench seat replacer, (but never again!) I'm reading this with interest.

Going to make a 'traditional' mid-'30s seat for my '55 F100, '37 Ford style.
    Top and bottom bolsters, (neck & thigh) with the wood fairings on the sides...tuck and roll all the way across.

Are zig-zag springs available thru most upholstery shops? (sorry, haven't done a search yet, but as 'searches' go, many seem to end up with something that looked good in the ad, but when mentioning disappointment later on the HAMB, they get rained on with 'Oh, no...you should have called Big Bro', etc.)

I also notice you guys use old cotton from used seats...(I know, it doesn't wear out) but can you buy it new? (nobody pickin' these days, according to the news)

I hope there'll be some more pics, I have a loose plan (wood & metal, clean fabrication; hinged back with good latch)

9. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Excellent stuff guys thanks for jumping in with the how to's and responses.

It just seems that we have become the disposable generation. Rip it out and replace with new... lot of this stuff is truly traditional and in my way of thinking should be used if at all possible before buying new. If you cant get your hands on a good one to rebuild then go ahead and buy a new one. No harm no foul. Cover it up and most of the time its not the topic of conversation any way. On the flip side, keeping an uncomfortable original seat can ruin the whole driving experience as some of these seats just cant be made to be comfortable. Especially when compared to the comfort of a modern vehicles seat so the pendulum does swing both ways. ;)

10. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Me too!

11. Squablow

Squablow

One of the first things I did when redoing my '52 Ford custom was throw the 80's power velour seats in a dumpster and rebuild an original set of seat frames to recover. The rebuild involved buying a complete 4 door seat to salvage springs and tracks from, took many hours but was well worth the effort.

Modern seats in old cars look like shit. Generally there are exceptions to every rule, but I have not seen an exception to this one yet, and I've seen a lot of cars.

Bought a pair of those Model A sedan jump seats to put in my roadster over the weekend, frames are getting blasted as we speak. Had to repair the wood, broke in the same spot shown above. I'll have some hours in them, but they'll be "right" and so it'll be worth it. Was going to make a plywood bench seat, but this just seems more correct to me.

12. Atwater Mike,

New cotton is easily available by the roll.
    No-sag (continuous "S") also easily available.
    Coil springs create the thickness of a seat. They were what gave the height off the platform. They also create the "crown" of a seat when properly tied.
    No sag springs do not really create thickness. They create crown which could also be called arch.

Today, the thickness of a seat is created with a thick piece of foam over arched no-sag springs.

Many ways to do it.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

New seat cushion and backrest springs are available for your 39 Ford.
    Try Snyder's in New Springfield OH.

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Car-Line Mfg. in Beaumont TX 409-822-9757 makes new seat bottom and back rest spring assemblies for all Model Ts and Model As, plus they will make specials to your design or original samples from your other than Ford car or pickup.

15. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

16. HANKSPITBALL

HANKSPITBALL

Running the original LHD split seat in my RHD forty coupe. Wouldn't have it any other way.

17. Have the original split bench frame recovered in its period custom design in my 41 Hop Up - can't beat the look and feel of the factory seats that were made to fit the car

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, CRMINAL.

Now I can search with confidence.
    (my wife's Husq sewing machine broke the main drive belt, local sewing machine expert says that belt's no longer available. (??!$%^?)
    I look it up on the internet, little 8mm cog belt, like an R/C car...11" total, $39.55!)
    I keep lookin'...

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I always use the original seats along with the original steering column and wheel plus the gauges,I can not stand a hacked up interior with modern parts. Will be finishing the complete rebuild of the front seat in my 55 ford convertible soon which required finding springs and can not wait to get it in the car.

20. I yanked the bucket seats out of my '58 Jimmy and found a seat out of a Chevy Big truck. I got out the welder and did a couple of minor repairs and sent it to the upholsterer. Nothing fits and looks as good as the original seats.

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The original seat from my 34 Chevy coupe is good and solid, without any wood rot. The springs don't look too bad, either...Especially for being 80 years old. Of course, all of the seat padding and upholstry was mouse riddled and shot.

