Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Deuce on a Model A frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bondojunkie, Apr 27, 2014.

1. O.K- I searched the forum pretty carefully before asking this but didn't find anything; if I missed a similar post- my apologies.

I know I'm going to get some grief for this question or responses like "just buy a deuce frame" or "buy a new set of rails and build your own". The one is out of my reach and the other may be just a bit beyond my skill level; and I've also heard that with out a fixture to build it in it will turn out wonky.

To further anger my fellow HAMBers I'm asking this because I came across a fiberglass 32 roadster body for cheap (if I had the scratch to buy a steel body, even a clapped out one, I would obviously go ahead and get the proper frame). So this mongrel marriage would be a tupperware body to a model a frame! I know how it sounds but when I started doing the math between the parts I have on hand, the stuff by buddies started volunteering to donate and the price of admission on the body- I'm realistically looking at a $4500- $5000 roadster to beat on this summer.

So, all of that being said I will now entertain your verbal slings and arrows. I'm sure I'll hear plenty about "whether" it should be done, but what I'm really interested to know is "CAN" it be done or "has" it been done? I yield the floor.

2. I'll just say that this HAS been asked before and there was not a lot of love.

3. You can certainly do that and what ever you want!! Don't take bad comments to heart, In the end it is your car, your money, and if you like it- THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!!!

4. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

There are two big issues, both of which are not insurmountable. First the Model A wheelbase is shorter. This could be dealt with up front by using a suicide type front end that would move the front axle ahead. It could also be taken care of in the rear by mounting the spring in front of the rear axle with the spring in the stock A location, thus extending the wheelbase. The other issue is that the sides of the A frame wouldn't look right under a 32 body. A fake side frame piece could be fabricated that had the appearance of the sculpted contour of a 32 frame, or the body could be channeled to hide the frame. Anything can be done, it's just a question of whether it's worth doing or the end result is desirable. I totally understand the motivation of trying to build something on the cheap, which is getting harder and harder to do these days.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

A well done glass 32 is worth a fair amount of money- bastardized on a model a frame
    would cut value considerably- much more in my opinion than you would save, so it makes
    no kind of economic sense. It would look silly to any one seeing it also so unless you want
    to attract attention for the wrong reasons do not do it.
    Looking past the sad ending to his saga- read the build by Wild Turkey for what a glass
    Duece can have done to it. Show as much pride and talent and you can have a nice car.
    Buy a legit deuce aftermarket frame and get a manufacturers statement of origin.

6. Maybe he is not worried about resale value, and just wants to have it to drive and beat on. AND HAVE FUNNNNNN!!

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it would pretty much have to be channeled to be any type of good looking car. otherwise forget it.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, that is the only way it could turn out Ok. Bob :)

9. xlr8 - thanks for the info! I hadn't considered the wheel base issue. I had considered possibly channeling the body to hide the A frame; a buddy suggested just building a 2x3 tube chassis and channeling the body over it (kind of like the kit that speedway sells).

10. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

okay here is how I would do it if that was the route I was going:

suicide front end to get the right wheel base
    channel the car over the frame to make it pleasing on the eyes and hide the A frame
    drive the piss out of it

now that it can be done, should it be? depends. the model A frame isn't nearly as rigid as the deuce frame. You would need to brace it all up and create the front end from scratch. At the end of the day, it might be easier just to buy a deuce frame already made up from the aftermarket guys (think blackboard frames). They aren't that expensive when you add in materials to get the A frame structurally sound and the cost of your headaches and time.

11. thanks all- I think your right, anything but a 32 frame will require channeling to make it look acceptable. And let me say that I've seen pics of the body but haven't gone to inspect it yet- but basically looking at $2000 for the body with floor installed but doors not hung. 2 G's ain't chicken feed but it seems cheap enough to experiment with.

12. If you must.......get some 2x4 box tubing, build a frame and channel the body.

13. Squablow

Squablow

I would suggest going with the spring in front rearend or just a bit of a frame extension instead of a suicide spring mount. Suicide mounts are for T-buckets in my opinion, would look funny on a Deuce.

I think if it was channeled it'd look fine. Maybe not as nice as a highboy on stock rails, but still respectable and if you can get it roadworthy by summer for $5K you'll be my hero! That'd be a lot of fun for the money.

Floor installed in the fiberglass body might be a down side if you have to cut it all back out to do the channel. Not sure that would stop me, but it's something to consider.

14. silversink

silversink

If it was me I would find someone who can't live without the 32 body and buy a good A roadster body for your frame or sell the frame you have and get aftermarket side rails for a 32 and build from there. The 32 body would fetsh a good A body with most of the hard work done. I know the 32 is the holy grail but an A can be just as nice and more fun to drive as you could enjoy it instead of guarding the 32 and not have time to have fun----I'm all for having fun.

15. thanks for all the input. This kind of started out as an excited B.S session with friends: "i found a roadster for 2 Gs" - "I've got a rear end you can have" - "I know where there's a Y block and 3 speed"... It seemed great in theory. Just another beer-fueled flight of fancy.