Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HAMBing up an old kit car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustangsix, Apr 28, 2014.

1. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

So many with no vision.
    Maybe not for the H.A.M.B, but...

just sayin'.

2. BarryA

BarryA

I seem to recall a photoshop/sketch study of this idea a couple of years back - I think it was by Chris Piscatelli - looked good but it would have been a fair bit of work to get it looking right. I had some pics saved but they were on an old computer that crashed....

3. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

There were some MG style cars that came with
    the Pinto 2.3 engine. These had a better frame
    and looked better (to me anyway). I think that
    these would have more possibilities. Just thinking.
    Matt

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Will it be less fun, if you can't show it off here? If you like it, get it.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bingo, the perfect answer. Or use a supercharged flathead like in the early Allards. Gary

6. Ditch the suit. Put a roof on the car. Make sure it's low. Get rid of the dak dak engine. Couple of truck hand signal things on a rod. Maybe mould the door into a one piece? Dunno. Looks like a bucket of fun, anyway. If it was me, I'd just drive it. Doesn't matter whether its HAMB friendly or not unless you wanna show it here, I guess. I can live with it!

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  8. oldolds

oldolds

My 78 year old father talks often of v-8 60, MG-TD's that ran around Denver when he was there in the Air Force in the 50's. There were quite a few Drag and sports car racers as pointed out above. A lot of people forget that a fair bit of 50's hot rodding comes from road racing and gymkahana [sp]. So HAMB friendly not exactly but, it is the guy that lives across the street!

9. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

Some of those glass MG replicars used Pinto power. The front engined ones could be rodded. In the old days, MGs were hopped up with a Ford V860 transplant, instead of the supercharger route. Fit in there nice.

10. A Boner

A Boner

Never say never, but I think it would be easier to start with an Austin Healey kit car, or at least a M.G. kit with the Pinto engine......doing it with the V.W. engine kit car would be a lot of work.

11. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Close your eyes and tap your heels three times....Poof,your a Allard

12. This has been cussed and discussed, just do a search
    You could do this with one.

Attached Files:

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't see why these kit cars couldn't be as HAMB friendly as any other fiberglass '32 Ford, as long as you're not planning on using some VW rear engine setup. If it was done like the old V8 converted MG's were done, it should be as much a hotrod as many fiberglass Fords I've seen built here.

14. mustangsix

mustangsix

I think I like the '50's sports racer theme. This would be a good way to do this without spending a ton on a real TC-TD-TF.

Throw away the V-dub chassis and motor, put a real frame under it, find a cool motor.