Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Period" car or what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ulu, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

<---'64 MG midget...*sob* :(

3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

This question keeps bouncing between my ears today. That's because there never was (nor will be) the money to go "all out" in the sense of a sky's-the-limit custom job; and if there was I would be looking for a different (more "desirable") collector car. Also, at the risk of sounding pedantic, I can see being preservationist with a really original car, or with a notable "period" piece, but I can't consider this amateur restovation to be worthy of that level of respect.

If this was a George Barris car, you bet I'd be preserving it. Since this was a mediocre (at best) restore from day one, it doesn't justify that.

I'll be doing this on a budget, so no Fire-Power Hemis with Hilborn injectors over a 6-71 GMC for me.

But If I'll ever own a radical ride of any description, this will certainly be it.

4. jon83

jon83

cool car..it would look good sanded some and clear coated. or painted how the original paint was when you got it. I would keep the outside period "Correct" as in how they did things 60 plus years ago( to maybe please the purest police )..then again Barris was "period correct" and he did some pretty wild stuff. Go ahead and put anything you need underneath to make it safe and driveable, theres a reason why you dont see drum brakes on the front or bias ply tires, and non safety glass windshields much anymore.

5. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I've wanted to cut this car up since 1986. The purists (of whatever persuasion) can look the other way. I want this car to be mine in the way no mass production object can ever be.

But Rod or Custom? Where will it go? I just don't know yet, but the "La Bomba" look isn't getting it for me. Perhaps that's one reason I've ignored this car for so long.

It's going to get the Carson-style top job, or perhaps just a light folding roadster top like my old MG.

I won't be choosing "correctness" over technology. When I get done, I have to like it. What anyone else thinks of my "radical customizing" is none of my business.

I don't like the stock grille. Something must be done. Sure it's pretty compared to many other products of that era, but it needs to be better to please me. I think the style is OK, but the execution from cheap louvered tin and dozens of cheap, thin, fussy, stamped stainless bits is a sin. Should I carve one from billet? With some small mods. I think a more "open" grille would be better, but it's gonna have style. None of this copy-an-Oldsmobile stuff for me.

The stock bumpers are too round. Gives the car a "bumper car" look. Gimme hot rod bumpers or nerf bars or somehthing else.

I don't like the shape of the skirts, or the shape of the rear wheel arches without them. I might do a folding fender job like Cadzilla, so the skirts hinge up or pop off at a trim line.

That visor is history. It's going to the virtual swap meet for sure.

I hate the stock steering and brakes. That stuff's gonna change. the stock dash will probably stay stock as possible though. The steering wheel/column may be 100% custom when I'm done.

Lots of stuff to think about regarding frame mods. I think these cars look best as taildraggers, but I don't want to putter around at 10 MPH all the time, so the suspension must rise appropriate to speed. I see people "c" their frames up a foot until they look totally ridiculous, like spaghetti, so they can get the rear low, but not one car do I see with an underslung rear frame. I see people trim the bottom of the frame to "lay rocker", but I don't see anyone channeling the body down over the frame on these cars.

In my most radical visions, I see this car with the roof off, windshield chopped, no hood, fenders gone, nerf bars, custom cowl/firewall, full tube frame, channeled about 6" with a straight axle, and a "track nose" job to house radiator & lights. Basically a fully stripped rod, where I can sell off all the stock fenders, nose, hood, trim, garnish etc, to finance the purchase of a really stonking big engine. :)

Hell, who needs fenders? I have other cars with fenders! ;D

This may not all gel in my head until I actually have the Sawzall in my hands....

6. if you want to cut it up buy a damn ford! the p15's are sharp with only mild tweaks.;)

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

So is a '47 Ford IMHO.

(It's funny how many Ford owners think these Mopar cars are butt-ugly.)

That sounds like a buncha extra work and $ to arrange & besides, everybody and his dog has a Ford. :rolleyes: If ya wanna be the same as everyone else, you would own a Ford too.

I bought this car partly because it was immune to smog checks, it would fit a big v-6 or small V-8 no problem, and because it was only $3500: half the cost of a similar (but vastly more popular) shoebox or postwar Ford at that time (and 1/4 the cost of any nice Pre-war Ford!)

If you wanna be really different, you have to start with something different. I figure the P-15 qualifies as different to me.

8. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I always thought they looked like shrunk down predecessors of the pre-war mopars. That grille is a dead ringer for a 40 Chrysler. If you're gonna go balls out period custom, Keep that 40s-50s integrity. 60s style custom with reformed front features? SMH...

9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That has never really been my intention. I don't just want to repeat what has been done.

So please ignore all that has gone before (stylistically and regarding performance) and ask instead, "what changes would I make based on the tech/knowledge available today?"

10. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

How about pie crusts in back, 10-spokes in front, dropped for a nice rake? Stick a good-running mopar V-8/auto combo in it and upgrade the brakes. Run it in dark green primer/suede. Save most of your budget for a nice interior. :D

11. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I don't recall getting over 10,000 or 15,000 miles off those old-style bias tires.

The new reproductions might go farther, but I don't have any evidence of that.

12. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Get it running and drive it, in any case don't let it sit another 24 years, you do not have that many years to spare.
    After its a driver you can play with it as you use it.

13. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'm working on it now. See my thread here, if you haven't yet:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=871575

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'm resurrecting this to tell the "clr it and drive" guys that I'm damn glad I didn't..When I started to remove the original wiring, the rubber & cloth insulation was so rotten it just crumbled in my fingers. The copper inside was covered with oxidation in many places.

Anyhow, I already knew I'd re-wire it completely. Flaming primary wire isn't my idea of fun in an old car.

Meanwhile, Edith is now pretty much stripped bare & begging me to Scotchbrite her some more.

DSCF7827.JPG