Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hand Lettering Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Cheese, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Rusty Cheese

Rusty Cheese

I’m teaching my 4 year old to write the alphabet and getting really bored. So I thought I would try and learn to Hand Letter while Im helping him. I've only done it a few times and just learning so go easy on me!!!

I have a couple questions. What is the difference between a Kwill and the Liner and The Script Liner? I bought all three not nothing what is best with what. The letters I painted I used the#4Kafka Kwill.

The next question, what is the best way to end the stroke? Lift fast or go slow and slowly lift pressure off the brush. Should I pallet more paint to crisp in up the end stroke? Mine seen so inconsistent or is that what make hand lettering so kool. Last one, you know what paint Im using and it’s on a piece of glass, should I practice on sheet metal or Plexiglas?

THANKS! Any help would be appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Slimmey

Slimmey

Rusty, looks damn good to me. I think the way it is has the coolness factor that hand lettering had. I've seen some guy's work that was damn close to perfect, and it looked like vinyl die cut. Dad tried getting me into lettering and pin stripping back in the late '70s. I had a hell of a time keeping the lettering the same size, and never had the artistic flare for pin stripping. Sure looks good to me, I'd let you letter my stuff as is. Good luck, Slimmey.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Looks pretty good to me, too. Practice on whatever you can find. Plywood was always the hardest to me. Metal was easier.
    If you can find someone to watch for a few minutes you can pick up a lot of little things, now that you've tried it and know what to look for.
    Try a drop or two of linseed oil as you pallette the brush, and maybe a little thinner. These help cut down on the drag.
    Good Luck.:)

4. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

Looks awesome. Keep at it. Love the letter style.

5. 39topless

39topless
    from colorado

Dear Mr Cheese,
    Your lettering looks fine. The suggestion for linseed oil is good. You can also use Penetrol to increase flow. It seems like kwills take some "breaking in" before they start to work really well. You will learn the best way to end your stroke with practice. Remember, you can always clean up the end of the stroke with a dry brush.
    A fully loaded brush is difficult to control so I always removed the excess on the pallet before making the stroke.
    Like anything else that's worth doing, there are no short cuts. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.
    Keep it up! They a'n many han' strokers roun' any mo'.

6. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I assume you are using 1-Shot paint? Go to a paint store or Ace Hardware and get a can of Penetrol. This is a flow enhancer and is better then linseed oil. Linseed oil slows the drying way down. Keep using the kwill. Mark out some top and bottom guide lines. This will help you keep the letters the same size. Remember the curved letters like O G S should have the top and bottom of the letter be a little larger. If you have any more questions you can PM me.

7. Rusty Cheese

Rusty Cheese

Hey guys thanks for the words of encouragement, I'll try the line seed oil and the thinner and more practice!

8. The OPs question about ending letters I guess depends on your technique. generally if you slowly lift your brush while trailing off you will get what they call a stutter step in most striping circles. It will look like this -------. An abrupt end is what most stripers/letterers use unless they want that effect or at least most that I have been around.

Asa for getting to Carnegie Hall I first jump a jet to Laguardia then rent a car and:

<TABLE class=ddwpt-table><TBODY id=step_0_-1 si="-1" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:-1" jsaction="mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout;click:dirstep.select"><TR><TD class=ddptlnk>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=ddw-addr>LaGuardia Airport
    New York, NY 11371

(718) 533-3400

</TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE id=ddr_steps_0 class=ddr_steps><TBODY id=step_0_0 oi="step_1" si="0" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:0" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>1. Head northeast on LaGuardia Rd </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">43 ft

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_1 oi="step_2" si="1" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:1" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>2. Slight left to stay on LaGuardia Rd </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">249 ft

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_2 oi="step_3" si="2" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:2" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>3. Sharp left onto Central Terminal Dr </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">0.1 mi

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_3 oi="step_4" jsprops="ri:0;si:3" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>4. Slight left onto 94th St </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">249 ft

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_4 oi="step_5" si="4" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:4" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>5. Take the ramp onto Grand Central Pkwy </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">1.7 mi

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_5 oi="step_6" jsprops="ri:0;si:5" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>6. Continue onto I-278 E </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">0.3 mi

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_6 oi="step_7" si="6" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:6" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>7. Take exit 45 toward 31 St </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">0.2 mi

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_7 oi="step_8" jsprops="ri:0;si:7" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>8. Merge onto Hoyt Ave N </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">262 ft

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_8 oi="step_9" si="8" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:8" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>9. Turn left onto 31st St </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">1.6 mi

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_9 oi="step_10" si="9" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:9" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>10. Continue onto Northern Blvd </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_10 oi="step_11" jsprops="ri:0;si:10" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>11. Turn right onto the New York 25A ramp </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">417 ft

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_11 oi="step_12" si="11" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:11" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>12. Merge onto New York 25 W </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">1.3 mi

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_12 oi="step_13" jsprops="ri:0;si:12" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>13. Take the exit toward 2nd Ave </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">390 ft

