Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tornado damaged hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Apr 29, 2014.

1. I just read that the father and son built the car together, the son died protecting his wife and kids. The father is going to rebuild the car. Sad any way you look at it.

2. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

The destructive force of tornadoes are unbelievable. My nephew visited the Vilonia area yesterday afternoon and saw where a metal shop building was totally ripped out of the concrete pilings. Left a 4 foot deep hole where the post were sunk in, took concrete and all! The force cannot be imagined!

3. ryno

ryno

Do we know the pics was from, with so many storms that wreaked havoc last Sunday I'd like to know if this is somewhat local to me.

4. One of the facilities I oversee is in Kansas. Tornadoes are scary shit. I think about them when ever I am there. Makes me happy to live in Oregon. That's neat the father will rebuild the car.

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

Another, from the USAToday website ......

Attached Files:

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm down in Bowling Green, KY this week with my '37 Chevy and we had tornado sirens going off last night. I have to admit that this Yankee boy was getting a bit nervous with my car sitting out in the open.

I sure sympathize with the rod that got caught in one and hope he can get it back in operation OK. I love his spirit with the flag !!

7. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I live in that area & was in high school when that happened. I worked in a bank on the end of that plaza in Niles, once rebuilt. Always unnerving when a storm would come through.

Sad to see this happen.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'll take an earthquake any day. at least your stuff stays with the rubble so maybe you can find it after.

9. Was in a large twister as a child, very traumatic experience. My heart goes out to all those people.

10. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Here they are rescuing it out of the rubble.

Friends and volunteers help remove Dan Wassom's 1934 Ford on Tuesday from the debris left by Sunday's tornado in Vilonia, Ark. Image via Eric Gay/AP.

Attached Files:

11. richie rebel

richie rebel

i seen this on tv,world news tonight,damn shame....

12. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Daniel Wassom, 31, Vilonia, Arkansas
    Daniel Wassom was a husband and the father of two young daughters, Lorelei, 5, and Sydney, 7. He died Sunday night in his home in Vilonia, Arkansas when he was shielding his daughters from debris from the tornado. His wife Suzanne is currently in the hospital in Conway, Arkansas.
    According to Wassom's father, Wassom went by the nickname "Bud." He was in the Arkansas National Guard and previously served in Iraq. The two worked together on a classic car, a 1934 Ford.
    "Dan always put his family first," said Carol Arnett, Wassom's grandmother. "They're just good people. They love God and their children."

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

We have regular cyclones (Ossie equivalent of tornadoes) that decimate the countryside up north and over in the west from time to time, flattening houses / property and sometimes with fatal consequences. You can only prepare so much for the inevitable. It's not if it will strike, but when and where and you hope you have prepared adaquately!

14. My mother grew up in Moore Ok, and said that if you've been in a tornado (and I quote) 'only an idiot hangs around for the next one'. She left at 18 and never returned.

Still sad to see the destruction and loss of life.

15. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

I've gotta say those pics of the 34 being brought out of the rubble are quite inspirational. Makes me realise how lucky I am to live in Scotland where the worst we get is constant rain

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Is that a 34 Ford, or a Street Beast?

17. Condolences to Daniel Wassom's family and friends........

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Doesn't matter. Story remains the same.

19. seatex

seatex

Damn, what a shame. Just good to know they have survived.

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Very sad, prayers to all involved.

Ago

21. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Hot rod or not! Mr.Wassom was a true hero to the very end. God speed to the recovery efforts in that damaged area..................

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Looks like a stock '34 grille and hood, not Street Beast. The A-pillar angle is different than a Street Beast as well. But why did you feel a need to ask such a question?

I recently moved away from Faulkner county, where the tornado hit. I have friends who were affected by this tornado, as well as the one that passed through on same path three years ago. Good people, who work hard and rebuild, and never give up.

There are two Dan Wassoms. Dan the dad owns the coupe. His son Dan died trying to protect his family. Sad any way you want to look at it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Heartbreaking news for sure... Those picture do serve as an inspiration to others though. Hopefully by re-building it he will be able to remain close with his lost son.

Out of this news story and the pictures, the only thing that you can comment is that your last project came about from a tornado, and asking whether the car in the picture is a Street Beast? Really??

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Or how it's less tragic because the car may not be a gennie. Some of the people on here take this hot rod shit, just a little too far. Wake up and join the human race.

I'm going to give blood Saturday. I hope they don't mind my T Bucket being fiberglass.:rolleyes:

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

tornado's are terrifying, something that can put a piece of hay threw a telephone pole is nothing to think lightly of.

Those photos say a lot, and while protecting your family is a good way to go if you have to it still wells my eyes up knowing a good one is now gone.

26. DrJ

DrJ

Having been born in San Pedro, Los Angeles, I've always thought in a well built building I can deal with California earthquakes and have through many, but a few years ago when I heard the "Freight Train" that was a tornado that rolled through here way too close to my house and tore the roof off the supermarket across the street from the High school I went to, I admit I was scared. We don't get tornados in So. Cal!?! I thought,
    but we have had several lately.
    The weather is changing...

27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very sad--prayers go out to these folks. Never been in one but have seen the devastation first hand restoring power afterward. I can't imagine the fear when one comes thru. Was at a new substation and line install in Moore Ok-2 days later it was decimated. We have had a few small ones in NorCal but nothing like the ones back east. Again, prayers to all those folks.

28. I drove through Moore, Oklahoma right after the tornado last May..... I've never seen anything like that before in my life... pictures don't do the destruction justice.

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Severe weather is just a part of living where it happens. We were spared this round, but the next may be different. Considering the relatively small size of most tornados, damage is usually limited to small areas, your neighbor may lose everything while you lose nothing. Meteorology has progressed so much in the last few years that we now can have sometimes as much as 30 minutes advance warning of one on the ground. If it's coming your way though, there's nothing you can do to protect your property, you can only try to get to a safe place to protect your life. Even then, you never know. There was a University of Alabama swim team member killed Mon night when a basement wall fell on him. It was reported he held the wall up long enough that his girlfriend could get out before it fell. There are hero's and victims everywhere when storms like this roll through.

I have traveled through many storm ravished areas and seen things that amazed me, and things that saddened me. Prayers and best wishes to everybody affected by these terrible storms.