Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 dodge 3 window coupe, Ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Felix_the_cat, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Felix_the_cat

Felix_the_cat
    from Austria

Hey

I think about buying a 47 dodge business coupe in the next time.

It is solid, got a new interieur and everything should work...

I would like to fit a v8+transmission(not sure if 4 speed or automatic) into it and a stronger rear axle. To Convert the Brakes to Better drums or maybe discbrakes in the front would also be nice (at least an upgrade to dual-circuit brake)

Can you recommend me some (online)shops where I could find dropped spindles, the necessary parts to change it to 12 Volt, Brake upgrades and engine mounts to fit another engine?

It should be some kind of period-correct, because in Austria they are very strict if you want to register some kind of "hot-rod" or a kustom. (Thats why a 350/350 and a frame of a newer car would not be the best idea)

I thougt about a red ram, a smaller 50ties hemi or maybe just a 318, what would you use? (I don't need a big block) And which rear axle would you choose?

Best regards
    Felix

Best

41 GMC K-18 and NoWifeCrissis like this.
  2. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Felix,

There are vendors that sell motor mount kits to install early hemis and later small block mopars...318-340-360 as a bolt it. Should you not want to stay mopar on the transmission Wilcap in California makes adapters to adapt the engine to GM transmissions like a 2004r, 700R4 or a 4, 5, or six speed. The GM transmissions are more plentiful and cheaper in most cases than mopar. The good news is that BOLT ON everything exists for that car includin Disc Brakes..............I did a 47 Chrysler 3 window.....same car.

Gary

3. George

George

I answered an earlier version of this post, must have been deleted. There's a bunch of Threads on here on putting a 318 in the 46-8 Plyms and Dodges. Use search for that & how to update the front suspension. 65-7 C Body axles bolt in. Duster, 71-3 Mustang and other axles fit with a spring perch relocation. The dodge early hemi or hemi based Poly could be squeezed in, but depending on weather you can trim the inner fenders will play a role in any V8 swap.

NoWifeCrissis likes this.
  4. Felix_the_cat

Felix_the_cat
    from Austria

yes it was deleted, because I accidentaly posted it in the wrong forum.

Ok thanks for the first information.

maybe you can post some links for online shop, because I have to calculate how much this project would be.. (or in which price range..)

@ochamsrasor
    do you got some pictures of yours?

best regards
    felix

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

First, go to the p-15/d24 forum. They know all about these cars. They don't mind hot rodders and can help a lot. Check out the "Steep learning curve" thread for a guy in Spain with a similar car.

Any small block American V8 will fit, you will need to push it to the passenger side a couple of inches to clear the big steering box. I've seen these cars with small block Chevy, Ford and Mopar in them. A Ford motor will fit without firewall modifications, because the distributor is in the front; the others may need minor mods.

Rover, Mercedes etc V8 may be an option for you too. We don't see those much here, so can't tell you much but the principles are the same.

Try to get a donor vehicle like an American van with motor, transmission, wiring, etc.

These all came with column shift so 4 speed would mean cutting the floor. Automatic with overdrive is a very common swap.

Look at older Jaguar / Daimler for a donor too, but check bolt pattern. For the rear end the Ford Explorer 8.8 is popular here because it's the right width and same wheel bolt pattern as the front wheels.

Disc brake conversion up front is not hard. There are a couple of kits - check eBay.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

First of all, there is nothing wrong with the engine, brakes, etc. of the Dodge. It was one of the best engineered cars of its time and perfectly capable on the road today, within its limitations. It is not a sports car but for ordinary driving up to 100 Km Hr it is fine.

Second, if you want to install a V8, new brakes, etc etc buy a newer car. The Dodge was designed for a straight six. If you try to put in a V8 there are problems with the engine hitting the steering mechanism and other problems.

1951 up Chrysler and DeSoto cars are designed for V8 engines, so are 1953 up Dodge and 1955 up Plymouth. These are much easier to put a V8 in, as they were designed for a V8.

7. I thought this was a hot rod board, not a restore that old boat anchor board.

8. i would recommend a HEMI ! because this IS a hotrod board.

Attached Files:

• 088.JPG
      088.JPG
      File size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Rusty, the Dodge might have been designed for a 6 but a V8 fits just fine..........well it did in 1973 and the rest of the car hasn't rejected it yet........yep.....this is a Hotrod board..........Felix, my 1940 Oz Dodge has a 318 Poly......if I did it again I'd use a 340/360 as they are a little smaller physically than the Poly and parts etc are generally easier to get.....you will have to fiddle with the installation especially around the steering column but its doable.......regards, andyd

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. George

George

He spews that line from time to time. As far as the engine is concerned, you need an engine with a rear sump to fit in. Here 318/360s out of Vans or Pick ups is the easy ticket for those.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.

11. If you can not find an engine with the rear sump pan already installed, it is an easy swap. I had a 440 with a center sump originally and swaped out to a rear sump truck pan, you just need to change out the dipstick tube, oil pick up and pan. I fit the 440 into a 50 Dodge Coupe without to much trouble. 47's have similar front cross memebers but the factory steering box will give you some interference issues especially with the exhaust. Rack & Pinion steering is an easy swap for the early MoPar's if you use the late 80's GM Cavalier racks. Check with Scarebird LLC for a disc brake swap, they carry just about everything.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  12. montero

montero

Bwa, ha, ha. :D

Do what you want with it. I got a '56 270 Poly going in '50 Business Coupe. Not like you are going to be cutting up a priceless classic. These cars are cool-azz and deserve to be rodded.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  13. desertdroog

desertdroog

How did you handle your steering? Engine offset or did you use borgeson joints?

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have done my share of engine swaps but eventually smartened up. Today, if I wanted a car with V8, automatic trans, 12 volt electrics etc I would buy one.

Just like if I wanted a steak dinner I would not try to make one out of a pork chop.

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Jag IFS. Jag IRS. Jag HE V12 with TH400.

A parts car with everything you need will cost you less than a grand.

16. George

George

Put a 331 hemi in my '48 Plym, had to move the column over close to the door. LA 318 in my '47 dodge only needed the 1 1/2 offset.

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Am I the only one who noticed the OP is in Austria, where American cars and parts are few and far between, and the regulations on modifying cars are strict?

18. George

George

no, but I noticed you're playing in the Dead Threads...