Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 55 Chevy Gasser ride height

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Liquid Wrench, Apr 24, 2014.

1. CalGasser

CalGasser

Here're some tri-five ride height pix. IMHO, if bottom of the rocker panel is above the center of rear axle, it will begin to look like a street freak or 4X4. If you're running old style ladder bars where it's welded to the rear axle housing and pivots on the front, you'll need a floater (what I run) or shackle in front of bars to prevent spring windup and eventual breakage. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Cool pics for sure, but they look really different with radiused rear wheels.

The rocker to wheel center relation is the first thing I look at or at least that's the first that catches my eye and I'm forced to look there first. Either way, it all seems to start there.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I agree with radiused vs. not radiused, as it pertains to ride height. A Tri 5 with radiused wheelwells can get away with being much lower. But in my opinion if you're going to retain a stock rear wheelwell, then too low just makes the car look tired and droopy.

4. CalGasser

CalGasser

I totally agree with both of your assessments to ride height. Rocker panel too low - looks droopy and too high, it begins to look like a 4X4. One of the first things that catches my eye is the level of rocker panel in relation to axle centerline, then a slight nose up... but then, to each his own. To me, the more serious cars had fenderwells radiused - at least it seems that way. Back in the 60's, I couldn't afford to radius my rears and tires weren't allowed to exit the fenders (if it was a street driven car) in our state so it was a no no. Some people liked to graft a Nomad rear fender opening which was okay but I personally prefer the tradional round opening - screams Gasser!
    Laws have relaxed quite a bit especially in CA so we can get away with things now we couldn't back then. A few more pix to enjoy!

Attached Files:

5. CalGasser

CalGasser

This is one of my all time favorite angles of a Gasser.

Attached Files:

6. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Well I spent most of the day yesterday driving the 55. It seems the rear leafs are sacked out. The more I drove it, the lower it got in the rear. It's now much lower. Springs are dead. -Interesting how they just went away after removing the ladder bars. Going to have new leafs made and bring it back up.

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Easy answer.: It "Should" look like the front tires are 4 feet off the ground about 20 feet past the starting line. Any more than that is overkill! :)

8. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Right On!