Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this a 32 roadster pickup cowl?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thequietwon, Apr 20, 2014.

1. thequietwon

thequietwon

Hello...
    I bought a bunch of 32 stuff this weekend and this cowl was included. I believe it is a 32 roadster pickup cowl, but wanted to verify it. Also, I will probably sell it to recoup some money, so any rough idea of value?
    Thanks...
    Sam

Attached Files:

2. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I do not think its Ford.. The dash is not right.. Somewhere in the last couple of months I looked at cowl's loke this $250.00 / $450.00 but I do not think either sold..

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Sure looks like one to me.

4. Clark

Clark

Yes and no...they used the same cowl on firetrucks and other commercial vehicles. Although it is the same yours doesn't look like it has the windshield post holes.

I would love to get one. I will be making a set of doors and rear of the cab for a real rpu and figure I might as well make myself one too. How the real doors and back got lost is a long story
    Clark

5. roundvalley

roundvalley

Clark is the man. Dash looks like a pickup, it was also in buses, ambulances.
    I have had a couple of dashes and it looks the same, just cut out center.
    No windshield mounting holes for a roadster pickup.

6. Mo rust

Mo rust

That is a 32 roadster pickup dash with the center cut out. I've got one hanging on my wall. They also used that dash on some commercial cowls as well.

7. Mo rust

Mo rust

Here's a picture of a 32 roadster dash

Attached Files:

8. Sam,it could possibly be from a 32-34 Ford bus,,there is no provisions for windshield post. HRP

[​IMG]

9. thequietwon

thequietwon

So from what I have been able to gather it is the same cowl as was used in a roadster pickup, just with no hole with for the windshield post? It does have provisions for door hinges, and from the pic that Danny posted the school bus wouldn't have used them. Would the school bus use the same dash?
    Thanks...
    Sam

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Shop here in Nebraska that's made 4 or five pairs of 32/34 RPU doors and back sections plus the windshield filler. Looked darn nice.

11. Weasel

Weasel

1932 Roadster dash is not the same as rpu dash. I have owned two real 1932 rpus. Nothing interchanges between 1932 roadster and rpu bodies. Gauge cluster is smaller on rpu....

12. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I need a smaller cluster, if anyone buys this cowl I have a very nice dash for rpu or comm. cowl that I don't want to alter to fit my gauges in. Here's a couple pics. of a rpu./comm. dash.

Attached Files:

13. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

Hi , Yes its a 1932 Commercial Cowl for a custom made vehicle -- truck , bus or other type . The small tabs at the lower front opening where the firewall fits are there . No other Ford model has these . Thanks -- Joe

14. alchemy

alchemy

The only thing keeping that cowl from becoming an RPU cowl is a well placed drill bit

.... and finding a bunch of hens-teeth-rare body and windshield parts.

15. alchemy

alchemy

EVERY other '32 Ford has those tabs. Nomatterwhat body style.

16. thequietwon

thequietwon

Clark...
    You want to make another set of doors and back of cab? Maybe I'll keep it for a future project...pm me if you are interested.
    Sam

17. ken1939

ken1939

So have we come up with a selling price? I have been looking for a 32 RPU Cowl.

18. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

I had a similar one for a Model A they called a commercial cowl. Used for Mail trucks etc.

19. thequietwon

thequietwon

Any educated guess as to value? I know that value threads aren't very popular, but I am a little out of my element here. While I am fastly becoming a 32 hoarder, I already have several projects to keep me busy. It sounds crazy, but I bought this bunch of Deuce parts so that I could get a set of original garnish moldings for my 3w. I will be listing alot of this stuff in the classifieds soon.
    I have had a couple of offers...one at 300, the other at 750. If that is all that it is worth, I'll stick it in the attic for a later date. I appreciate your guidance & info with this...
    Sam

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  20. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

Im crying foul see no windshield mounting holes

21. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

It sounds like the only thing that would drive the price of the cowl up is if you had the hard to find rpu. windshield and trim parts with it. As is it's just a '32 comm. cowl.

22. ken1939

ken1939

The cowl is the part that is easiest to find, with or without holes. The doors, winshield and posts, dash are all special. Although the windshield frame are similar to the 31 Std roadster.

23. thequietwon

thequietwon

Thanks for all the help guys. I listed it in the classifieds for what may be a ridiculous price, but we will see. It is in excellent shape and will clean up nicely. If it doesn't sell, I will put it up for a later project...
    Sam

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The commercial cowl was most often used on BB big truck chassis being sold as cowl and chassis units, the basis for buses, ambulances, bookmobiles, moving vans, and other fully custom bodied commercial vehicles. Cowl and chassis units were sold from the Model TT trucks through at least the 70s and perhaps today.
    I think most of the RPU bodies likely sat on BB chassis with flatbeds in southern and western orchards and truck farm situations.

25. I think he just forgot the word "pickup". The photo he posted is of a commercial open cab dash.

26. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

In no way do I claim to be an expert, but I have seen them called driveaway cowls. The factory sold running chassis to body building co.s with firewall,cowl ,gauges and steering included. This would be useful for loading for delivery and movement around factory storage lots. The buyer used the parts to fit their own needs as they built their own body, as in moving van ,bus,airport or other special needs vehicles. Living near a Chevrolet plant as a kid I saw many such chassis on carriers on their way to other shops.

27. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

dear alchemy , no need to raise the type level . i regard a 1932 ford as the '32 model with about 14 to 20 odd body styles all taking the same firewall with the same tabs at the lower front cowl position . different to a 31 model or a 33 model and all the others . so we are probably on the same wavelength , the terminology may differ . im a hotrodder and 32 fords are it for me -- real ones at least . yours sincereley joe