Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I missed this miserable site...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OlSchoolCruizin, May 2, 2014.

1. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Sold the Buick a while back out of necessity. I just opened a new shop and things got a bit tighter than i'd like. Blah Blah. .. So I've scoured CL and came out with a bitchin "53 Merc. She's a four door but I kinda like it in this car. Original paint, yep thats right. Not satin black so you save the shiny paint rants. Body is straight and near perfect. One small bubble patch and a few specs of surface rust thats coming through. Needs Tires. Think I'm going to try some clr and give it a good waxing. Even if its a bit rough I think it has some charm. The roof is too rough for my tastes so I'm going with a black with black metal flake shiny paints. Interior is ordered. Went with red pleated vinyl with black piping. Black period correct carpet. Crusty black car with bright red interior reminds me of something the devil would drive. Actually it wasn't the devil but a school teacher lady from Lakeland, FL. Pretty excited to have a local car and some history. Has the original flathead v8 and 3 on the tree manual trans. Runs and drive great. Chome is mostly really good. Lots of ideas flowing...What would you do? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399091680.403526.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399091713.949955.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. walter

walter

I like it!!

3. ratrod3100

ratrod3100
    from Austin

Nice!

4. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Love these front ends!

5. slammed

slammed

6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Nice car , good plan . Jack

7. missysdad1

missysdad1

Since you asked, I'd static lower it about 6" (level stance), add a pair of 1 3/4" diameter duals with Porter mufflers, give it a tasteful, single-dark-color paint job and enjoy it.

To make any "custom" changes to that near-perfect body, especially "trendy" ones like the metalflake roof you've got planned, would be a big mistake in my humble opinion.

Four door cars, especially Mercurys, Lincolns and big GM sedans, have a natural elegance that is easily lost. I'd do all I could to retain it. I hope you do, too.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

It will be interesting to see how the paint polishes up. The roof might even clean up nicely.

Nice purchase.

Neal

9. hoop

hoop

Very nice car, I like it!

10. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

Polish it and drive. That is a very nice find!

11. Sauli

Sauli

Personally, I think that car´s charm is in its unmolested, original state of survival. I´d keep it that way. The "flake" sounds like a deviation from that, though, IMHO.

12. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Thanks for all the comments and helpful links. Im really gonna work that paint and get what I can out of it. Should be interesting. The No. 7 sounds like the ticket and definitely worth a shot. Im wondering if I should still clr and warm water the surface rust. Although there isn't much, it would look much better without it. Any thoughts? Static drop is definitely part of the plan as well as dual exhaust. Anyone that can chime in on straight pipes on a flathead vs mufflers would be appreciated. Also, is it worth getting new headers or splitting the stock one? My brother is a pipe fitter and his welding skills are machine like. So i have that on my side. I'll get more pictures up soon. I drug this old gal back in the sunshine but it's raining ever since. Cant wait for this shit to stop so I can get my hands in her. It looks like everything will polish up really nice including the engine compartment. No wiring mess, no weird alterations. The green paint is still pretty nice on the engine. Interior isn't the worst I've had but it needs to be pulled out. Clean and paint the inside with rust preventative and install the new guts when they get here.

13. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

The flake roof is not a definite. I guess I worded it like it was. I don't like the rusty look so if it doesn't clean up to a respectable level I might do it.

14. roughneck424

roughneck424

I heard the story of Mom & Dad getting married and driving off on the Honeymoon in Dad's Brand new 53 Merc a zillion times. I always remember him when I see a 53 Merc
    RIP Dad.

15. 62rebel

62rebel

one of the many bonehead things I've done was selling a perfect '53 Merc just like that. dark green and no damn rust at all.

16. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

As a fellow more-door owner I say cool. I'd silver flake the roof, lower and different wheels or hubcaps, chrome reverse with Shannon caps maybe.

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I like it. If I were to do anything, maybe drop the rear an inch or two, blend in the headlight rings, full fender skirts and perhaps shaved door handles? But really it's pretty cool as it sits

18. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

I got to wok on the paint a little bit and upon closer inspection, it looks like some dildo tried to put some sort of coating on some areas. Its starting to flake off and underneath is paint that might shine up pretty well. Just wondering how I remove this without damaging the paint underneath. I can get it off with my finger nail in the flaking areas. Might try giving these sports a light rub with some thinner. Anyone else have any ideas?

19. 39 Ford

39 Ford

If you have to paint the roof use a stock type color, black, red or white. A metalflake roof looks like crap in my opinion.

20. Looks real good, I like the car.

21. That's one of the very few 4 doors I like. Its' lines look correct either in 2 door or 4 door models. I'd repaint it all shiney black, lower it 2" put on some new shocks and mild glasspacks - done.

22. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Thanks for the compliments and ideas. The nostalgic stories are cool too.

23. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

One of my favorite fifties cars. Very understated with real road race pedigree. I'm saying NO to the flake roof. Too custom, whereas a Lincoln or Merc of the era is more hot rod. Maybe chrome reverse rims, maybe just stock steels painted gold or blue, maybe blackwall tires, for a performence look. Then fit a 312 Y-block with a dual four barrel intake, from a '57 E-code.
    I don't think the Lancer caps suit the car. You know that old paint might just shine up well with a machine polish and wax job.
    It's a hot rod!

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nice car. I have a thing for any car that has original paint.

I think putting a flake roof on a car like that would be like a push up bra, false eyelashes, fishnet stockings and 6" pumps on your grandma. it is a classy old car and deserves to stay that way.

25. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Brakes are done ! Everything is new. The front hoses were the last piece of the puzzle. Napa claimed to have a solution so I had my local store order them. Unfortunately, they didn't fit. Found a place near me called Hose Makers. They had me new hoses based on the old ones in just a few minutes. Pretty impressed and will just go there from now on for these old cars. Dropped the fuel tank to give it a good restoration. I almost ordered the POR15 kit and Im glad I didn't. The tank was a disaster. Bondo, Fiberglass, All in a gooey mess. Not sure how it even held fuel. Screw driver pushed right through it. Had a heck of a time locating a new fuel tank for this model. I ended up ordering one that is actually for a 52-54 Ford and the fuel sender. The dimensions and all component placement looked the same so fingers crossed. Im sure it will work out just fine. :(. Refurbed generator and fuel pump are on the way. This thing should be pretty road worthy once everything is in place. Going to clean the bottom of the car while the tank is out and paint. The bottom of the car looks like new. A little surface rust here and there but man, Im impressed with this thing. Some crusty mud needs to come off and we'll se the whole story. I'll post some pictures soon. P.S. this site is such a great resource that it was tough to not be able to come here to get answers when I was stuck the last few day. Glad it's back up and running!