Wasn't really sure how comfortable it would be, if it was reupholstered though. Combining this, with wanting to install a roll bar and competition style seat belts, I went with a set of buckets from a 1968 Opel Kadette. Kept the original seat, in case I change my mind.

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Finding the old seats is the problem - as said upthread, they got junked.

23. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Metaltwister, GOOD THREAD !!! I ran a part time upholstery shop for 20+ years catering to Hot Rods, Customs and Classics.
    I have recovered and sometimes restored many old Gm Seats. I had to learn (common sense) how to re-tie coils and repair/replace coils and edge wire. I still have my sewing machine and upholstery equipment.
    My Customers were quite pleased with the finished product. They looked good and sat good. I explained to many the the Old Car Seat was made similar to Old House furniture (coils and wires tied to produce a comfortable seat base)
    Last Fall, at age 67, I bought a 1936 Chevy Standard Coach (12,966 miles) and I will be using the original seats re-covered in vinyl. I know that the old seats will be fine after a bit of tweaking here and there.
    Thanks for the Thread................................... Jeff

24. Ramblur

Ramblur

I tell people the seats in my 49 Hudson are more comfortable than the couch in my living room. Make mine stock!

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb likes this.
  25. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Jeff, as a new frame builder It started as a nitch market for me. I saw the need for aftermarket seat frames that needed to be custom shapped and built for that unique original shape. No body was building custom stuff, it was all cookie cut and dried mass produced seat frames that were built cheaply and marketed for vintage rides. Some of these frame manufactures have been building the exact same frame designs for some 25 years. Even though manufacturing process, materials, and mechanisms have improved they havent. Those aftermarket seat frames were all that were avaliable for years for the vintage car world. With no competition to motivate them to improve, they didnt. With the lack of true competition, they grew even with inflated prices and excessive amounts of negitive product reviews on line.

My goal is to encourage the use of original equipment if possible, even up date it for Mr. Customer if needed. If that cant be done, then I would be more than happy to build a beautiful new original shapped seat frame specifically for Mr. Customers ride... not a seat frame that happens to fit in their ride!

So show us your original seat frames! There are some really unique ones out there!

In fact Im currently looking for original measurements and shapes of the 36 thru 38 Burb seat frames. Rows 1,2, & 3 :rolleyes: Just in case you know anyone with some originals in their ride. As of late we are building a lot of custom COE seats? Word is finally getting out there thanks to you guys here on the HAMB and our new site. :D

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  26. All the vehicles have original seats and the projects are in need of them. I still have to fix a few bench seats, were do you get the repair parts from or what type stores to look for (I looked at the local foam and fabrics place but they didn't have spring repair parts). Also how would you beef up a stock seat for a heavy person (read fat) without making the seat a lot thicker?

27. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

When you say you want to beef up a stock seats? There are a lot of differences in seat frames. So are you wanting to beef up a 20's, 30's, or 40's era wood frame seat? Or a seat frame out of something like 50's 60's or, 70's steel tube frame? In the late 70's and 80's the transition into sheet metal seat pans started.

28. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I'm going to run my original seats in my 29 Ford. To me they just look right and the ones I have are in great shape. My original seats in my old 53 chevy were the most comfortable seats I've ever driven in, even better than my new daily drivers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. The main ones are 20's/30's wood and '47 metal frame. The '47 has been reupholstered in stock style but it feels like they used very little padding, the material is stretched over the spring sides. The springs crush down too much when I sit on it too, again it needs like overload springs :D.

Also I'm going to repair a 60's bench in the future.

I haven't rebuilt or modified any seats, just repaired or recovered. I'm thinking that to make the seat stronger you would add more of what is already there for a metal frame and do the same plus strengthen the frame on a wooden seat. Is this correct?

Ahhh, I've watched a few "how to" videos on you tube for home furniture. Great now I'm hooked and need to start collecting tools :).

30. Great thread. I'm wanting to rebuild the seat in my A pickup. It's had a lot of fixes over the years, needs a little love, but I would never replace it with a new one.

I'd love to get a little more cushion out of it though...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!