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_13 oi="step_14" si="13" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:13" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>14. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for 2 Ave S </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_14 oi="step_15" si="14" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:14" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>15. Turn left onto 2nd Ave </TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">0.1 mi

</TD></TR></TBODY><TBODY id=step_0_15 class=dir-stephover oi="step_16" si="15" ri="0" __jsproperties_parsed="true" jsprops="ri:0;si:15" jsaction="click:dirstep.select;mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout"><TR class=dir-step-grad><TD class=dir-ds-icon>

</TD><TD class=dir-ds-desc>16. Turn right onto E 57th St Destination will be on the left

</TD><TD class=dir-cb-cbicon>[​IMG] </TD></TR><TR><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg"></TD><TD class="dir-step-separator dir-step-separatorbg">

</TD><TD class="sdist dir-step-separatorbg">0.9 mi

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE class=ddwpt-table><TBODY id=step_1_-1 jsprops="ri:1;si:-1" jsaction="mouseover:dirstep.mouseover;mouseout:dirstep.mouseout;click:dirstep.select"><TR><TD class=ddptlnk>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=ddw-addr>Carnegie Hall
    881 7th Ave
    New York, NY 10019

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Go to Youtube and look up Ed Roth, he did a couple of videos on lettering with Von Dutch. They are pretty cool and have a lot of info on lettering, making show cards, striping cars etc.

Here is one, there are others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gtb6991Hxc

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

your lettering looks great--you could do mine

11. Rusty Cheese

Rusty Cheese

Cool Thank you!!!

12. stimpy

stimpy

Looks real good like the hand lettering on my rigs , kind of like the end brush stroke as it proves its not vinyl letters or stripping which I could not stand .

13. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I am a sign painter turned sign fabricator with 34 years in the trade as my career (SignSource, Inc. www.signsource.com) so I know a little about this (only a little).

Get a book called "Sign Painting Techniques: Beginner to Professional" by Ralph Gregory. Another good one is "Mastering Layout: On the Art of Eye Appeal" by Mike Stephens.

It is good to see you trying to learn hand lettering but a word of caution: learn good techniques before you teach yourself bad ones. Some of the most basic information on shapes of letters and the axis (lean) of a freehand letter like the one you have shown will really get you headed in the right direction. Good luck.

14. Lil' Toot

Lil' Toot
    from Tulsa, OK

You've got a good handle on it. Like others have said, practice is key. Check out youtube, lots of great videos on there. I would suggest searching for Glen Weisgerber as a starting point. I also agree with the books mentioned. There are also workshops put on by various artists you might look into. One source for workshops, DVDs and books is Airbrush Action magazine.

Palette your brush for a nice even load, not to dry, but not to full either. Remember, how it feels on the palette will tell you how its going to feel on the surface. Too much drag and you'll get inconsistent, skipping, drybrush letters. Too wet or loose, you'll have no control, no surface tension, and your brush will slide everywhere, not to mention thin coverage. Its just like a car, when you first started driving you might have over steered, hit the gas too hard, hit the brake too hard, but eventualy you found the sweet spot.

Dont be afraid to try different brushes, different manufacturers, ect. Nothing wrong with Kafka's, but there are different hair types, different hair lengths, ect. from companies like Mack, Scharff, and Dick Blick. Not everybody likes the same thing, so try a few out.

Plex is fine to practice on. Its a good idea to practice on the kind of surface you plan on working on, so smooth surfaces like plex or painted metal are best.

Quills (the traditional spelling, Kafka may call his kwills for grins :D ) are best for regular letters (block, casual, serif, ect.) while liners (sometimes called script liners or outliners) are best for script lettering or outlining. The are usually longer haired and most come to a point, while the outliners often come with a blunt end.

One last tip, try working with a mahl stick to steady yourself with. Also check out letterville.com, a forum for sign painters. Look onto the events section for panel jams and brush bashes where several dozen painters get together just to paint stuff. Great place learn and fine tune your skills. Good luck!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Speed~On likes this.
  15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

John knows his stuff . Pay attention . In my sign painting class the first 6 weeks were learning basic strokes , no letters at all , just basic strokes . It is a very slow learning curve . Good luck . BTW I've been in the trade for 42 years .

16. indyjps

indyjps

Looks good, I'd suggest practicing on a vertical surface as you get the hang of it, most lettering on cars will be doors.

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I used to hand letter many signs and cars and I still have the same love I had for it years ago but the true is not many people ask for hand lettering that much these day's.

I remember when the first vinyl machines started to appear I said I would never own one but as customer after customer walked out the door I realized times were changing and even though I did not like it I knew the I would have to change with the times or go out of business.

I still have all my One Shot paint and brushes but don't really use them anymore.

Some times the hardest part about getting older is letting go of the way I have done things for years.

I still like looking at old hand lettered signs and the work of sign painters who used to apply their craft to the sides of barns and buildings.

Just my opinion. Jimbo