Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ate a coil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deucefanny, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Deucefanny

Deucefanny
    from Australia

Took my 37 pickup for its first big drive on the weekend and all went well. About 30minutes from home the engine died and wouldn't fire. It turned over but had no spark. So I called my mobile mechanic (binga) to give a hand.
    He came out went through the wiring and then we put on another coil. It fired straight away. Tonight I put the old coil back on and it fired straight away with no problem.
    Can someone out there help me because the witchcraft known as electricity has got me beat.
    Thanks DF.

P.s:
    Stock flatty
    Twin 94's
    3.5 PV's
    Twin exhaust
    Homemade headers
    I think that's covered all the mods.:D cheers!

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

12v conversion? If so, does it have a ballast resistor? I've had ballast resistors go bad on an intermittent basis, making the problem hard to track down.

3. Deucefanny

Deucefanny
    from Australia

Sorry I forgot to mention. The electrics are now 12 volt with a 12volt coil from an auto parts store
    Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  4. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Assuming that you are using ignition points, you need a resistor going to the hot side of the coil or, an internally resisted coil.

5. I'll throw out there if it worked fine after changing the coil, checking wiring etc. I would be looking for a bad connection somewhere...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

How'd it taste? :)

Coils windings can sometimes short when they get hot and work again once cool.

7. 69fury

69fury

also make sure you're mounting it with the contacts at 6:00 position and never in 12:00 position (coil body horizontal). Keep those contacts under oil.

8. Yep I chased a brand new Petronix coil with that problem for about a week. Nothing against petronix just an example that new does not mean good especially with electrical parts.

ran fine cold and craped itself hot.

9. oldolds

oldolds

Hmm. Stock SBC coils mount straight up. I have heard to never lay them over as oil leaks out, but have seen many laid over when stock.

The above being said. Sometimes coils go bad, even new ones.

10. Deucefanny

Deucefanny
    from Australia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the set up I have and the pickup it's in.
    The coil says "performance", so it must be good. Right?:D
    This may help out with some answers.,
    Cheers DF
    And thanks you all with the help.

11. Try moving it off the head, so its not heating up.

12. ev88f

ev88f

x2 you might be cooking the coil with that mount on the headstud

13. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

I had the same thing happen to me with a new Mallory coil. The car ran good till it got warm. After about 15 minuts running the worse it got till it would run no more. The new Mallory coil was made in China. Need I say anymore.

14. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Coil needs to be a minimum of 1.5 ohms across the terminals etc. More than likely its a low ohm and shuts down when hot....

15. I like your truck, don't see many '37s.

16. Deucefanny

Deucefanny
    from Australia

Yeah I thought that might be the problem, but it fan fine for about 90 miles and then I turned on my headlights and about 20 minutes of driving later is when it gave up. Could the lights be the problem? It's the first time I have had the lights on while driving for that long.
    I think I'll change the location and see if that changes.
    Thanks