Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Route 66 Chicago to Flagstaff 23 APRIL. Anybody Else?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M1Lover, Apr 20, 2014.

1. M1Lover

M1Lover

Wife and I are headed to buy that classic car (a '63 Buick LeSabre hardtop) we've always wanted. Its in Wisconsin (full report on this later). We arrive in Milwaukee on the 22nd of April and are planning on driving it down to Chicago and home to Arizona, via Route 66. We will be in Chicago on the afternoon of the 23rd to start at the beginning of 66. We've always wanted to do this drive and we now have the chance.
    We're planning to take about a week, maybe more if we're digging the sites. Just checking in to see if any other HAMB'ers will be on the Mother Road around Chicago the same time as we are. Want to meet up for a burger somewhere?
    We wouldn't be opposed to travelling together if there's an opportunity to do so. Just checkin'! My email is in my profile.
    Get your kicks! H.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. M1Lover

M1Lover

Bought the car in Jefferson, WI from BobWop at Top Notch. More about that later. Headed to Chicago today. Highway Adventures await us I have NO doubt. Wish us luck. H.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3. txturbo

txturbo

Good luck! Wish I was in the area!

4. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

If you get the chance stop off in Atlanta IL and check out Memories Rt 66 downtown. It's a little museum dedicated to Rt 66 that has some cool stuff in it. Hours are not set but it's worth the stop. Chubbys pub next door is good for a burger too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Im in McHenry co northern Illinois, im sure your past ( or will be) but ill b home around 630, if you wanna stop have a beer and bs. Cant leave the fam or work, otherwise i would love to make a trip across 66.

6. M1Lover

M1Lover

Will DO! Looks like Atlanta will be a great lunch stop from Chicago. Thanks for the recommendation. H.

7. M1Lover

M1Lover

We're in Chicago but THANK YOU for the invite. If I'd seen it earlier today I'd have stopped! Kind regards, H.

8. M1Lover

M1Lover

THIS will be a ubiquitous sight on this trip…. H.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

surfersrust likes this.
  9. hudson48

hudson48

Don't forget the Galaxy Diner in Flagstaff. I think they have a car show there on Friday nights too.

10. M1Lover

M1Lover

Lived in Flagstaff for 20 something years. Galaxy Diner is a remodeled Bob's Big Boy! Yep, been there. THANKS though! H.

11. TexasDart

TexasDart

Nice car! I was wanting that one bad...almost emailed him about swapping for my Dart.

12. M1Lover

M1Lover

I hear you. The Buddha said: Desire is suffering. Man, truer words were never spoken.
    Pretty straight car. Minimal rust for the region ( remember I'm from Arizona). Likely original 84k miles on the body. Engine replaced with a 425, runs good.
    More from the Road! H.

13. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I forgot there is also the Palms Cafe in Atlanta that is restored to as is was in the late 30's and one of the original Paul Bunyan statues is there too! If it were Friday I'd meet you there but have to work tomorrow.

14. ryno

ryno

I'm in joplin mo. Shoot me a pm if you want yo meet up for lunch or such. I gave a full shop also if need be. Not sure of your timing, but stray kat customs is hosting their annual stray kat 500 show in Dewey ok next weekend 2-4? I think the dates are, also doing a cruise to the Daryl star bird custom hall of fame museum on Friday.

M1Lover likes this.
  15. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

M1Lover,
    Man , your liviv the dream. Good luck on the ride home. Wish I could be there with ya. Very cool car too.

M1Lover likes this.
  16. 80WTI

80WTI

They make the best thickshake around, and the meals where great as well.

M1Lover likes this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice ride for crusin' 66.
    I'm at Zuzax on old 66 in New Mexico, 10 miles East of Albuquerque. Let me know when you are in the area and I'll meet up and run with you for a while. Lots of options here for 66 sights and eats.
    Safe, trouble free travels.

Larry

M1Lover likes this.
  18. M1Lover

M1Lover

Thanx Larry. I'll PM you when I get close. Still in Chicago playing tourist. Headed out tomorrow, but taking our time going West (and South) H.

