Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical questions on building high clearance wide 5 wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b.r., May 2, 2014.

1. b.r.

b.r.

I dropped a frankland hub, stock ford wheel, and 18" implement hoop off today at a place w/ a cnc cutter.
    going to have them make some some centers to look like the factory wheels out of flat plate.
    what do you think 1/4" material?
    also trying to give them a wheel pattern.
    ive found they call it 5 by 10.25".
    measuring a normal 5 lug you would go from the center of one to the outside of an opposing lug hole, same here?
    would be really handy to know, for the draftsman the actual diameter if you drew a circle through the center of the lug holes.
    lastly I think it will be in the 50-60$ neighborhood a piece if anyone seemed interested I would get some more cut.
    to get just a pair the price to get them drawn up is about 60$ so would offset the cost.
    thanks for any input.

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ignore this post; I missed the part about 18" hoops.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  3. bct

bct

please post a pic when they are done.they sound great. I'd think 1/4 " thick plate would enough. but I am not an engineer.

4. bct

bct

if you measure the center of lug to center of hub on the drum and double it you would have the true bolt circle . tough part is the different elevations of the holes.

5. Technically a bolt pattern is the diameter of the circle that goes through the centers of all the lugs. I would be worried about measuring that big of a diameter the way you described. A cnc programmer would have zero issues making the bolt pattern if it is a true 5 on 10.25"

Edit, I just ran the math in autocad just to double check, and you cant measure from the center of one lug to the outside of an "opposite" lug. That would give you about a 9 3/4 measurement, on a 10.25" diameter bolt circle.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Most of my old circle track W5's have a .25" center. Plenty sufficient. Just make sure that your holes are chamfered to match your lug nuts.

7. b.r.

b.r.

thanks for the feedback fellas. I was thinking 3/16" actually but the guys at the shop thought quarter wich is probably better.
    prewar what you were saying about the circle I see is true at least w/ smaller patterns
    measuring from center to opposing edge is the same as a circle through the center of all of them.
    I have a friend that has cad software might be able to help.
    it seams like drawing an undimensioned circle then 5, 5/8 holes around the perimeter then dimensioning the opposing holes like we talked about the program would give the original circles diameter?
    not sure if the way I worded that is going to make sense...
    haha, it seems like this would be sort of easy info to find.

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Bolt circle diameter is 10.25". The deal with measuring center to edge of the lugs is only an approximation, mostly used to differentiate between the different patterns. Just think, 5x5 wheel,if you have 1/2" studs and get a measurement of 5" then measure the same thing only with 5/8" studs. You now get 5-1/16". So that method is only an approximation. The actual Bolt Circle of the studs for wide 5 is 10.25" diameter or a 5.125 radius.

9. b.r.

b.r.

awesome! makes sense, that is what we needed thank you.
    hopefully have some centers next week.

10. Doubt he will have any issues, but if he does, I can cad the bolt pattern for you.

11. b.r.

b.r.

appreciate it.

12. Here you go, if it loads up on here. If you have autocad, you can open it, if not, save it and give it to him, but like any programmer, he should check it first. Its based on a 10.25 bolt pattern diameter. Maybe some other Hambers can use it.

Attached Files:

13. Yea, I was bored :D

14. b.r.

b.r.

I wasn't able to open the file but thanks.
    picked these up this morning. im pretty happy.
    liking the way they turned out the issue is w/ the hoops being out of round by a bit.
    they are just implement hoops from me miller tire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bct

bct

they look great!

16. alchemy

alchemy

What's the ID of the hoop?

17. b.r.

b.r.

The o.d. of the center is about fifteen and five eighths