Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Speedster guys - ever use aluminum disc wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ralphcramer, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ralphcramer

ralphcramer

Anybody have any experience with the 21 x 3 aluminum disc wheels that are listed in an egay store? I can't find out anything about them or find reviews anywhere.

Yeah, I know, they aren't traditional but I'm using an Iron Duke in my project so I expect to go faster than I would want to go on Chevy discs and demountable rims.

The aluminum discs are way expensive so I'd like to hear from somebody who's had first hand experience.

2. doctorZ

doctorZ

why don't you get a set of the old 21" chevy disc wheels? they're steel but i can't imagine that they are that much heavier than the aluminum ones because the aluminum ones would have to be thicker. they come available with relative frequency and they're a whole lot cheaper.

3. badshifter

badshifter

I have a steel set I would let go for cheap. I ended up using model A wheels. PM If interested. I have the front hubs as well.

4. Where are you in PA? I have a nice set of '28 Chevrolet Disk wheels to sell and will be visiting my folks in Lancaster in June- would be happy to being them up for you.

5. ralphcramer

ralphcramer

I have a good set of Chevy disc wheels but I can't imagine them running straight and true at any kind of speed. Or getting them anywhere near balanced. Or replacing a tire in bum-fuck-nowhere.

This project will use a 27 roadster body and look kinda similar to Mr Model T's but with an Iron Duke, 350TH (so the wife can drive), a 47 pu rear and F-100 brakes. We drive our junk a lot and we expect to use it for some real long road trips, so some speed would be helpful. My real goal is to drive it from PA to the top of Pikes Peak, just to say I did it.

I know the Chevy discs were raced back in the day but it seems to me that racing short distances on dirt and driving long distances on asphalt are quite different. I don't expect it to be a freeway cruiser but I'd like to be able to do 65 mph on good 55 mph roads (like everybody else does) all day long, so I'm thinking the aluminum wheels might solve a host of problems. But before spending the big bucks, I'm looking for reviews, good or bad.

6. ralphcramer

ralphcramer

Sorry Mac the Yankee, forgot to mention I'm near Mount Joy PA. PM me with the dates you'll be in the area and if we're home, you're welcome to drop in for a visit.

7. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

3 or 4 years back a gentleman had a hand-built black speedster at the HAMB DRAGS. He was running the solid aluminum wheels that are factory on some Harleys. Maybe someone reading this will have a photo. I believe the car was from Kansas.

8. Kume

Kume

I agree - the chev disc & split rim is a heavy and clumsy combo difficult to balance and I think speedster guys only use them as they kinda look the part. The original aftermarket T discs of the period were lighter and used beaded edge tyres.
    I would go for the aluminum discs if you like that look.
    Just my two bobs worth
    Kume

9. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

The aluminum disc wheels that are offered by Antique Motorsports in SoCal are extremely well made and look great if that is the look you are going for.

10. ralphcramer

ralphcramer

That's the look I want and the Antique Motorsports wheels are the ones I'm considering. Do you know anybody who runs them?

I would powder coat them because shiny polished wheels wouldn't look right on this project. Plus I'd have to polish them!

11. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Yes, I know more than a couple of people who have bought Bill's wheels. They are top notch in quality. I would call Bill and tell him you want to paint them, he will likely reduce the price of the wheels because a lot of his labor is in the polishing.

12. Ralph,

Thanks for the invite- my parents just moved to Kinzers (about a mile from the clock tower), so you're close!

Someone (possibly nexxussian) did a thread on using the centers of Chevy disk wheels and welded modern loops to them- obvious issue is a smaller diameter wheel, but they looked really nice... wonder how they turned out to be on the road?