Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Ford "Canned Monster" Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wish I could see the logo. I've never seen that car.

2. Lancer

Lancer

So, our pal Bill Carlson, owner of WAC Customs (BCCHOPIT) and official sponsor of our Canned Monster just informed me that he is upgrading our axle, the one he just finished! Bigger and stronger now, just in case those front wheels come up. More pics to come.

Bill can explain more of the technical details of how and why this is done.

3. belair

belair

Looking good. But it's Y block, right? Don't worry about the front wheels. :)

4. AA/FA 0045

AA/FA 0045

Looks great. Why not use M/T or M and H tires?

5. Lancer

Lancer

AA/FA 0045, everything is an option, but I was wanting the older pie crust look to the tires. If they wanted to sponsor the tires, I def would be all for it.

belair, thanks for the support and the snarky comments =)

6. AA/FA 0045

AA/FA 0045

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

GREAT design and execution on the front axle: that is the right way. (never see it done like that any more, super fab by Bill!)

I have a '54 Coupe, gasser style (after a slew of previous '54 Coupes, and '56's) so this thread is real to me. (especially since you're right next door, and it will run at Eagle field, out beyond my back yard... Woo-Hoo!)

When you locate the top loader, be aware that the Jeep B/W top loader 4 speed uses a cane type shift tower that bolts right on, eliminating the need for linkage. ("Real floor shift")
    I'm using a heavy duty close ratio 3 speed top loader with the cane shift tower, 406 F-E.
    (A 'bolt-in'!)

Impressive that you're altering the wheelbase slightly. I did that on a '56, moved rear forward 8". (it was hairy, but excessive; 4" to 6" is 'desirable')

8. Lancer

Lancer

Thanks Mike, we have not committed to a certain length to move the rear. Would like to hear more about why 4-6 inches is more desirable than 8". Is this due to the work involved or how the car handles?? Great to hear from another local guy who's been there done that, would like to talk more. Are you going to Eagle in three weeks??

Yes, Bill is doing an amazing job on the axle.

9. Lancer

Lancer

A local guy has a couple of T10 four speeds that will fit the Y bell housing. Not a top loader, a side loader. Its an early H-1 casting. I'm not super familiar with these. Its a decent price but I dont want to jump if its not a great choice for the application. Those who know more about these, talk to me. Some pics are attached.

He also has another thats a B-1 casting which I think is earlier, the stamp on it is 2-7-61.

Which of these two would be a better choice.

Attached Files:

10. Lancer

Lancer

Here are photos of the other one I mentioned above.

Attached Files:

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I picked up a basket case T10 to run in my 63 Ford 406. Replaced what was needed and never had any problems with it. Broke other things but the trans always stayed together.

12. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

I'd be concerned about buying a tranny from a guy that wears that shade of nail polish !!!!

13. Lancer

Lancer

Thats funny hellerlj.

Good to hear 57Custom300

14. Lancer

Lancer

Just a quick plug for our new magazine. Get your copy. We have a small article about the Canned Monster.

Attached Files:

15. ohv4d

ohv4d

Progress looks good. It looks like you could be ready in time to make the Y-Block shootout coming up in June. Should be some good running cars down there.

16. belair

belair

Keep at it. Things take longer than you think, don't they?

17. ohv4d

ohv4d

I would look for what I believe is 66 or late internals. 2nd and 3rd gear on the main shaft back up to a shoulder. The early type had a radial bearing between 2nd and 3rd, These would get wear in the gear stack and jump out of gear on decel. The larger bolt pattern on the front was added in 1965.

18. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

You might want to change the title to Altered build...wheelbase changes and your front wheel choice don't jive with a Gas coupe or sedan build.

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

19. Lancer

Lancer

Initial cut in on the gasser to make room for the tires. Moving the rear ahead slightly. Thanks to Matt L. for the help.

Attached Files:

20. Lancer

Lancer

I suppose technically its not a gasser anymore, more of an FX I guess. I'm no expert on these classes. Maybe someone could tell me what it would be classified as if in ran back in the day.

21. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

You would have ran in an Altered class. A,B,C, depending on weight to cubic inch...the FX classes were like S/S in the early 60's, but got blurry by the mid 60's when the AWB cars started running. Take a look at this website.. www.georgeklass.net it will explain it for ya, and show that full bodied cars also ran altered even if at a glance they look like a Gasser.

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its all looking really good bud, I too have got the Y block bug, currently doing a 292, As for the Radir drag slicks I have the 900 x 15's on my Willys coupe and they are too hard for racing in my opinion, I'm gonna cut a tread in mine as use them for the road only.

[​IMG]

23. Lancer

Lancer

Langy, that is beautiful man. We'll also be running a tube bumper in the rear. Looks like the same wheels we'll be running on your ride as well. Those are some interesting wheelie bars. Look like lawn mower wheels on there. I have heard the same about the Hurst tires, heavy and hard, but they do look great.

II Funny, ya, technically I guess it would be an Altered, but everyone would call it a gasser if they saw it. I'm not worried about it. The photo is from the site you referred me to, was listed under the Altered section.

Attached Files:

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Lancer, the tube is a weight bar, the wheelie bars I made like they did in the 60's, rear wheels are ET's although i'm still looking for a pair of ARE mags to suit the front.
    I bought a pair of Hurst for racing but while they are way softer than the Radirs they are still a little on the hard side.

25. Lancer

Lancer

langy,
    Yes, exactly, we are planning on running the tube bar as ballast as well. That combined with moving the rear forward should help us pull the front wheels. So you're saying the Hurst are softer than the Radirs? I had heard the opposite.

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah the Hurst are definitely softer than the Radirs, The Radirs hold the car up even with no air in them !!!

27. Lancer

Lancer

Look what showed up today. American Rebel Wheels MFG. sponsored us these rad wheels. Cannot wait to see these mounted up and on the car. Need to get some Hurst Pie Crust for the back. What should I run on the front for tires?

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Those look great.:)
    A Firestone 5.60 blackwall from Coker would look good up front,or if you want to run a radial up front that looks A little more vintage than some of the stuff out there today,try the Firestone F560 radial in a 165-15" size.I'm running a pair of them and they look good.I'm moving up from 135's to 165's,but you get the idea: ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398921065.662966.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Lancer

Lancer

powrshftr, thanks for the info on the front tires.

Here is a quick shot of the rear quarters as of now. Those mock up tires/wheels are only 27" tall. The real ones will be 30" tall.

Attached Files:

30. Hey Lance, Enjoying your build.
    Subscribed