Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Gold Mine 64 Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WZ JUNK, Apr 28, 2014.

1. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Last week my brother bought a 1964 Chevrolet Impala Station Wagon from a elderly hot rodder that lives in the area near him. My brother had the opportunity to purchase the car a couple of years ago but he could not make up his mind, he thought the car had sold, and he forgot about it. At a recent cruise night he heard the owner still had the Station Wagon, and he was anxious to sell it, and some other cars . My brother looked the car over again, negotiated a price, bought the car and drove it home. The first couple of days he spent washing, cleaning and just generally looking over what he had bought. Saturday evening he decided to get serious and look in every nook and cranny. Under one of the seats he spotted something and pulled it out. It was an older bank bag that had been there for some time. Inside the bank bag was another bank bag and inside that bag was the surprise. The contents of the bag was a coin collection of silver dollars, a quantity of buffalo nickels and other coins, some expensive jewelry, and 4 gold coins. The gold mine. The story you always read about, but it never happens to you.

On Sunday my brother met with the man who had owned the car. Sam asked the man if he had left anything in the car? The man replied that he had checked the car and he had everything out of the car when Sam paid him and took the car home. But, he said, two years ago, after settling his parents estate, he lost something in his house that he had never recovered. He had looked through the whole house many times over, but had no luck finding the bank bag that held the contents of his parents lock box. He said it contains his mothers wedding ring, their coin collection, some of his mother's jewelry, and 4 gold coins that at that time were valued at over $3,000 each. My brother said something like, boy have I got a surprise for you, and gave the man back his bank bag. The contents of the bag far exceeded the price my brother paid for the car.

I will always remember how my brother handled this situation, and what he did for this man, and I hope our family will remember and tell this story many times. Character is seldom seen today, but my brother has it.

John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Great story. You don't find many people like that anymore.

3. Good for your brother. I wish the young generation growing up now would have such scruples.

4. 39topless

39topless
    from colorado

Your brother didn't do anything special. He just did what was right. Good for him.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Nowadays that IS something special.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I just hope if I ever find anything like that I have no idea who it belonged to.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a great story -- he certainly did the right thing!

Malcolm

8. I always thought Sam was one of the good guys.

9. Everything you do comes back to you, and it works both ways, good or bad.

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Your brother would have not been wrong to keep the horde and yet he tracked down and returned the horde to the original owner which goes to show how much integrity your brother has. We should all follow his example. He's a rare breed indeed.
    God bless him.

11. 327Eric

327Eric

It would have been so simple to keep it. That he returned it showed True Class.

12. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I assume you and your brother were raised by the same parents ? If so you probably were taught right from wrong just like he was.

Good on your parents! Good on ALL parents that teach good values.

13. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

When my brother was in college he worked the closing shift at the local mobil station. As part of his duties he had to make the night drop- one night as he walked up to the
    drop he saw a bank bag on the ground. The local vw dealer's accountant had made the
    deposit but dropped one bag without knowing it. It had over 10,000 in cash as well as
    checks. He brought it into the bank the next morning- never even got a free oil change.

I found one stuck in a night drop once from a show store but it would of only had checks
    most likely.

14. He's a class act, I would expect no less.

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Never pass up the chance to do the right thing.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I agree with Tyler. I would also expect no less. Good to know that there are still honest folks out there.

17. toml24

toml24

This is called a random act of kindness. Good show!

On Sunday my brother met with the man who had owned the car. Sam asked the man if he had left anything in the car? The man replied that he had checked the car and he had everything out of the car when Sam paid him and took the car home. But, he said, two years ago, after settling his parents estate, he lost something in his house that he had never recovered. He had looked through the whole house many times over, but had no luck finding the bank bag that held the contents of his parents lock box. He said it contains his mothers wedding ring, their coin collection, some of his mother's jewelry, and 4 gold coins that at that time were valued at over $3,000 each. My brother said something like, boy have I got a surprise for you, and gave the man back his bank bag. The contents of the bag far exceeded the price my brother paid for the car.

I will always remember how my brother handled this situation, and what he did for this man, and I hope our family will remember and tell this story many times. Character is seldom seen today, but my brother has it.

18. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

I agree. What go's around, come's around. In time it will come back to him.:cool:

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Think of the excitement he had when he found the bag.
    How many get just that alone.
    Some times the bigher thrill is giving it all back to the rightful owner.
    Thank your parents for doing a darn good job. Boy, can they be proud.
    It'll come back.

20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

a great story. your brother did a great thing.

21. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

That's class. And that's also a nice ride he got!

22. There is hope for our world after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tim

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for your brother! He did what was right and he will be rewarded.

24. FatChrist Magic

FatChrist Magic

Instant karma in that he will love that wagon. I have a '64 Chevy Biscayne and it is a great car.

25. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

you guys were raised right