Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 1936 ford car resource thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, Apr 21, 2013.

1. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

The roadster top rear inner curve mounting frame is a lot tougher to repop and I am not aware of anyone making those and they are very heavy gauge. Henry probably had frame rail type capable press for those.

Never seen an original advertised and I need one of those. :(

2. carbuilder

carbuilder

My eventual goal is any & all 35/36 sheet metal done correctly gage, shape & form. What little is out the is off on the lines, shape & gage thickness. Space is my big problem now but working on that. All panels will be hand formed I don't have the funding or room for big presses & multiply dies. Yes my stuff will cost more then the current pressed stuff but it will be correct. I will be starting on master steel bucks once building expansion is far enough along to be usable work space.

There is a guy doing 33/34 hand formed parts doing the same thing build them wright & they will come.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

GREAT NEWS!!! bob drake announced he's taking reservations for right hand rear 36 coupe fenders! available january, left hand fenders to follow after that. price point is on the money at 600 each or 975.00 a pair, to charge at the time of shipment. fingers crossed, i've been waiting some time for this.

4. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I think that price point is a "December special" and may just be to gauge interest.
    I'm a bit skeptical - there has been a huge market demand for these for years but it still may not be cost effective to manufacture a quality repro.

5. carbuilder

carbuilder

35/36 Roadster Dash I am looking at gearing up mid January 2014 for a short run 10 plus of smooth hand formed steel dashes, smooth means smooth no gage holes & no glove box. It will have the correct bulge out in the upper corners along with the correct upper & lower lines. They will be hand formed 19 gage steel just like Henry used. you will have to cut your own holes for gages, switches ect. Pricing guessing in the $750 to $850 range plus shipping. I will ship world wide just remember shipping over seas gets pricey. If interested let me know I will need at least 10 positive to make this work for this price range. Smaller total # can be built but at more $$$ per unit.

6. carbuilder

carbuilder

35 36 roadster dash I will also have a smooth version avaliable with the glove box door about an additional $450.00 left or right hand drive again pm me if interested.

7. thebrisbanebennetts

thebrisbanebennetts
    from Australia

what are you asking for the section?

8. carbuilder

carbuilder

thebrisbanebennetts if you are asking me about the roadster dash I dont understand what you are asking about ball park pricing is listed above.

9. carbuilder

carbuilder

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Anyone remember who was re popping these top irons for the '35 '36 Ford Roadster back in the '70's, '80's?

Attached Files:

11. Girtz did the SS ones back then. 'Superior Car Parts' bought our Girtz and still sells them. Don't know if they did mild steel.

Steve

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

has anyone laid eyes or hands on the new drake rears????

13. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Last fall the sales guy said April availability - just didn't say what year.

14. carbuilder

carbuilder

They are still working on stamping issues. Henry originaly went thru 5 stampings plus rolling the edge to make a fender not an easy one to make.

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

somebody told me he had some for sale at turlock.

16. uncle buck

uncle buck

he had his right side sample on display and it looked really good

17. dericwi

dericwi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just found this thread and great info on it!! Now to add mine.

Anyone received their rear fender from Drake yet? I've got them holding a pair for me and wanting credit card info to ship the passenger side to me next week. Bought the "special" price deal last month but if I send them back because they don't fit very well then I am out the freight both ways, which I'm being told is about $100 each way to my OH location. Looking to see if anyone has gotten them to avoid losing $200 if they don't work.
    Thanks,
    Eric

18. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

i decided to Roll the dice.
    Gotta be better than the welded up or rusty crap that is typically for sale.
    They do have a 36 coupe that fitment should have been checked against.
    Wish they had fronts as well.

19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Drake had a rear at the Portland Swap Meet, I have 2 ordered and was told by the guy that provided the donor rear Coupe section for fitment that the fenders look real nice. Fingers crossed!

20. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I just found this thread. Don't know how I missed it before, but I just wanted to say thank you for it. I hope that it keeps going.

21. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

Just received my passenger side 1936 coupe fender from Bod Drake. It looks good have not checked fit because still working on the body.

Attached Files:

22. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

looks great!!! how much was shipping?

23. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

Shipping is $100.00 to SO-CAL.

24. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

it appears that kelvin waddington from waddington street rods is advertising a full floorpan for 35-36 fords on ebay. he makes subrails as well, hopefully he can get some stateside soon. if anybody around the orange,CA area knows him- tell him we need parts man!!!

25. dericwi

dericwi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Received my passenger fender from Drake the other day. Finally got a chance to take it to where the car is at. Fit is pretty good, both at the bottom "tail" area and the front for the running boards it seems. I will need to adjust attaching holes in fender slightly, (they told me this a head of time so not surprised). Shipping however was $175 to Ohio after being told it was going to be around $100. Complained about the large difference and received some of it back but be warned; it's not an inexpensive part to ship.

26. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It seems when you compare the Drake right rear to a real nice original the opening towards the rear is about 1 3/8" bigger/longer than stock. Waiting to see if the left will be the same as it may effect rear end center line.

27. carbuilder

carbuilder

Lon are you saying the wheel opening is 1 3/8 longer to the rear or the whole opening is 1 3/8 longer I have a super nice original to measure off of. can you post a picture with measurements. I cant build a set for what he is selling them for & need a pair for a customer roadster project.

28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Longer in the rear opening is how I understand it. Danny, PM sent!
    Drake is aware of the difference and will gladly explain it better than I, I suggest anyone interested in these fenders to give him a call. They look really nice and the diff. may not matter to the majority who need them......................

29. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Who makes the most accurate 36 door bottom patch panel? I have some doors that were done back in the 90's and the bottom bead profile sucks. The cowl and quarter beads are much thicker.

30. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Dennis Carpenter is the one that has them made .Other venders carry his products.The problem with the 1/4 and door patch panels is that they are stamped flat so you have to shape them yourself.