Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 700 R Gurus...I need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48 Poncho, Apr 24, 2014.

1. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I have a 700R in my 48 Poncho. I bought a Lokar Kick down cable set up for it. I have gone over it about 4 different times and know I have it set up as it is supposed to be.

My problem is that it doesn't shift from first to second until about 35-40 mph. It then shifts fine the rest of the way to OD. The fluid level is good.

I have done all I know to do without purchasing another cable and putting it on.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

48 Poncho

2. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  3. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Thanks Greg. If you are referring to the shifting arm I also bought the cable kit for it too. It shifts and goes into each gear fine.

If that's not what you are talking about then just consider me a dumbass :D.

48 Poncho

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

He is talking about the carb throttle leaver if it isn't correct its imposable to set the throttle pressure.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The throttle valve (TV) cable is not a kickdown like in other transmissions. It is critical to set it correctly or your transmission will be toast within no time at all. The cable and throttle cable need to be precisely located in relation to each other and operate in a specific manner. Bowtie Overdrives manufacture specific brackets to suit different carburetors.

TCI also manufacture a constant pressure valve body as well to allow for poor adjustment. I've heard varying reports on these. Essentially, correct TV adjustment will make your transmission work like it was designed to work.

6. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

OK sorry. The whole set up is Lokar.The throttle cable , the kickdown cable , the return springs and all the brackets are all Lokar. Basically all was just a bolt on. I've had this whole set up on 2 other cars that had turbo 350's in them. This was my first 700R and the first time I've ever had a problem like this.

Thanks for setting me straight Saltflats.

48 Poncho

7. was the problem there before you installed the new cable?
    or was this trans a new install?
    just trying to invision it in my head. pics would help.
    did the kit bring a bracket to install on the carb?

8. txturbo

txturbo

They aren't talking about the brackets. They mean the arm that you need to attach to the carb linkage. What carb are you using? How about a pic of the carb linkage and bracket you are using. On a turbo 350 all you need is a bracket near the carb to hold the end of the cable. For a 700 you need a bracket to hold the end of the cable and a special adaptor to attach to the carb linkage.

9. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I don't have any pics at the moment. It was a new rebuilt trans install. Yes the kit had a bracket to install both throttle and kickdown at the carb. I am using an Edelbrock 600. Yes it also had an adaptor that attached off the carb. The throttle cable runs above the kickdown.

I just hope it doesn't wind up being internal. The car seemed to shift fine at first but after getting some miles on it the problem started.

48 Poncho

10. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

11. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Forgot I had these on the phone. Hope these will help you help me!

48 Poncho

12. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

It might be my eye's but it doesn't look like there is a lever bolted to the carb linkage itself.If you have the TV cable hooked to the linkage that came on the carb that is the problem

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please stop calling this a kick down cable. It is almost everything but. It is called a throttle valve cable, or TV cable.

And yes, you MUST purchase and install the geometry correction bracket in post #3, or you risk burning up the transmission.

The pull range and angle on the Edelbrock carburetor is correct for a TH350, not a 700R4.

14. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I'm pretty sure its there but will check for sure tomorrow.

48 Poncho

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you did not specifically purchase it and install it, it is not there.

16. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

17. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

This is the same set up mine has. I just had my tranny gone through. One of the things that it did was hold first pretty high similar to yours. Tranny guy backed off a small amount on the cable adjustment and it allowed the tranny to shift sooner.

I had read that with the throttle fully open the cable must be tight. Mine was but wound up being a little too tight. Hope that helps.

18. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

If you didn't bolt one of there on that is the problem[​IMG]

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Another thought if bracket does not solve your problem, I know another fellow who had issues when the governor failed. When fixed, the transmission shifted fine again.

20. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Guys I cant begin to tell you how much I appreciate your help in all of this. At best I'm just a weekend shadetree mechanic and depend on a lot of other's help. Now I can't wait to get up in the morning and go check it out closer. Now that I undersand it I do not remember putting that on when hooking it all up but I don't remember having it or seeing it in the instructions either.

Thanks everybody! I knew I could depend on the HAMB!

48 Poncho

21. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Poncho that lever doe's not come with the lokar kit. You will have to buy it seperatly.

22. txturbo

txturbo

All I see is the parts that come with the carb. There is another piece you are missing. On a 700 you can't just connect the cable to the carb linkage unless its a totally stock setup. You don't have that since its an aftermarket carb.

23. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Just an update. Ordered that bracket this morning. Also called Lokar. They told me that they had several calls about the same problem although they had a car with the TV cable bolted to the Edelbrock carb linkage in their store and it shifted great. Told me they did not put an adjusting bracket with their kits since it "didn't" happen on every setup. Funny thing is I called about this before and nothing was ever mentioned about the bracket being a possible solution.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!

48 Poncho

24. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Just an update. Part came in late yesterday evening. Got up this morning went to the garage and installed it. Tested it out and now it shifts from 1st to 2nd between 15 - 20 mph.
    Thanks again everybody!!!!!

48 Poncho

25. Ralph

Ralph

Thank you for reporting back. So many guys fix the problem they had, but never report back what it took to fix it!

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, that was a nice turnaround. We had a couple of these problems at the shop, examined governors, and my partner finally made a bracket to change the TV cable geometry, providing a 'progressive' action.

The cable has to be tensioned more gradually than throttle, ending up at the end of its travel at wide open throttle.

There were NO advertised retro brackets at that time. This is welcomed.

27. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Steve glad to here that fixed your problem
    Gregg