Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Squirrel or yak hide would be more traditional....

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

On a couple of other cars I put stone guard in the fender wells and then painted over it. It gives a nice textured look, hides the imperfections, but still allows shiny paint. Not to period on the speedster though.

3. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

When you get done, you have got to leave that engine exposed, at least on the sides. It is so cool.

4. yonahrr

yonahrr

Fab and prime.

The weather finally co-operated. I mean it was hot today! Nice! But while I waited for the temperature to rise I fabricated some little rings to hold the fender aprons from flapping in the breeze. You like my custom chuck key? There will be an eye bolt to connect the ring to the flange. That way II can adjust the distance. After that I sanded and touched up. The fenders aren't ready for paint but they need some primer for the fine work. I only had time to do the topside. But still, it was a productive day.

Jerry

I want to know if there's a way to upload more than seven pics.

Attached Files:

paperdog likes this.
  5. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

WOW! Your skills are MAD! My dad was a machinist and fabricator, but did not have your visions (or if he did he was afraid to act on them). I think he would have been WAY inspired by your work and it would have spurred him on!

We had a Model T project that he never finished because he could not figure out how to get it perfect. Special body (fiberglass made from a one-off remaining custom body from the early 20's - a boat tail Model T speedster), dropped axels, etc, but he couldn't figure out how he should mount the body the best way. He was going to build up this hopped up T engine - we had a Fronty 16 Valve open oiling system head, block, upgraded Chevy crank etc. Dad wanted to drive this thing in overalls, a pilots cap, old 20's goggles, chewing on a stogie spraying everything with oil. *sigh* It was his dream. When he realized he didn't have the "skill" (HAH he had it - he wouldn't admit it) he sold it all off. If he'd seen THIS ---- he'd have been all over it by your inspiration!

6. yonahrr

yonahrr

Good Ol' Dad. My dad used to change the brake shoes on the the old Studebaker whether it needed new shoes or not. I helped. If not for that, I probably wouldn't be working on cars. Thanks Dad!

BLOCKING! IT'S FUN! IT'S EASY! IT'S SOMETHING THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN ENJOY!

It's good exercise too. Prime it up. Spray on a little left over rattle can paint. Then sand, sand, sand. Look at all those little valleys you never knew you had. Aren't they fun? Now spray on some more primer OR wipe on more bondo. Then sand, sand, sand. Ah, but the final product is so nice. So smooth, so flat, ooohh--I'm getting chills just thinking about it. Of course that won't be for another week. Until then it's sand, sand, sand! Yes, you heard me--SAND,SAND, SAND!

Jerry

Attached Files:

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Flatliness is close to godliness.

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If you still have fingerprints you haven't sanded enough. Keep at it Jerry, that light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train. :p

9. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

I sprayed beer out my nose.

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

Over the years people have asked me, "Jerry, what is the secret of your creativity?" I tell them straight out, "People, the secret of my creativity is a properly organized workbench."

I finally got the rear fender aprons ready to primer. Well, they're not really ready but if I waited until they were ready it would be next year. There's still a lot of nicks etc but I'll take care of them one at a time. I mean, how else can you do it? I used some pink paint left over from my daughter's pinewood derby car to dust on the primer. Tomorrow the blocking begins again.

Jerry

Attached Files:

11. I have not heard of any blood letting lately ....please update the lack of appropriate care to your self inflicted wounds with pictures

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Huh? What'r all those red specks on the fenders?

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Guide coat for sanding.

14. Squablow

Squablow

Blood from the people who's heads exploded when they saw this thing in person, I assume.

15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You missed the joke...

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You got it. ;)

17. I use small pieces of tape when I block sanding to show me where the imperfections are that I have to go back to and fix again. makes it easier then looking it over and over. but just so this comment isn't total of track, I hear plaid covers a lot?!

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

Sand in your crack.

When I had my shop about 15 years ago, there was this mechanic who worked for me. He was a real good diagnostician. He'd smoke his pipe and think over engine problems. Anyway, he hated the beach--said he couldn't stand getting sand in his crack. Today I had a similar problem. I had to sand my crack--the crack between the fender apron and the fender. Tough to get right down deep in there between the cheeks so to speak. I finally wrapped a piece of 400 around a knife blade and worked it back and forth. Hey, that might be a cure for hemorrhoids!

Jerry

Attached Files:

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Sometimes I'm a little slow.

20. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

If he mixes skunk and zebra, he could get a nice pattern.......

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hot time.

Got a call from my mother in law last evening. Her garage was on fire. That was interesting. There were no cars in it but the building was damaged heavily. Nice to have insurance. Otherwise, I began work on the rear fenders filling and priming. I couldn't do this for a living. We're getting close. I'm looking for another upholsterer since I haven't heard from Ken.

Jerry

Attached Files:

22. You can do the upholstery yourself..1-2-3 times ???? we will support your decision

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. yonahrr

yonahrr

Fascia and German roaches

Yes, I'm still here, but all I'm doing is sanding and filling fenders and I'm not doing much of that because I'm fixing carpenter bee eaten fascia on my house. No, that's not me in the picture. I'm also dealing with a tenant who says German roaches are coming out of her refrigerator. This week Bruce is getting the fenders ready or not!
    Jerry

Attached Files:

24. German roaches are no problem. Tell 'em: "Geh 'raus! Geh 'raus aus meinem Haus!!"

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Two words Jerry...Roach Motel. :D

26. marioD

marioD

WTF are german roaches?

Mario

27. gas pumper

gas pumper

Since we are traditional and history oriented here here's the story. In Europe the French have German roaches to bother them and the Germans have Freanch roaches. My exterminator guy told me this! I didn't read it on the internet :).. It's supposed to go back to before the first World War.

28. yonahrr

yonahrr

Did I say German roaches?

No, what I meant to say was unspecified ethnic roaches. And BTW, it's one on my pet peeves that we call the country Germany when the place is actually Deutschland. I mean, it's like someone's name is Fred, but we call him George. I never understood that.

I finally got in touch with Bruce and he said bring the fenders by. Great! I'm tired of sanding anyway. To celebrate I worked on the ice box lid. I had to grind off the welds but that didn't work so well so I machined them off with the milling machine. Then I got out the lowly, disgusting, hated belt sander for the final touch. I still need to polish but the the hard work is done. Tonight I ordered an aluminum piano hinge.

Jerry

Attached Files:

paperdog likes this.
  29. marioD

marioD

just to make clear i was not offended only curios!

Mario

30. yonahrr

yonahrr

While the HAMB was off line I finished the speedster, sold it on ebay, blew the money in Vegas, went into depression, became an alcoholic, checked in to Betty Ford, wrote a book about my experience, went on Oprah, they made a movie of my life, it was a flop, went into depression again, became a recluse, bought another firetruck and began another speedster. The fenders are at the body shop awaiting paint. Hold on.... It's Oprah.... She wants me on the show again. Gotta go.

Jerry