Register now to get rid of these ads!

DeSoto Cam And Roller Lifter UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Feb 17, 2009.

1. I'm using the Stock DeSoto drive gear...

2. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I just got done modifying a 318 camshaft gear drive for my 341 Desoto. Wasn't too hard. The cam is a roller from Contrerras. Unfortunately the roller lifters were too short and I ended up grinding a bit of material from the lifter crossbar and milling some of the lifter gallery top until the crossbars had about 1/16" clearance from the top of the gallery. The front of the cam jounal acts as the thrust bearing against the 4-bolt plate on the front of the block. S far-so good. Unfortunately the hole in the plate is only 1-5/8" in diameter and was too small for the snout on the back of the cam gear. I ended up boring the plate to 1.800" to clear the snout. This leaves only .100" all around the edge of the plate to act as a thrust bearing, but with good oiling it should be enough. The gear went on OK, but sat in too far and the gear locked up against the bolts holding on the plate. I made a 1/8" shim to sit behind the snout which not only kept the gear off the bolts, but also put the gear dead center on the idler gear. Next I had to drill and tap a 5-15' X 18 hole near the bottom of the block to attach the lower end of the idler gear plate. Before drilling, place a piece of newspaper in between the gear teeth which will give the proper clearance between gears. The idler gear bearing is recessed about 3/8" inside the gear and looks to me like it would run dry without some direct oiling. I added an oiler to the front of the timing cover. The oil will exit out a .038" nozzle and squirts directly on the bearing. I think it will work out well.

Attached Files:

3. JaBoney

JaBoney

Hi guys. Very interesting thread that I would like very much to join in on if you don't mind. I'm building a 330 Desoto with a U-Fab Log manifold and four Holley 94's.I talked to Johansen and Neilson about a regrind cam however now I want a roller cam too!

Did those cheap china made Max Speeding Lifters hurt your engine much 345 Desoto?

Who here on the Hamb has purchased roller cam lately and from who.

Also, I heard from and experience fellow to stay far away from Ross forged Pistons too! Now what do I do?

Just want to keep the discussion going.;)

4. 73RR

73RR

Can you elaborate on what you heard about Ross?
    If you need an alternative, we offer RaceTec/AutoTec at very competitive prices.

5. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Been retired form the engine building bussiness for a while but I was a Ross dealer.. sold a ton of them and I cant remember ever having a quality issue.

6. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I got Arias Pistons in my 354 Chrysler it was what my machinist chose based on sizes that they had and what he felt the bore should be.

But that being said I have not heard anything bad about Ross.

We shall see what I'm gonna do in the 291 when I get to it in a million years

7. JaBoney

JaBoney

I'm just gonna relay info from a cam grinder and engine builder who bought like ten sets of Ross pistons all of which were bad. They warrantied a few but had to eat the bulk of em. Rather not name names.:(

8. DJ909au

DJ909au
    from Sydney

Hi everyone, I'm very new here, Dave from Sydney, Australia, this looks like a great place to discuss stuff.... and I know nothing about Mopar Engines, (hope I can learn something every time I tune in to this forum) I just obtained a 291 Desoto that I want to fix up a bit. Not sure exactly how far I will go with it yet but I'd like at this stage but the plan is to get it rebuilt to running stage and to fabricate a manifold and use a 6-71 on it with a bug catcher and EFI 'under' the manifold aimed into the ports.. that's the vague plan..
    Question 1... Hey EARLYHEMIBILL nice job with those gears, how has it worked out and what is the timing cover you have used there, (I know nothing about Mopar Engines)
    Question 2... 345 Desoto what is your thoughts on why those (reasonably priced) roller lifters failed, any more to add to that story , did you have very stiff valve springs or an aggressive cam grind ??
    I've got other questions about con rods etc, but I'll have to find a suitable discussion thread here to ask those questions later.

9. 73RR

73RR

10. DJ909au

DJ909au
    from Sydney

Hey 73RR, Yes I've been reading in there for a while now, its great to get info from guys who have been and done it so many times rather than rely on what one particular author may say.

11. flat-bill

flat-bill

Just recently received my Donny Johansen roller cam and Howards solid roller lifters for my 330 Desoto. I'm going through the motor now. All looks good so far. Billk

Locomotive Breath likes this.
  12. 73RR

73RR

flat-bill any updates or photos you'd like to share?