Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1957 Caddy Pinion Seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick50, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Our Caddy needs a pinion seal and my parts guy says there are two seals listed, neither of which are available from his sources.

Kanter lists one seal from 1957-69 for $31.
    I've had good luck with these guys in the past.

Can anybody share any idears as to who might be correct?

2. squirrel

squirrel

My guess is a seal that you can buy, is better than two that you can't buy.

My 20 year old National catalog does not list one.

3. Carefully pull the old seal out and have your parts guy match one up by dimentions. I've had to do this for mine. Their books give lip material heat and wear factors too.

4. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

There are 2 versions of the seal. My 1950 Cad uses CR 18671 seal inside a seal carrier. You remove the seal carrier from the front and then the seal removes from the back. I got my seal from USA parts, they use their own part number. The CR 18671 was the seal in the box. My 59 uses a much larger seal that is actually the same dimensions as the seal holder in the '50 Cad. Can't find the info on the 59 seal.
    Link to USA supply: http://www.usapartssupply.com/cadillac.php
    They list both seals.
    Curly

5. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

This is what the seal with carrier looks like in my 50. Your 59 could use this design or the single large seal.

Curly

Attached Files:

6. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

7. txturbo

txturbo

If you get the number off the seal you can go to a bearing supply place and get them way cheaper or search eBay by the seal number. I needed a rear seal for my 63 caddy trans recently. The auto parts places wanted $30 for one seal....found a box of 10 on eBay for $30 with free shipping.