Register now to get rid of these ads!

where is my 53 Ford custom? Found!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ss34coupe, Nov 5, 2007.

1. low51fan

low51fan

great story it is great to see people find their old long lost cars

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks for the tip. I got new coils from Jamco that are supposed to lower the front by 3 inches. Also got their disc brake set up. With all this came a pair of brackets that bolt into the upper control arm mounting holes, and raise it up about 1 1/2 inches. Now I know what those brackets are for!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I am one of the lucky ones who found his old car, but is sure is a lot of work to bring it back to life. I want to get it to the stage where the body/fenders/hood
    and trunk are all together and primed, and then this project will be put aside for awhile so I can get back to my channeled 33 five window coupe.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Got the trunk lid bolted in, no rubber yet so it will have to be better aligned later. Have a problem with the right side of the cowl being a bit too far forward, and this is causing alignment problems with the door and fender. Working on that now so that the gaps are done right.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. redroaddog

redroaddog

check the frame to see if its up under the cowl that could cause fitment problems like that.....Dave

6. Topsterguy

Topsterguy

Looking great Steve! I'll have to stop by one Saturday soon ! Larry Z

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

With a little bit of winching the top of the cowl has almost come back into place - some more effort will get it there. Have the convertible top mechanism on and it fits properly, so slowly the build is coming together.

Larry - come on over for a look at the car when you get a chance - this build is actually starting to grow on me, it has been a real challenge but is finally getting somewhere. Just got to keep going on it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

The cowl is now aligned, the doors gapped (still a bit of work to do on the passenger side), and the front fenders are on. Hey, you get a lot done when you take a day off work! This weekend hopefully gets the hood and rest of the front end mounted and working. Pics will come then. Now back to work tomorrow........can't wait for the weekend to get to the garage!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work Steve. Nice to be able to save your old custom. Once done, it will probably be better than it was originally.

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks for the comment. I guess everything in a way is better than it was back in the day, but we really owe it to those guys who built rods and customs because they started it all for us. When this convertible was first customized, it was a car that could be driven while the owner/builder (Rod Hoffman) worked on the many modifications he made to the body - like rolled pans front and rear, frenched headlights, Cadillac taillights, nerf bars and many more. Today when building a car we take it down to the bare frame and start from there, and that is what I have had to do with this build. A lot more time and money to be sure, but I think it will be worth it when I can finally drive the finished product.

Deuce-Merchant and volvobrynk like this.
  11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Got the front sheet metal on so the project is finally starting to look like a car. It has been a big chore to get all the parts to line up properly, but it is getting there. Want to get the front set up for the 54 Desoto grill that I have for this build - I think it will look great in there. Here are some pics of the current progress....

Attached Files:

oliver westlund and volvobrynk like this.
  12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Trying to sort out the rear suspension now. Has leaf springs that I purchased from Jamco a few years ago, and my concern is that they may be too long. Can anyone tell me what the length of a 53 Ford rear spring is from eye to eye? Got rid of the stock ones long ago so need your help on this. The pic (not my car) shows how the spring should fit - my springs are too long and will only work if they are placed below the rear mount, meaning the rear is raised instead of the lowered look I want.
    If I have the wrong springs will have to get the right ones.

Attached Files:

13. Car is looking good Steve. New grille is a real improvement.

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks, Pat. It has been a lot of work but it is coming around. I agree that the 54 Desoto grill is right for this car. Looking for a measurement on a stock 53 Ford rear leaf spring if you have any - need the distance determining length.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Been working away at installing the 54 Desoto grill in the car, and have almost finished making all the necessary brackets. This grill is much bigger and heavier than a stock 53 Ford grill, and it is a lot of work to make it fit right - but man it looks good!

16. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like that grill!

18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks! It has been a lot of work getting the grill to look like it belongs in there, but it is all coming together. Next step is to prep the entire sheet metal area for several coats of primer. Maybe this weekend.....

dana barlow likes this.
  19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Threw some more primer on the car today, and used a turbine sprayer for the first time. Definitely will take some getting used to, and good thing I can practice with primer. Overall I think the turbine sprayer will be a simpler and effective system that the old air compressor unit I am used to using. IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0542.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Couple more pics......lots of sanding to do and then some more primer goes on this weekend.... IMG_0544.JPG IMG_0540.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Put some more primer on this weekend, and earlier in the week got the door/fender gaps looking better. Now everything is just about where I want it. Going to put the dash in, bumpers on and install the 54 Desoto grill - and then put this project away for awhile. Want to get back to my 33 ford five window coupe build - it has been sitting too long. IMG_0566.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Finally got this project to the stage where I will put it away and get going on my 33 Ford 5 window.
    Here are some current pics showing the grill installed, bumpers on, etc. Really like how it is turning out, and the hard work is over. IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0622.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Have restored the original seats - minus the upholstery - and reinstalled them. IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0618.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. I really like the grill treatment. HRP

25. Really cool. The DeSoto grille appears to be made for your ragtop! nice look.

26. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Most guys seem to like the 54 Desoto grill better than the custom one made by the original builder of this custom back in the early 60's. The pic shows the way the custom looked when I first bought it in late 1971, but all the front sheet metal was missing, including the grill, when I got the car back in early 2008. So I went with my own idea of what it should look like - had the custom been intact when I got it back, likely would have kept it the way Rod Hoffman built it. He did a great job with the many body mods on this convertible back in the early 60's. BlueDolphin-1.jpg

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Such a nice build. You did good!

I really like the rollpans, from the original build. I liked to first custom grill, but the new ones os really sharp looking too.
    But other then that, I only have good thing to say about this car.

I just read the whole thread, and what a ride. But nice work!

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks for your kind comments!

30. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good. Like the Desoto grille better than the original. Any plans to round the hood corners ?