Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical spraying Hot Rod Flatz.... outside?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Apr 25, 2014.

1. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I used the HRF on my sedan. Very easy to use, and pretty forgiving. I had a big fuzz glob show up on the hood. I waited about and hour, used 600 and soapy water to remove it. Resprayed just that area, and it blended in prefect. I would use 600 as my final sanding prep. Go for it.
    Lee

2. 27 tallt

27 tallt

:p Have you thought about asking your local body shop as to whether they will rent you their paint booth for the job? Of course you would have to know them pretty well, for them to say okay. This way no bugs, no wind, no pollen, no dust, just your runs and you!

3. txturbo

txturbo

I do all my painting outside with my turbine HVLP. Early morning when there is little wind and don't do it in direct sunlight. The metal will get to hot. I have a coulee of 12x12 Ez-ups I usually paint under.

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

You can do it man. Everbody learned somewhere. Nothin' ventured, nothing gained. Just bone up on prep & technique and have at it. I've wiped panels completely and started over several times when I was learning.

I still think the HRF copper with a cream lid would be outa the park cool. Good luck & go for it.

5. jazz1

jazz1

the pearls are not forgiving of errors, even if you have to respray a door panel likely will not match the rest of vehicle. HRP is thin enough to squirt right out of the can even before you add the reducer and catalyst.

my truck two toned HRF with a coat of flat clear
    [​IMG]

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey,

I'd suggest you use a slow reducer, as wide a fan as your spray gun will produce, and really work on your triggering of the spray gun when spraying any of these flat finishes. Unlike a gloss finish, where if you've discovered an area of dry spray or mottled spray pattern, you can adjust your spray and reshoot that area, the flat finishes won't have any of this!:mad:.....what you spray is what you get!

7. evobuilder

evobuilder

I started looking at the TCP Global website and started looking at flake and thought.....

what if you did a flat color, with big flake in flat clear.... what would that look like?

Ohh.... the options and even had a buddy surface who offered to spray at my house. Soo, I need to make a decision on color, finish, and start prepping I guess.

Regardless, I still want to try this myself, so think I am going to order some paint and start doing some experimentation.

8. jer11ren

jer11ren

I just painted my first job in the garage and if you take your time it can be done. I would strongly consider a gloss color as it gives you a chance to color sand and fix errors. I was about to chicken out and go HRFlatz at the last minute, but am so glad I didn't as I was able to fix a lot of mistakes vs the you get what you shoot with flat. I used Southern Polyurethanes single stage and I could still polish and buff a little better, but have already received a best paint trophy so you can do it. I used a Astro LVLP gun and it shoots slow enough that you can see what happening and overspray was almost nonexistent.
    Good Luck

Jerry ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398653137.946101.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398653173.374311.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

I sprayed hot rod flatz as my first paint job outside..didn't come out that great.. its a temporary paint job..u gotta make sure your gun is dialed in..water separator is must..I would look into a turbine system. .

10. dubie

dubie

I painted my truck with Hot Rod Flatz diamond blue metallic and my TP Tools HVLP turbine and it laid out beautifully. And I only use 1/2 gallon of paint for 2 full wet coats

Attached Files:

11. toxonix

toxonix

I found that with even what I thought was a big compressor, mine couldn't keep up with the HVLP gun.
    I can maybe do one panel at a time, maybe a hood, but no way can I shoot a complete car. Air volume is very important, and if your compressor can't keep up with a constant 35+CFM, you're going to have to have problems with the flow dropping and inconsistency.
    I'd really like to get one of those HVLP turbines. 500 bucks is not bad considering what I'd need to spend on a compressor that could keep up with 60CFM.

12. rustang

rustang

For a good economical gun that really sprays nice, and does not use much air, check out the Astro Pneumatic 4014 EVO LVLP. This gun is designed to use less air than a traditional HVLP...... I bought one after lots if research and do love it.... Just something to consider if you have a small compressor.... Tom

loudbang likes this.
  13. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

14. I don't mean to hijack this thread. But how does HRF hold up? I am looking and trying to do as much research on the different flats and satin paints out there.

15. so how did the op's paint job come out?

16. Gas_Tires_Oil likes this.
  17. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Holds up pretty well. For the price you can't beat it. Springtime pollen sucks though. The flat finish is rough and the pollen gets inbedded. I've seen some guys buff it out a little to help make it easier for detailing. Tried RatWax and it didn't work. I use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax.

18. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Thanks!