Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Nash Rambler Whos Hot Rodding Them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dons t, May 1, 2007.

1. Dirty Bird Clothing Co

Dirty Bird Clothing Co

I have a 195.6 flathead the adapter should work for that right? Its the same block as the 195.6 ohv?

2. farna

farna

YES - the adapter will work. It's not quite "the same block", but it's close. The OHV was derived from the L-head, and the bottom end (crank & rods -- different pistons) is the same, and the trans bolt pattern is the same. The changes were in the valve area, things like the timing set and cover interchange as well. Cam would, but radically different cam required for the L-head and OHV designs.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This IKA Torino reminds me very much of my '64 American.

4. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

im starting my 59 american project

Attached Files:

5. farna

farna

I hope you start a build/project thread on your 59 American. Would like to know what your plans are and see some progress photos.

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Not so much "hot rodding" as "basic survival" - anyone have ideas as to why my '64 American's flathead has started stalling every time I let the throttle close? I'm going to replace the vacuum lines this week and clean out the fuel filter, but otherwise I'm at a loss. I'm nervous to remove the carburetor as I can't find a replacement gasket anywhere and don't really want to cut a new one.

7. farna

farna

Unfortunately it sounds like a carb problem. The 64 used a Carter RBS #3708S. You should be able to find a kit for it, but I doubt you can get the carb to head gasket by itself.

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well, I guess it's time to seek out our locally famous carburetor rebuilder.

I'm going to end up with so much invested in this winter beater that I'm not going to be able to afford to sell it!

9. Intresting. Have a 52 airflyte wagon that would love some more hp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Now this is a fun thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. davelamboriginals

davelamboriginals
    from fremont nh

WOW i would love to find one of those heads and exhaust header!!!!!!

12. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

does anyone know if a arm upper /lower bushings are the same on a 59 american

13. farna

farna

The inner rubber bushings are the same as far as I recall. Check the diameter of the bolts on top and the mounting bar on the bottom. If they are the same then the bushings are the same. That's the only possible difference. The uppers may have an additional sleeve inside them.

14. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Hi,
    63 Rambler American I picked up at an impound sale less fuel tank. Put a junkyard tank in it and it ran like a sewing machine.

[​IMG]

Six cylinder and three on the tree. Got it running and sold it.

Rick

15. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

16. DPeel

DPeel

I cant say I "hot rodded" my 52 wagon but with a buick v6, t5 5 speed, and narrowed Ranger rear end, it makes a great daily driver and looks stock. Biggest problem is the unibody rust issues.

17. toml24

toml24

Donut Derelicts car show Huntington Beach, CA.

Attached Files:

18. U got any pics of it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. srs1

srs1

Not a Hot rod, How about a Kustom?[​IMG]

20. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Dude this car is so badass. LOVE IT.

21. srs1

srs1

Thank you. 1950 Nash Ambassador.

22. mechanic58

mechanic58

Here's a '64 that I had a while back. Had a 350 in it with a 4-speed and an 8" Ford rearend. It was a neat little car - totally rust-free, too. I had big plans for it, but one day some guy drove past my house and saw it sitting under this carport and stopped to ask me about it. I ended up selling it to him for more than twice what I paid for it about 2 weeks earlier...lol. Love those kinda deals.

[​IMG]

23. Johnny Switchblade

Johnny Switchblade
    from Upstate NY

24. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

I have the same car (well, mine's a '50 Brougham). After seeing your chop, which I like, but have only drawn on a board, I think I want to go after a bigger change. I love your front end!

Did you have any alternative plans?

25. srs1

srs1

Besides paint? I think it needs the door corners rounded, but that's about it. I need a paint scheme. I've already bought the HOC Brandywine, but I need some ideas on how to break it up.

26. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Yes, round the door corners, even if they are under the drip rail. As for breaking the paint, which I'm not a huge fan of how it is usually done on Nashes, I'd look at the hood as a starting place and continue the line under the upper body trim to the top body curve, resulting in a long spear running the length of the car to the trunk edge. Do not curve in down, just end it straight. Maybe in a candy or pearl, close to the HOC Brandywine, maybe redder. It would lower the overall body weight and lengthen the car visually, and was a paint scheme used back in the day. I recall the scheme used by both Pegazo and Cunningham (their 1950 Cadillac bodied race car), but on your Nash I would avoid doing the roof. Just my opinion. Steal from the best.

I have this '50's Allied frame-less speedboat windshield frame, so I'm kinda tempted to whack the top off and leave it open.

27. Love this car. More pics would be nice?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Dezert_Racer

Dezert_Racer

my 75.00 score 38k original miles just lower it and drive her IMAG1181.jpg

Attached Files:

29. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus
    from England

Here's my '55 , full chassis , narrowed jag front with bags , narrowed 9" rear with 4 bar and bags , just starting the paint - flake and kandy, i'm looking for an NOS grille if any one knows of one , mine didn't survive chroming

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.