Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Death to pcv threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Apr 29, 2014.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Exhaust evacuation systems work good on race cars, but on street driven cars where you're out on the freeway cruising for extended periods they can create enough suction to actually pull oil from the engine. Not sure I'd run that style system on a street only car myself.

2. belair

belair

Do these threads suck or blow? At least they are more helpful than "Should I run bias or radials?"

3. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

And stuff like this post this is why I no longer contribute. That and all the "never actually did it" experts turn out.

4. Canuck

Canuck

Not a SBC and not tested yet, but this is what I am doing:

Modified the valley pan at the rear where it was stamped for a draft tube on older versions of the engine. A hole and grommet feeds down to a baffle made out of a piece of exhaust tubing. The tube has half baffles that make the air zig-zag around them. It is also filled with copper mesh (pot scrubber). The base of the baffle is the baffle/PCV valve cut out of a old SBC valve cover for additional baffling.

[​IMG]

The PCV valve was picked from a engine of similar displacement.

PCV Valve -- Fram FV181 70 Caprice 454
    PCV Grommet -- Dorman 42052 86 Blazer 5.7

The valve covers will be drilled for a breather on each side. Breathers are foam filled and will have a baffle on the inside.

[​IMG]

Oil fill is through a filler tube on front of valley pan with a cap that seals.

Hoping it will work. :eek:

Canuck

5. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Looks great canuk- same idea I was just lazier and used what I had. I hope yours works but it looks pretty much the same as the stock baffle in my olds so it should.