Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need brake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreamweaver, Apr 28, 2014.

1. OK, I have zero brakes on the rear, popped the cover off the MC and she is bone dry. Drivers side backing plate looks wet, no stain on the floor.

The PO told me its a 9" Ford rear, no clue on the year.

The back of the housing has an indentation at about 9 oclock and a filler plug at about 3 oclock.

After much swearing and manipulation i got the drums off. Took these pics of the drivers side. Any of this look familiar to the 9" Ford crowd? Brake linings are 2" wide.

I plan on replacing the brake cylinders and all parts on both sides and bleeding it all.

Would be nice to have affirmation that this is a 9" Ford but of course the counter jockies are going to want a year, dont think 1930 Ford will work :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

3. The brake shoes look like early 70's Maverick 9" x 2" Should be shoe #362
    If possible depending where you live go to a Napa AP store and match up old ones.
    The number above should be correct one.

4. Looks like a ford. To tell if its a 9 inch the two bottom bolts that hold the third member or pumpkin in place have to be tightened or removed by a wrench. A socket wont fit. If a socket fits its a 8 inch.

5. metalman

metalman

Thats looks like a 8" alright. Doesn't matter, standard Ford drum brakes. A good counter guy should be able to match simply by the width of the shoes and diameter of the drums. Of course now days finding a good counter guy is harder the finding the parts. If they insist on a make and model tell them it's a 73 Maverick with a V8, bet they'll match.

6. Did you get it figured out and dialed in?