Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mystery ticking in a SBC ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Apr 21, 2014.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Maybe it was a sticking starter bendix and pinion was just kissing the flex plate?

2. That could easily do it too.

Bob

3. 54vicky

54vicky

probably a curse put on by that last guy you surprised.hopefully you dont have it return from the twilight zone

4. Hey Mac 55,,when it does finally blow and you start the rebuild,be sure to invite verde742 over to help you...Hahahahahahaha

5. 9200 IH

9200 IH

This might sound stupid but I had it happen on a big truck motor. It had ticking noise that I could not really located. It turned out being a little stip of the fan belt was coming apart. You did mention you had the fan belt off just before the ticking went away. This wouldn't explain the oil pressure though.

6. The oil pressure rise could be just a simple gauge malfunction too.
    Coincidental ?

7. Mac_55

Mac_55

It could be. Im going to replace that aswell. Got off work and slung it up on jackstands and dropped the fle xplate. I cant see any cracks and cant hear one when i ring it. Getting a new one anyhow and a new starter
    . Once those are changed then ill be doing the oil change and checking the filter.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. verde742

verde742

i don't think I said spray it down, I would hope they would do it carefully as a last resort.

ever had a cracked piston skirt in a 265?

9. From the "how to find an exhaust leak thread"

There you go

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  10. verde742

verde742

sorry I thought I meant three different ways, ain't no pro, just a sick old man,
    shooting from the hip.

11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Had this happen...also had a tick from the oil dipstick going in wrong and hitting the crank...plus had my rockers hitting the valve covers...fun stuff

12. Mac_55

Mac_55

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sticky lifter?

14. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Carbon sounds most convincing...from 'distant memories'.

The rise in oil pressure is the real hannenframous...

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Don't you know street racing is illegal? You think you're in "Oklahoma" or something (Discoveries Street Outlaws show)? But seriously, what engine is in the car? IF it still has a stock pistoned 265, they were notorious for valve-to-piston interferrence when over revved (factory did a lot of warranty work when new). They had flat top pistons WITHOUT valve reliefs! My first thought was a hydraulic lifter tick; something plugged up, and then cleared itself eventually. Another thought is, Chevrolet oil pumps retain the oil pump pressure regulator spring with a ROLL PIN, and I have seen those bend/break. I've also seen the same thing with aluminum Powerglides breaking the pump priming valve pin, again a roll pin; they then loose ALL pressure and NO-GO. Another thought, but something you'd have noticed from the get go, would be an added on, aftermarket oil pressure gauge with all copper/steel line that "telegraphs" the pump pulse into a tick-tick-tick inside the car (had that happen when I was just a kid); either use plastic line, or a small segment of high pressure rubber line spliced in to stop the telegraphing. I've dealt with Ford fuel pumps ticking, but not Chevrolet fuel pumps, not that it's impossible. Put that Dura-Max in it's place! More about the car; engine, trans, rear end/gearing. I love a sleeper. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  17. First page

18. stimpy

stimpy

HEY.. I found my watch ! kind of oily ....

glad the noise went away , still this would have me wondering if it was something in the pan and the pump . well do the oil change and still check the filter .

I remember working on a old Conti flat 6 that had a tick , and it drove us nuts , when I adjusted the valves the stems did look right one was a touch higher than the rest , didn't think nothing of it till the unit lost power and the boss said pull it down its rebuild time as it was old , pulled the head and the valve was stuck a smidge open by a chunk of broken carbon and it finally ate the seat away on the valve , it was enough to allow it to somewhat fire but also make the noise .

19. Mac_55

Mac_55

When I got home from work yesterday evening I had enough time to jack the car up and slide the trans back from the engine a few inches . The old flexplate was chewed a bit so I ordered a nice SFI plate and it came in today . So when I got off work this afternoon I installed the new plate along with a new starter " soooooooo much better than what it was " I also needed to do valve cover gaskets so I knocked those out real quick , re did the oil pressure gauge line , and did an Oil change . I always run a zinc additive in my oil and last week I added a quart of trans fluid and let it run for a while each day to help clean some gunk out before I did the oil change.

I took the old filter and my tin snips and took a look inside . The only metallic I could see was the "in my opinion" tpical haze you can see in the oil , if held under a light when you can see microscopic almost reflections .... However in the filter fibers I found something odd . Some plastic granules , it almost looks like table salt . Not a massive amount , maybe 5-15 granules in each fold of the paper filter . Im not 100% sure what that would be from . However it does seem the pressure is starting to drop back to normal a little . I am going to run it a little while and do another oil change on it next week . Ohh , and a few orange paint flakes. As I said earlier , ive never been into this engine . It was in an old truck I was doing for a fella and my pink chevy was sitting without a mill . Engine ran good so it got slam dunked to make a driver.

20. Mac_55

Mac_55

Verrrryy Skinny road . We don't do big runs out here . Our biggest rule is If the other guy puts more than a car length on you by the halfway mark then you get out of the throttle .

21. Granules -
    Never been inside -

Nylon timing gear?

22. My thoughts, exactly. Also, I have seen teflon tape do weird things in an engine, too.
    The sleeve connecting the dist shaft to the oil pump drive might be plastic?
    I,ve seen pieces of gasket cause trouble, too.

23. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

If you are going too change the oil again put a can of Marvel Mystery oil in it.

24. oldolds

oldolds

That's my vote. Small pieces of the gear in the oil pump making the ticking. The also could have made their way into the relief spring, jamming that up. causing high oil pressure. Relief spring is easy to check on sbc, right at oil filter.

25. I had a "mystery" tick :confused: and it turned out to be a tiny crack in the piston in the wrist pin hole.
    Good luck.

26. hoodprop

hoodprop

Thought I had tick turned out to a bad exhaust gasket. Annoying as hell but I can deal with it.

27. greybeard360

greybeard360

That is the oil filter bypass NOT the pressure relief. The oil pressure relief valve is in the pump.

28. spanners

spanners

I know it's not the same type of engine but my Holden six cylinder had an annoying tick and it turned out to be the drive gear on the distributor was flogged out where the crush pin went through. I caught it before it disintegrated completely and left me stranded.

29. I've found many a foreign object in oil pans that I couldn't identify, any oil filter I've cut up has had scant items within it. Over time even soft materials like edges of gaskets will calcify and appear to be as hard as heck.

So the OP has a minor dilema... take it apart or change the oil a few times and keep pounding on it. I would make sure I had a short block waiting in the wings regardless...

Bob