Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

This photo looks like the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix? Have seen Crosley engines built up from sheet metal and furnaced brazed together.

Ago

2. noboD

noboD

I believe at least the first year Crosley engines were made that way.

3. Yup- those are the "COBRA" Crosley engines (Copper-Brazed).

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

'46-'48, I believe.

5. fredvv44

fredvv44

I had heard that term before but didn't know what it meant. In my steam engine hobby brazing steel plate is not uncommon for making cylinders.

6. It was a sound idea that just wasn't executed properly, if I remember correctly.

Late last year I fell into a deal for a later Crosley engine and a pair of Homelites (boat engines based on the Crosley castings with 59 ci). Not sure what will happen with them, but they're neat little buggers :D

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Here's an interesting little Crosley powered dragster.

Attached Files:

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

• T001.jpg
      T001.jpg
      File size:
      146.2 KB
      Views:
  9. fredvv44

fredvv44

10. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

got the wheels and tyres on the Jappic yesterday , front end is only mocked up but the car came off the workbench and sat outside in the sun

sorry struggling to attach files from my ipad but follow the link in my signature for the latest pics and maybe someone could post a couple

11. Kume

Kume

That quarter spring chassis looks very interesting !!

12. You guys talking about the CoBra engine reminded me of its creator, Lloyd Taylor. I met him in the 1970s, and at the time, he was building water-cooled cylinder heads for VW flat fours for offroaders...

...and yes, he was making them in the same way as his Crosley engines. A really interesting guy to talk to, and I only wish I had recorded the conversations.

13. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

Looks fantastic Ade!

14. fredvv44

fredvv44

Wow, that is exciting after all the time spent. What wheels are those; they look perfect.

15. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

The front hubs are period humberette and the rears were machined up to match the fronts , the rims and spokes are all new tyres are 26x21/2 , vintage beaded edge motorcycle tyres , scary fact is they are the same size as my mountain bike ,

I think the wheels are so far the most expensive part of the project at over £1000 but they do look good and right

16. fredvv44

fredvv44

Well, it was worth it. Sometimes you have to pay to get what's right.

17. Marticelli

Marticelli

Having been a serious old bike restorer for over forty years, beaded edge wheels are my field of expertise, so when I saw that UKAde was serious about makiing a good job of the Jappic, I offered help. I also knew exactly where to get the correct stuff, which used to be cheap but sadly no longer.

Snag with wheels and tyres is they have to be dead right for the car to look right as they are such a big part of the finished vehicle. Although I am a wheelbuilder, I also have a close friend who is a pro wheel builder, fast and accurate, so I obtained the rims (made in NZ!) and fettled the hubs and then got them built and finished. We put modern bearings in the front hubs which I think is fair as the original cup and cone arrangement is only OK if everything is in perfect condition which it wasn't.

Having also fitted many BE tyres in my time, mostly for veteran and vintage motorcycles, I offered to help with this chore as they are difficult to fit at the best of times and sometimes almost impossible if you haven't got the right tools. They went on OK and were finished by lunchtime, leaving the afternoon for posing and self-congratulation!! Very pleasing all round, and well done Ade for getting the car to this stage.

Marticelli

18. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

Jappic is looking great! Wonderful work. Enjoying the progress photos.

19. Marticelli

Marticelli

Mention of Crossleys above reminds me that when I was at Bonneville in September 2008 helping a friend run a pair of LSR MGs, there was a neat Crossley running too, which looked very well prepared and attractively understated. Here some pics of it. I know nothing more about the car, but it probably has a big block Chevy engine hidden under the hood!

Perhaps others here know the car and can tell us more...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marticelli

20. SR100

SR100

No, it's stock. J is the international racing class for 500-750cc engines. Pro is production coupes or sedans, so it has to have a stock block Crosley. They are chasing a record currently at 110mph. There was a brief fad for modified Crosleys at Bonneville in the 50's. Howard Johansen of Howard Cams had a chopped GMC-powered one.
    If I were modifying one, a Legends race car drive train would make for quite the sleeper.

21. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

22. fredvv44

fredvv44

Great stuff. I liked #5 too about Seagrave setting a record at Daytona.

23. jpm49c

jpm49c

Here's a COBRA Crosley cutaway i made for display.

Attached Files:

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I still like the idea that an engine can be constructed rather than carved. Engines at quite the opposite extreme of scale are also made like this: locomotive and ship diesels.

25. chrisp

chrisp

At our shop we have a flat 4 Panhard engine build that way too, the block is all bolted together, they made a flat 12 that way also.

26. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I have some images of a Hot Rod article showing a DOHC engine he was making that way.

Attached Files:

27. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Not sure if I've posted these already in this thread, but with the Crosley talk I'll put them here.
    Crosley powered, Miller front-drive inspired cycle car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hotrodjeep likes this.
  28. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

That mini miller is a work of art , stunning fillet brazing on the front axle , it will be a shame if they paint the axle ,

29. fredvv44

fredvv44

Earlier here it was said that Crosley had electrolysis problems that caused failures. I wonder if, with modern chemicals, that problem can be overcome. I love the idea.

That Crosley Miller is GREAT.

30. Thanks for posting the article on Lloyd and the pics of the Crosley Miller. Like UKAde said, it's a work of art.. :cool::cool::cool: