Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint removal on aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2car, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Guys,
    I have an aluminum intake manifold and heads (flathead) that have been smoothed and painted.
    I'd like to know how to get the paint off as easily as possible? I can bead-blast them, but would rather not. Will a good paint remover work?
    Any suggestions are welcomed.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm looking for an answer to this question as well!

3. ja992

ja992
    from Fargo, ND

Aircraft stripper should be safe for aluminum.

geoffcoop likes this.
  4. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

Check with someone who restores British cars.

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I use clean strip on aluminum air horns and it doesn't hurt them at all. I get it at Home Depot. You need to use the de-activator to stop it from working afterwards. Wear a mask that stuff is caustic.

6. Had very good success stripping the aluminum hood on an off HAMB topic MGC before I had louvers punched and although the can says "aircraft stripper" the directions say (yes. I do read the instructions) to DO NOT USE ON AIRCRAFT....WTF ? PS-It is water soluble and does stink

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Aircraft stripper . Brush on a heavy coat , wrap it in plastic wrap and wait about a half hour . use a wire brush and wash it off .

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The Right Way!!! ^^^^^^^^^^Aircraft stripper X4. Brass wire brush, avoid scratches.
    Whatever you do, Don't use E-Z off oven cleaner. (especially on cast aluminum!)

The porosity of cast aluminum makes it prone to disintegrate on its surface, leaving stains both light and dark when oven cleaner is spilled onto it.

9. Indian_Skippy

Indian_Skippy

I work as an aircraft engineer and the painters normally use a product called Turco. I had them do some wheels for me once they painted it on and then threw the wheels under some heat lamps which aids the stripping process. Granted the wheels where steel but they also use the same stuff on large sheetmetal sections of the aircraft also (Aluminium).
    It's a baby poo yellow colour and smells amazingly bad.
    I think the mat spec is turco 5351 but I'll double check at work today..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. mopacltd

mopacltd

I used aircraft stripper years ago to strip about 50 coats of paint on my fed. What ever you do, where rubber gloves that don't have holes in them. It took me months to grow my finger nails back that just plain melted away.

11. Indian_Skippy

Indian_Skippy

Yep defiantly wear gloves preferably nitrile gloves and double up its nasty stuff..
    Also turco5351 is confirmed you can use water to neutralise it but also keep some thinners nearby in case you get some on yourself even the smallest amount you'll defiantly know about it I'd wear some disposable overalls and if you wanted a mask also

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. txturbo

txturbo

Captn Lees Aircraft stripper.....clear as water, barely has a smell and neutralizes with water. Safe for aluminum, glass and fiberglass. Can only be ordered off the internet or by phone. Not available in stores.