Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 IHC KB-1 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '48IHC, Aug 5, 2013.

1. '48IHC

'48IHC

Yeah it's an easy layout and easier to follow than a marker line in my opinion. Also with all the body lines in the bed it's hard to lay a straight edge across them and mark it. Tape lines eliminate that. I work In a resto shop and use tape for a lot of marking. Door hinge alignments, hoods and trunk lids, body line shaping, patch panel cutting and so on.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. '48IHC

'48IHC

Finally had a free day to make some progress on the ole binder. Cut out the firewall section on the drivers side to mount my new speedway booster,master cylinder and pedal assembly. I also purchased a new steering column that needed mounted as well. I will post pics as soon as I can. I also sorted out my power steering pressure hose problem I had from the box being inverted flare and the pump being the o-ring type. It turns out you can simply unscrew the 1" fitting on the back of the new style pump and install the 1" fitting from an old style pump and you can re-use the old line.

3. '48IHC

'48IHC

Finally got posting pictures down. Here are some progress photos.. I apologize in advance, please ignore the engine in the pictures.. I know it's not exactly HAMB friendly but it's what I had around.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398993988.450960.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398994011.786873.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398994030.140009.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398994045.145233.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398994059.135567.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398994074.838281.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398994086.898005.jpg

4. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Very Nice !
    Wish I could get my IH KB back. I was told it's in California. The guy owns a speed shop close to a drag strip.

Keep up the good work these old binders need to be on the road.

Toxic Waste

5. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

6. rickl

rickl

Always great to see your updates. I hope to get my K1 on the road this year.

7. '48IHC

'48IHC

Thanks everyone. I am really trying to get her on the road by July. I want to be able to hit a couple shows then blow it apart this winter for paint. I have the major stuff mocked up just need to finish everything off. This is where the late nights and weekends come in..

8. silversink

silversink

converting my 48 to a V8 was one of the easiest I've done in 30 years. They were made for a conversion---lots of room.
    Yours is coming along real good

9. CRAWLER07

CRAWLER07

I didn't see it any where in the past post's what size are the rims and tires?
    Your truck has a fantastic look to it and your doing great work..

10. '48IHC

'48IHC

Thanks I appreciate it. This is my first build so I'm trying to make everything as sanitary as possible. I found myself re-doing a lot of the stuff I did 3 yrs ago when I really had no idea what I was doing. It's still nothing crazy but I feel it's simply and functional and that's what I want.

Silversink- these old binders really do crave 8 cylinders. Using the s10 frame I was able to use all the LS swap stuff (headers, motor mounts etc..)

Crawler- I have just stock 14" steelies from a '57 bel air right now with silver towns. I have a set of 15's painted off white ready for tires just saving up for those. 15x5 up front and 15x7 out back. Going to run 215/75's up front with 225/75's out back

11. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Looking good. I have the belly button 350/350 combo in my '41. I like the look of the old steering wheel/columns so I adapted mine to the MII steering since I adapted an MII X member to the original frame. The standard block huggers work well for the stock IH frame. Keep the updates coming.

12. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Which motor did you go with? I parted out an 04' Yukon for the 5.3L/4L60e combo I'm putting in my 46' K3. I have a 97' C5 Vette with an LS1. Love these LS engines.

13. '48IHC

'48IHC

I bought an 04 LM7 5.3 non flex fuel and went with a th400.. Nice score on the combo. Can't go wrong.

14. '48IHC

'48IHC

A little more progress tonight. Got the front clip back on and cleaned up the engine bay. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400907621.880203.jpg

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Awesome truck! I like where you going!

I really like binder trucks.

Are you gonna paint it? It would look so nice. Even a two-tone paint job. :)

16. '48IHC

'48IHC

Thanks Volvo. I would like to paint it eventually but I'm just trying to get it road worthy then I can start saving for paint. Material costs are out the roof.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know the feeling!
    The first time I read your thread, the look with those other rims, my thought was Pro Street, WTF/FTLG???? I was seriously affraid you would chop it too :-O
    But the other wheels and the fact that you will paint it, when then funds is avalible, makes it a Real HotRod Truck!!
    Just the way it has too look.
    If i recall right, some signature on hear States; all hot rods was at one time black, and non af them was ever finished.
    Good point, and hot rodding is more about; get it driving first, and then finish it. And they are in a way never finished, because there are so many things left to try out.

By the way; my name is Rasmus Brynk.
    I cut my teath on the only Skandinavien hot rod material avalible, Volvo's. Hence the volvobrynk.
    But people often refers to me as Volvo in here. :)
    But it's alright, I've been called wearse. LOL

18. '48IHC

'48IHC

Well it's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Creighton. I started the project back in 09 and didn't have ANY idea what I was doing so in that time I have just trashed mostly everything I had done and started new. This is where it sits now. A few brackets and some wiring from being roadworthy. I have a new set of freshly painted black steelies to go on.

I think these binders look chopped already and I am also 6'2 so I needed as much head room as possible.

It will be a nice daily cruiser for me when it's all said and done. I want to keep miles off my O/T pickup.

I think we all have been called much worse than Volvo at some point haha!

19. '48IHC

'48IHC

Put my old doors on to make it look like a more even patina until i can afford to paint it. Mounted new tires on my freshly painted steelies and found some smooth chrome center caps to go on too. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402183701.586221.jpg

20. jazz1

jazz1

your truck is coming along nicely. Hey,..what happened to the whitewalls,,they looked good? I see you have a variety of passenger side doors to choose from. I also have spare doors as well as a spare cab I chopped 3",,its also my garbage can bin

[​IMG]

21. '48IHC

'48IHC

That's a hell of a trash bin! Have any other plans with it?

The whites were bias 7.50 14's and looked kinda funky on the back. I wanted some nice radials just because I will be putting tons of miles on. They fill up the fenders much better.

22. jazz1

jazz1

From here the whites looked good,,,but no you don't want bias on your truck IMO. I would like to put doors on the garbage bin some day,,,not that doors will keep the bears out,,gotta install glass, locks, door handles,pick proof locks....
    [​IMG]

23. '48IHC

'48IHC

Haha sounds like a plan.. Got a little work to do. The whites look good from the side but they were too skinny in the rear for my liking..

24. Terraizer

Terraizer

Creighton, truck is looking really good, the new wheels and tires look great. It was good meeting you, your brother and girlfriend at the Goodguys show today.

25. '48IHC

'48IHC

Thanks Chris, it's getting there slowly but surely. It was nice meeting you as well. I will have to make a trip up to your place sometime and come check out your projects.

26. Terraizer

Terraizer

Injection pump 007.JPG Injection pump 007.JPG Any time, come on down, i need to get back on my 41 K-2 but am having to much fun working on the 1955 S100.

27. '48IHC

'48IHC

Will do. That 55 is awesome! It looks like it's in pretty good shape. Is that the customer's you were gonna French the ford headlight rings into?

28. rickl

rickl

These are 255 60 15" on the rear. I'll probably go with something a bit taller and a deeper (less offset) rim. truck.jpg

29. Terraizer

Terraizer

This one is mine, i have had it about 8 years and finally been doing something with it, so far installed a Jag XJ6 Injection pump 001.JPG front clip under it, Ford 9" under the rear on top of the stock springs and installed a SBC,S-10 T-5 in it, next is to install a Jag IRS under it, then blow it apart for paint, truck was a Goverment truck out of California so its pretty solid body wise.

30. 48IHC,...nice work on your truck, just an idea, get a couple more runnin boards and extend yours back to the rear fenders, it'll look so cool and lower.