Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drive shaft / rearend pinion angle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TANNERGANG, Apr 26, 2014.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

'32 ford highboy...got a vibration like harmonics setting up in my car from 65-75...seems to smooth out around 80.....i haven't checked my drive shaft and rear end angles yet....like some input on what your running before i check mine......i want info from '32 ford coupe owners only.....i don't need to know what someones merc, edsel or 40 sedan is set on....i've got a problem with a '32 ford and that's who i need info from..............thanks in advance

2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Probably not the driveshaft angle. Yokes out of phase maybe, bad balance on the drive shaft, possibly. Most likely its the tires.

3. Window Licker

Window Licker

driveshafts work the same on all vehicles the output shaft of the transmission needs to be parallel to the pinion simple as that for all cars. this is of course until the angle goes beyond the accepted range for the joint. small variations shouldn't cause much of an issue

4. F&J

F&J

I live in a hilly area, so I'd need to move to a flat part of the state to measure the angle, right?

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, F & J, you might want to take several tanks of oxygen back up the hill when you go. I do believe that thin air is working against you.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you need a hug?

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. slammed

slammed

9. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I was going to tell him what his problem is but I sold my 32 so i will keep my mouth shut

Montana1 likes this.
  10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I wouldnt listen to anybodys advice untill they proved they own a 32. And not one of them fiberglass ones (they have different angles).

Montana1 likes this.
  11. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

My Mom was born in '32. Does that count?

12. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

trans 3 down,rear 3 up....but I have a 34,und it is a truck ,so sorry I cant help.

13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Hey you're a 34 guy! No answering of any kind.

Crap I've got a 31. Oops.

But seriously, I know two guys that are cousins AND brothers, I could ask them if they know.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Also request was specifically for '32 Ford Highboy Coupe owners only, not those pesky pickup/sedan/roadster owners.

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Are you guys yoking or what???

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Who is going to be post number 32...

17. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I don't even like 32's but I have a opinion that I can't share, because I don't have a 32.

18. squirrel

squirrel

I'd like to help, but the only 32 I've ever driven had a closed driveline, with no pinion angle issues whatsoever.

(this is a good example of how to pose a tech question in a way that it won't get answered. The part about "tell me your setup before I tell you what I have" is classic)

19. 53 ford

53 ford

Dad taught me the crosses should be in phase and the shaft should be 1/8 inch per foot out of alignment. Harley

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

This thread is going well!
    Jay

21. It's just as it started I think.

I need help.
    Only 32 owners may respond
    Would all the 32 owners please measure your pinion angles and report back to me.

There's no help for this and you can't fix it.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well, Tanner did post a revision which I may actually qualify to respond to. I'm no expert but I did read the other relevant threads, set up my angles and my heap doesn't vibrate.

The angles of the trans and rear themselves (to the ground) is not as important as having them parallel to each other. And the drive shaft needs to be angled to the trans/rear to make the U-joint needles move and lubricate. This can be up/down angle or side to side or a combination of both. As mentioned the drive shaft yokes need to be in phase (holes for joints in same line).

Experts, please correct or expand. Here is that neat video on drive shaft vibration due to angles.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4qwLfOMY

23. 1gearhead

1gearhead

i have a 34 that is trans 3º Down and the Diff is 3º up. I am also building a 1928 Roadster that is the same. The average of the 34 and the 28 is 32, does that count. Just because it is a 32 does not make the drive line angles unique. A correct drive line angle is a correct drive line angle no matter what it is in. So, loose the elitest 32 attitude.

24. Hey guys give the guy a break.
    He's a pinstriper/sign painter for christ's sales.
    Let's see you grab a Mack brush and some 1 shot and do what he does.
    He's just askin 4 advice and nuttin else

25. Beau

Beau

Bring it to a mechanic. If you built the truck, you'd know what to check for.

...and your Highboy is neither a '32 or a Ford.

26. Ouch.

Your drive shaft doesn't care what type of car it's in.....the same basic principal applies to any car.

27. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Well, if you grow old only helping people you like, your funeral may be kinda sparse....I've found that when you treat or help someone who could never repay you...it gives you a feeling of character and purpose....besides, it never hurts any of us to be nice.

28. Sure- you took the privilege of me giving you my ideas and alienated me because I don't own a 32 ford, same goes for everyone else who don't own a 32.

There you go,
    I don't think you passed that test yesterday. But today is still new and I have hope for tomorrow. See the irony within ?

29. highboy

highboy
    from marin

I fully understand what he's saying... I joined the 32 club last year and i cant even remember my old model A buddies names anymore. hehe.

30. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I wasn't trying to put myself in an elite group...I'm a one man Sign Shop that has done pinstriping and signs for 43 years, so if you know anything about elite groups, you know I'm not an elite.high dollar guy...I've worked my butt off for everything I've got...the reason I posted my ad that way was from years ago when I was racing stock cars and we ran different wheelbase cars, engine/transmission types.......if you needed help, first you had to go to someone that was running what you were running...that was the quickest way to saving time and money to fix your problem.....I figured depending on all '32's wheelbase being pretty close coupe or sedan, I'd post it that way......my apologies to all who think I may have been trying to separate myself to some elite group...thanks to the ones who have jokingly answered but didn't know and to the others..I hope when you have a problem you can't figure out, that you post on the HAMB and get more respect than you've given........"THE TRUEST TEST OF A MANS CHARACTER IS HOW HE TREATS PEOPLE HE DON'T NEED"