Register now to get rid of these ads!

uses hevy dropped uprights Fatman Fabrications?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rustem, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Friends, who uses Сhevy dropped uprights Fatman Fabrications? I installed it. When riding the Chevy, even small pits cause strong sound of the shot, the front suspension. What can it do?

Attached Files:

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you should talk to Fatman and find out what is going on. Did you remove or shorten your rubber bump stops. (did you cut your coil springs?)

3. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Did you install new dropped steering arms too? They are in the picture you posted, but are usually sold separately. They are required.

Get under the car with it on the ground (or stick a video camera under there) and have a buddy bounce the front up and down to see what's not working.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Yes, I have dropped steering arms too. I Need to remove the rubber bumpers?

5. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

You shouldn't unless you have also cut the coils.

The dropped uprights alone just move the wheel higher up without changing the positions of the upper and lower A-arms, so your travel before hitting the bump stop is the same as stock. Unless the coils have been cut.

Could your tire be hitting the fender lip? What size wheel and tire do you have? New kingpin bushings when you installed the uprights? Worn upper A-arm bushings? Get the car up on jack stands and grab the front wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Try to wobble it back and forth and look for free play or clunking sounds somewhere. Repeat with hands at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Free play or rattling noises indicate worn front end suspension or steering parts that may be part of the problem. Let us know what you find.

6. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

^^^^^^^ x2
    Assuming you didn't have the noise with the original uprights and dropped steering arms the problem could be kingpin shims and bearings between spindle and upright. Did you install the bearing on top? I have a set of Fatman uprights and steering arms on mine, they fit well and work great. Good Luck.

7. On weekends, I go to a friend and we raise car. We will look. I don't know how many coils in a spring must be in the original. I have no other springs. It Is Russia. :) You can see how many coils has an original spring Chevrolet 54. I bought a car with a set of Fatman, and I did not driving with the original suspension. Thank you for your help!

8. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Ok, I think I understand better now.

You bought this car with the Fatman uprights already installed, so you have never driven it with the factory front suspension. And, we don't know if the coil spring has been cut by the previous owner. I see. You may in fact be hitting the bump stop. How low is the front end right now? Got any pictures?

Here's one way to check: with the car on level ground and the rear wheels blocked on both sides, put a jack under one front lower A- arm and lift it up just enough to get the tire off the ground. This will keep your front suspension at ride-height. Remove that wheel and take a look at how much distance there is between the bump stop and the frame. If the previous owner has cut the coil springs too much, there may be very little room left before you bottom out on the bump stops.

Let us know what you find. Take pictures if you can.

If this is the case, it's not a big problem. The bump stop can be trimmed down a little as long as you don't start bottoming out the shock absorber before engaging the bump stop, but first things first: check for worn parts, measure the distance at the bump stop as it is now, and let us know what you find. We'll get this sorted out together.

9. Many thanks for the help! Now I took spacers from the rear axle. Rear axle was lowered to 4.5 cm. I think it was better with the front suspension. I assume that the back part of the car was lowered and when released into the pit front suspension worked reverse shock. But this is only an assumption. I do not have a lift in my garage, but on March 10, I will go to my friend and raise Chevrolet. We will be guided by your advice. Thanks again!

10. My friends in Finland have found me original springs from 1951 Chevrolet