Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 Desoto Speedometer Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coreythompsonhm, Apr 24, 2014.

1. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

I just picked up a 1953 Desoto speedometer to use in my 1930 model A build. The inside surface of the glass is dirty. In order to get the glass out, the outer chrome ring needs to be removed. The edge of the chrome ring is crimped in four places to the housing. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to removing the ring without distorting it? Pictures will be posted when I get home from work.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

Very carefully try and work it with a pocket screw driver. That's the best I can offer.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Be very careful of the face of the speedo. They can be damaged or smudged very easily. If it is dirty, it may be safest to leave it alone. Or you could try very gently cleaning with distilled water and a Q tip and cotton balls. Try an inconspicuous spot first to be sure the paint won't come off.

4. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

Thank you. That is what I was thinking as well.

That brings up another question. The green indicator light lens looks like its either heavily cracked or crazed. I'm going to see if I can find a NOS replacement for it, but have entertained the idea of casting one in resin. Anyone have any luck with that?

Edit: The speedo face looks very clean, there seems to be a very slight layer of dust on the inside of the glass lens. I'm going to just sit on it and decide whether the dust on the lens is worth the effort of cleaning or not.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

5. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

It took me way to long to get these pictures posted. Sorry guys.

Anyways. I have completed cleaning it. One of the very large O-rings between the trim ring and glass was very dry and falling apart, so I found some larger O-rings that had the right thickness and spliced them together to make a ring big enough. Still need to figure out what to do about the cracked turn signal indicator lens. Otherwise, everything cleaned up very nicely!

cars 001.jpg cars 006.jpg cars 007.jpg cars 008.jpg cars 011.jpg

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There are many small LEDs and warning lights made for electronics. Any electronic supply place should have a couple of little red and green warning lights either LED or with light bulbs.