Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical JC Whitney fuel sender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobacuda, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Bobacuda

Bobacuda

The fuel sender in my 1953 Dodge truck's gas tank rotted away and ceased functioning. I'm pretty sure it was here in the Pilothouse Forum that I first heard about the JC Whitney universal replacement, but no one there has responded. Since I also visit this site, I got to thinking that maybe this is where I learned about it. I had the stock number, so I called Whitney, and they had it available. It cost $44 in 2011.

The time in the rebuild of my truck has finally come for me to install it, although it won't see gas for some time still. The unit is a one wire, universal replacement with a 5 screw mount, 78-10 ohms range. The mount was irrelevant to me because my old tank had to be completely rebuilt and I had a modern, 5 screw mount plate installed.

I am reading the installation directions, and if I follow them, the rheostat will be in the gas at 1/2 tank and completely submerged when the tank is over 1/2 full. For those of you that have used this sender, or simply know these things, does this sound right (safe) to you - putting the rheostat in the gas? Won't that keep it from functioning? And if you have better instructions than they provided on "bending the float arm," that would be appreciated, too.

Thanks.

BTW, here is all of the ordering info on the sender, in case you are in need of one.

JC Whitney
    Fuel level float
    Mfg Part number 100437

It was made by:
    DATCON Instrument Company
    PO Box 128
    East Petersburg, PA 17520
    Phone: 717-569-5713
    FAX: 717-569-7247

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

It's fine. All senders I have seen have the rheostat submerged.

3. Bobacuda

Bobacuda

Thanks for the quick response. I feel much better about it now.