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds great. I will be following you and good that you can take time to look at the sights.
    Chicago has some great pie...pizza that is.

Larry

20. M1Lover

M1Lover

Buick running good. Pulled up to the Drake Hotel in Chicago after checkout to get our gear. Bell Captain and staff swarmed us and demanded to see the engine. Very funny to see their reaction when a "real" car pulls up. Made it out of Chicago alive and headed south and west. Nice to be on the Road. H.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Dwight, Illinois:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

surfersrust likes this.
  21. M1Lover

M1Lover

One more shot for today:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

22. blackrd

blackrd
    from Illinoize

The gemini giant, Wilmington, Illinois.
    I believe it was a guy holding a muffler, and they modified it in the early 60's to make it holdint the rocket.

23. M1Lover

M1Lover

He's one of the 3 "Paul Bunyans" in Illinois. The Gemini Giant is at the Launching Pad Drive-In (closed). Still, an icon of the era….

24. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

The one is Atlanta was from the Chicago area originally...it's now holding a hot dog!

25. M1Lover

M1Lover

Chain of Rocks Bridge is easily accessed from the Illinois side, though we did run around a bit before we found the entrance from the highway. WELL worth the trip. We skipped downtown St. Louis for a number of reasons (been there, done that years ago is the best one) but you do not want to skip the Chain of Rocks Bridge. NICE place.
    [​IMG]
    Missouri has a lot of NICE stretches of 66 alignments. Rolling wooded hills and the dogwood are in full bloom. Its absolutely lovely driving.
    They have 93 octane high-test, but we bought a tank of regular at $3.19 a gallon.
    There's a little old garage on the alignments just west of Halltown, MO before you get to Carthage, you also don't want to miss, BUT plan on at least an hour (two or more is better) to talk with Gary, the 66 Diplomat, at the Gay Parita (ladies name) Garage. What a gent. We truly enjoyed our afternoon with Gary, he's a genuine soul and LOVES the Old Road. And man does he have a ton of stuff at the garage? Heck yeah he does. Plus he's got a bunch of great 66 t-shirts, etc. etc. available for sale. Maybe the most fun day we've had yet this trip.
    [​IMG]Car is still running great. We had a great day today, and, at Gary's recommendation, are staying the night in a classic route 66 hotel, the Best Budget Inn on the Lake north of Carthage. Nice folks, clean place, great $45 rate for 66 travellers. Tulsa (at least) tomorrow! Hunter

26. stimpy

stimpy

yep it was on Ogden ave ( rt34/66) in Berwyn at Bunyons , across from Weimar machine ( a Old speed shop ) for many years till it closed up . and the galaxy giant was hit a few years back and repaired

too bad I didn't see this sooner as I could have recommended a food stop in wilmington , lived in the area since 95

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you are having way too much fun!!
    Hope its not too late for you to pick up a copy of this neat book, it would fit in for your travels!---Keep the shiny side up---Don

Attached Files:

M1Lover likes this.
  28. M1Lover

M1Lover

THANKS Don. We're runnin' with Jerry McClanahan's spiral bound EZ66 traveller's guide. Its excellent and accurate. I've got Mike Wallis' videos though… H

29. 80WTI

80WTI

Looks like your having a good time, I only went as far as Amarillo tx from Cali so i will have to do the other half one day soon, but i would love to do it the way you are in a classic old cruiser. keep those pics coming. Lee

M1Lover likes this.
  30. hudson48

hudson48

Reliving our memories of Route 66 in 2009.Chicago to CA via Las Vegas.We also used that spiral bound guide and it was excellent.
    What a great trip and now I am seeing via your pictures and text a lot of what we did on our journey. We did ours in a crummy Dodge people mover (4 of us) not a classic car or hot rod.
    I see where the tornados hit around Quapaw OK which we went through on our travels. We stayed in Miami OK and lucked on a V8 motor bike group.
    Over 300 bikes with anything from small block Fords and Chevs to a fuel injected 502 with nitrous!!! These guys were serious crazy!!!