Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Daily driver '58 Chevy Fleetside mild custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ElBrujo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. So I finally found something that will work with keeping the diff center. Its a pinion mounted watts link.

Attached Files:

2. I made the links out of PVC pipe for the mock up and I also have to trim the plate but it's coming along.

Attached Files:

3. So I had to redo the top structure of the notch. I made a rookie mistake and set up the upper bag mount incorectly. However; it worked out better and I figured out a place to mount my shocks. It's pretty tight back there, but it all functions and keeps the outside of the rails free to route my exhaust through. There's a few things left to tidy up but it's just about done.

Attached Files:

• 65.jpg
      65.jpg
      File size:
      420.9 KB
      Views:
    • 66.jpg
      66.jpg
      File size:
      530.9 KB
      Views:
    • 68.jpg
      68.jpg
      File size:
      504.4 KB
      Views:
    • 69.jpg
      69.jpg
      File size:
      518.4 KB
      Views:
    • 64.jpg
      64.jpg
      File size:
      491.1 KB
      Views:
    • 63.jpg
      63.jpg
      File size:
      463.1 KB
      Views:
  4. 1959apache

1959apache

looks good, its going to be a pretty sweet truck!

5. Thanks! It's the first notched and bagged vehicle I build, so it's been a learning curve. But it has turned out really good.

6. I made and welded gussets on the top bag plates. I also upgraded to slam specialties RE-7 bags.

Attached Files:

• 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      526.2 KB
      Views:
    • 71.jpg
      71.jpg
      File size:
      525.3 KB
      Views:
    • 73.jpg
      73.jpg
      File size:
      510.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Except for a few little details like rounding off the edges on the watts link bell crank, tapping the links and trimming off the excess on the lower shock mounts, I can just about say the rear suspension is done! Took a lot longer than we expected but we're really pleased with the results:cool:

8. Pics

Attached Files:

• 76.jpg
      76.jpg
      File size:
      487.1 KB
      Views:
    • 78.jpg
      78.jpg
      File size:
      516.5 KB
      Views:
    • 80.jpg
      80.jpg
      File size:
      504.4 KB
      Views:
    • 81.jpg
      81.jpg
      File size:
      520 KB
      Views:
    • 82.jpg
      82.jpg
      File size:
      422.3 KB
      Views:
    • 83.jpg
      83.jpg
      File size:
      513.2 KB
      Views:
  9. kylemontoya

kylemontoya

Looking good man

Instagram @kylemontoya

10. Thanks, Kyle! I'm really digging your project too.

11. 4444Design

4444Design

12. Jason455

Jason455

What year impala bumper is this?

13. Hey, Jason It's a '58.

14. belair

belair

That 58 impala bumper.

15. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

16. Thanks, TwoLaneBlacktop!

17. Had my car club brothers come down and give us a hand in mounting the cab. Plenty of space for the motor and tranny. I won't have to modify anything on that end. I must say, it's a big motivator to see the cab and bed on there and watch the suspension go through it's range of motion.

Attached Files:

18. mad-cad

mad-cad

Looking good. I'm a sucker for the 58-59 fleetsides, one of these days I'll get around to bagging my 59 fleetside.
    Anyway git er dern!

19. Thanks, mad-cad!

20. I also started planning out some of the body mods. Namely the Impala roof scoop and rounding off the corners on the doors.

Attached Files:

21. Small update. I ended up tackling the top of the dash and also the support part of motor mounts. Next on my list is to dial in the power brake booster and weld that bracket in place.

Attached Files:

22. We worked on the trans cross member these past few days and had to notch the center to clear the speedo and the left side to clear the power brake booster. Everything fits great so I'm going to weld her up tomorrow. After that, I'm going to work on the front horns and set up the core support as well.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

23. kylemontoya

kylemontoya

Nice, very clean. I had to do the same to my 59

Instagram @kylemontoya

ElBrujo likes this.
  24. Thanks, Kyle. Your project is looking great.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. View attachment 2664192
    Got this seat at the boneyard off a '88 Chevy single cab truck for $50. It's as if it was made for my truck, the mounts fit between the ribs and its an inch wider than stock which I like.
    View attachment 2664201
    View attachment 2664204 View attachment 2664205
    View attachment 2664208

IMG_20140709_133150_468.jpg
    This might be the orange I go with. It's a HD color called Whiskey Amber. I'd still mess with it and make it my own but that looks like where I'm headed as far as the orange part. Now to tweak the candy gold part of it....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  26. Been slammed with work, and helping my folks remodel their house so I haven't had much time to work on my truck. But as I was working on a customer's Harley I painted this little panel. I figure I will do a lighter version of this and the darker version on this panel will be what I spray on my taped out lines. Don't know if that makes sense.

Attached Files:

27. So it's been a hell of a long time since I've put work on my pick up. I've been insanely busy and just living life but I'm glad to have some time to get back at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I welded up the seams, grinded them flat, did a little body work, straightened out some bent panels, and did some patch work. I have to replace the rear cross sill and install the floor and then it's off to the sandblaster.

28. In the down time I had I went ahead and had my Olds steering wheel restored. Can't wait to slap it on![​IMG]

[​IMG]