Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevrolet seats need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by problemchild, Apr 23, 2014.

1. problemchild

problemchild
    from canada

Hi all just picked up a set of 63 impala buckets seats for my 55 with no seat tracks need help anyone put these in and what tracks did you use or modify or should I mount them solid .thanks Dave

2. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

63 impala seats look good in tri fives. Don't mount solid. Best to find the tracks that fit your seats. Your going to have to do some fab work to make them fit the 55.
    The 55 floor is not flat so you need to make up brackets to mount your new seats and tracks to. Ron

3. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Ron is correct... The out board side of the 55 is lower than the tranny hump side. Some type of seat riser needs to be built for at least the outside tracks if you want to have the seat backs even and not drooping. :cool:

4. squirrel

squirrel

You should be able to use most any 1950s-70s seat tracks. Expect to do some fabrication to make them fit the car. And make sure you get the seats in the right place...height, angle front/rear, level side to side, etc. It's not an easy job, take your time and do it right.

5. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

What squirrel said ! ^

6. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Those seats will never fit in a 55 chevy, but they will fit in my 57:) Just sayin.

7. problemchild

problemchild
    from canada

Thanks so much I'm going to try and find some seat tracks and take your guys advice I was real lucky finding these seats they are tough to find around these parts should look great will take the time to set them up right.

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The corvair seats I put in mine had the original tracks on em but a guy told me I could take the tracks off the bench and use them for the outside ones on the buckets so they would bolt directly to the floor in its original place.

I didnt try that because for one I didnt have the bench tracks and two, by making and using some small block shims to go under the tracks of the seats they worked out great.

9. problemchild

problemchild
    from canada

Low budget I'm going to try that I have the front bench seat going to see if that will work pretty sure it still has tracks thanks

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You will still be short the 2 inside tracks, so dont know what you will do there but....

I might add also that in case you didnt know those original split back 2 door bench seats bring some pretty good money (probably more with tracks)because everyone threw them away when they put buckets in over the years and now a lot of people want them back, 55 and 56s were basicly the same but the 57 was diffrent making a 57 seat worth a little more.

I traded my roached out 55 bench for the almost perfect corvair seats that I put back in that 55 a couple years ago.

11. snaptwo

snaptwo

Danchucks or Classic Chevys have the proper seat track risers for that conversion. X2 on the value of gennies though.

12. problemchild

problemchild
    from canada

Thanks again .... yeah a buddy of mine wants the front seat he was suppose to find me buckets never did so I will end up selling it hopefully pay for impala buckets I bought.

13. rojo12

rojo12

I have installed very similar seats in my 55. I put flat bar across underneath and used S10 seat tracks. They come very close to matching the floor pan in the 55. Simple job a couple hours and you're done. I used a 3" x 3" piece of 1"4 flat bar under the floor pan to replicate the original re-enforcement.